PDA

View Full Version : need your best blackstone tips

bradymartin
09-23-2015, 07:59 PM
if theres another similar thread on here a link would be nice.

ive used it only 4 times so far.

my only issue is i find im using way too many paper towels.

i keep it in my garage covered with the half of the box it came with. i plan to get the cover or just some rain tarp.

so being in the garage dust obviously gets on the griddle. before cooking i pour water on it and wipe it down to get any dust off. burners on evaporates the remaining moisture.

for cleaning i pour water while hot, maybe some salt to get gunk off. then wipe it down. then more paper towels to put some oil on it.

i have a lot of microfiber towels that you get at costco the yellow ones. im wondering if i can use one of those for every few uses but it would get dirty.

just need your best tips

93vpmod
09-23-2015, 08:43 PM
I have been using some old white hand towels. Get them good and wet, let them sit on the griddle to get warm/hot and then clean the griddle.

I take them inside, rinse with plenty of Dawn and warm water, then into the wash machine-double cycle. They come out nearly spotless!

Demosthenes9
09-23-2015, 09:32 PM
How many paper towels are you using ? By my count, you would have used 3 at most.

landarc
09-23-2015, 09:54 PM
We used to use white cotton kitchen towels, restaurant supply type. Cheaper and better than paper towels.

Kloogee
09-24-2015, 08:49 PM
I use a towel as well. Works out well for me. I've got a couple I use that aren't used for anything but the griddle.

Flatheadyoungin
10-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Are you washing them or just pitching the towels? I go through a ton of paper towels.

bradymartin
10-01-2015, 09:24 PM
im just using regular paper towels from costco, they are good. i got it down to 6 towels per cook and i can live with that

DBBQ
10-01-2015, 09:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing on my first day using the blackstone, and seasoning it. I used a ton of paper towels. I think in the future, I will not use as much.

Pyle's BBQ
10-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Once you are done cooking, clean as suggested in the instructions, spray with Pam and then cover with plastic wrap.

Dr. Trout Bum
10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Anyone have any tips for the grease trap? I have seen reference to people somehow bending a paper clip and sticking it in the hole so the grease runs down the clip and into the trap. Anyone do this?

Flatheadyoungin
10-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Yes, did my first cook tonight- was excited to catch my liquid gold bacon grease but some of it went through the hole and ran back the angle iron and on to the ground. I had to set the dripping catcher sideways to catch it.

I was trying to think what I could weld on the bottom side to divert it.

Anyone have any tips for the grease trap? I have seen reference to people somehow bending a paper clip and sticking it in the hole so the grease runs down the clip and into the trap. Anyone do this?

cowgirl
10-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Here's a good idea, it's 1" tubing. I haven't welded one on mine yet but might.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3279705&postcount=22

Here's the whole thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212773&highlight=blackstone

Dr. Trout Bum
10-06-2015, 08:59 PM
I remember that post. Sadly, I can't weld.

cowgirl
10-06-2015, 09:03 PM
I remember that post. Sadly, I can't weld.

I wonder if JB Weld would work. Might be worth a try.