PDA

View Full Version : Grass Fed Briski ! ..( Bludog Landarc)

VoodoChild
09-23-2015, 09:00 PM
So I went looking for Packers at Costco , Smart and Final and Wal mart today ...Nothing but Select... Decided No on select ..Went to meat market and Asked for briskit and they said they dont sell packers Just the whole thing . So I got Like this 28 Pound Slab and the guy offered to cut and trim the rib etc After all was said and Done I ended up with this ...
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/20150922_142304_zpsbgcbf9bk.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/teampwr2/media/20150922_142304_zpsbgcbf9bk.jpg.html)

A pretty big Slab of the rib meat and about a 13pound briskit...He then asked if I was going to smoke it . I said yes and I never really had grass Fed Vs What ever it is I get from Costco ...He then advised that this is alot less forgiving and suggested smoke at 200 due to meat being lean.
What Does the Brethren Say ?
It is Alot more Dark in color than what Im used to .And I paid Like 7.00 a pound So I thought I would Check in with those In the Know On grass Fed...
Anytips tricks or Advise is appreciated.before I Cook !!!

landarc
09-23-2015, 09:07 PM
My experience with smoking grass fed brisket is that it is best to smoke them like you smoke all of the other briskets you cook, unless you ruin those too.

When I am up north, all I can get is local grass fed, and it cooks up just fine at 275°F. All the same rules apply, you need to render the collagen, reduce the water content and cook until tender. The flavor and texture will be different, that is inescapable as there is not as much marbling (except for Oregon coastal cattle). You have a smaller window for over-cooking, but, it is easy to hit.

on edit: I actually like the grass fed flavor however, I buy exclusively California and Oregon grass fed cattle.

On edit again: Looking at that fat on the brisket, it looks quite white, I would recommend not trimming any more than you have to. Leave the cap for sure.

SteveKing
09-23-2015, 09:10 PM
I call BS on cooking it at 200 because it is leaner. You'll end up making jerky outof it at 200. I'd go 275 with a water pan, keep the pit moist

Titch
09-23-2015, 09:11 PM
I have only cooked Grass fed, I followed Bigabytes tutorial and it came out great

buccaneer
09-23-2015, 09:16 PM
My experience with smoking grass fed brisket is that it is best to smoke them like you smoke all of the other briskets you cook, unless you ruin those too.

When I am up north, all I can get is local grass fed, and it cooks up just fine at 275°F. All the same rules apply, you need to render the collagen, reduce the water content and cook until tender. The flavor and texture will be different, that is inescapable as there is not as much marbling (except for Oregon coastal cattle). You have a smaller window for over-cooking, but, it is easy to hit.

on edit: I actually like the grass fed flavor however, I buy exclusively California and Oregon grass fed cattle.

On edit again: Looking at that fat on the brisket, it looks quite white, I would recommend not trimming any more than you have to. Leave the cap for sure.

Yes, exactly.

We get mostly grass fed beef here, and I cook it the same for sure, 275 or above.
That looks to be nice beef, cook with confidence!
I would only trim if there is a part that was too thick, otherwise have at it!

midwestsmokeboy
09-23-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm saying no to 200 I'd go 275

Bludawg
09-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Not much difference between GF and Select as far as marbling cook it like ya always do.

Decoy205
09-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Looks like a nice hunk o Beef!

chicagokp
09-23-2015, 09:55 PM
You could ship to me and I'll cook it for ya? :hungry:

Trailer Trash
09-23-2015, 10:56 PM
VooDoo, not to change direction here but what meat market was that here in AZ?

Headgear
09-24-2015, 05:15 AM

I'm confused about that meat! I raise totally grass fed beef and the fat has more of a yellow tint to it. I don't know what part of the country that came from but I would question it being grass fed. It sure does not look like 100% grass fed like ours does here in Indiana.

My fields are all a grass/clover mix and during the winter they are fed straight alfalfa. The only reason I bring it up is that a lot of people advertise grass fed but they finish them on grain and charge grass fed prices. It will cook the same either way though.

VoodoChild
09-24-2015, 10:08 AM
VooDoo, not to change direction here but what meat market was that here in AZ?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/20150924_075748_zpsl36sgrar.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/teampwr2/media/20150924_075748_zpsl36sgrar.jpg.html)

Thanks Everyone for the responses ..

Trailer Trash
09-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Thank Voodo, That's what I like about the Brethren; If a supplier is worthy of mention, it's gets around. Best advertising ever. "Word of Mouth".