PDA

View Full Version : Weekend cook 11/10-11/12

thillin
11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
I started the weekend cook of 2 butts. I'll throw on a couple of Italian fatties and some deer sausage later today.
Here's the butts injected and rubbed with Chris Lilly's recipe. One more off my BBQ goal list. I've used the injection before, but always used a commercial rub. So I tried his rub today.

TexasGuppie
11-10-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm kind of cheatin' this weekend: NO COOKING.

I will be PREPPING for a large (by my standards) cook on Tuesday night for a meeting at work on Wednesday.

2-13# packer trimmed briskets.
20 BBQ'd chicken thighs.
A full case of spares.
Wisconsin Potato Salad.
Pot 'o Pintos.
Corn on the Cob.
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed ABT's.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders stuffed with Ham & Cheese.
6 Fatties.I'll post pics.

Ken

Harbormaster
11-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Trimmed and rubbed 2 brisket last night. Have friends (married couple) coming over after work, so I will fire up the WSM when they get here. I think he might like to see what Q is about, and maybe I can entice another one to the dark side. (HmmHmmHmmWaahaahaahaa!) Also going to indirect a batch of Hebrew National franks for supper. Guess the Secretary of Domestic Tranquility will be going hungry.

tjus77
11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Prolly doing a pot roast in the dutch oven over the fire Sat. Steaks tonight on the gasser if the weather holds out. Won't be doing Q'ing till I get my pit on the 21st. Did I tell you I am getting a new pit? Sorry, I'm kinda giddy

Brauma
11-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Supposed to rain here both Sat & Sun but Im still planning on finishing up smoking my garlic before the rain starts Sat.

Arlin_MacRae
11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
No idea. Any suggestions? :biggrin:

The_Kapn
11-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Just a "test" cook on some chickie.
Always looking for answers :redface:

Have a gud'um y'all :lol:

TIM

Q_Egg
11-10-2006, 08:23 AM
...... will be applying all I learned this week to another batch of 'thick' pork loin chops. Sure hope they are the best ever!

thillin's Chris Lilly butts look dang good already!

chingador
11-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I am smoking 3 chickens and will finish with Bob Gibson's white sauce, recipe courtesy Peace Love & Barbeque. Probably a rack or 2 of baby backs. I am also planning a couple of fattys. I am not crazy about the breakfast sausage flavor, so I am using Johnsonville bratwurst and italian sausage instead. I am planning on stuffing with peppers and onions on the italian and saurkraut, onions and swiss on the brat.

tommykendall
11-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm smokin' a couple big bowls

of brined yellowfin tuna

Bill-Chicago
11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I'll be laying anniversary pipe

Q_Egg
11-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Congratulations !! Do a fine job ! :oops:

Kirk
11-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Sunday's the only day I have any real time to cook and it looks like rain. :mad:
Maybe I'll just try to do some chicken real quick Saturday instead. I'm still working on something that's presentable for comps. Getting there but not satisfied yet.

Porky
11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Two pork butts, 2-briskett flats and some rib tips on my new Backwoods Party w/Guru that I just got. I'll have to put up the pop up ntent because of the rain on Sunday.

jpw23
11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I just put 16 chicken thighs on......first time doing chicken.

RichardF
11-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I am smoking 3 chickens and will finish with Bob Gibson's white sauce,
White sauce on Q (or anything for that matter), YUCK :-)

MrMike
11-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I'll be doing my practicie run for Thanksgiving - a bone in chicken breast and a couple of boneless turkey breasts. Will be brining the chicken, and just doing a rub on the turkey....

And not covering the water pan....

Mike

ushi
11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I planned to do a practice run for thanksgiving, but I played video games instead of going to the store last night. I believe instead I need to take a "research" trip to lockhart for smitty's bbq, need to figure out what my brisket is missing. Pigging out on sausage is also a plus.

thillin
11-10-2006, 11:38 AM
A little while ago I added the 2 Italian fatties, 2 fresh brats and 2 jollypeno sausages. I found some chopped "wet" brisket from Rudy's in the freezer. So breakfast was brisket and egg tacos.
In progress pics at http://paddlinpigsbbq.wordpress.com/.

Ty

Rockaway BeachBQ
11-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I have a brisket flat in the Primo right now at an internal temp of 170 with the Guru in Ramp mode hoping to keep it in until 5 or 6 tonight. I have some fingerlings I will toss in later as well. I have some wings that I think I will deep fry as well, the cast iron dutch oven has some oil in it already.

chingador
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
White sauce on Q (or anything for that matter), YUCK :-)

I thought so too until I tried it. It compliments the chicken very well. You pick up the tangyness of the vinegar more than the mayo, which just rounds out the sauce and tames the acidity of the vinegar.

tommykendall
11-10-2006, 12:59 PM

me too. 22 years today.

thillin
11-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Butts are holding at 160*. The fatties and other sausages taste great. There are pics on my blog if you can't wait for the main attraction.

Grumpy's Q
11-10-2006, 02:47 PM
That's the way to go Ty. I will have one butt injected and rubbed with Chris Lilly's recipe for tomorrow. Two racks of baby backs to boot. That Lilly's rub is good on the ribs as well.

Pyle's BBQ
11-10-2006, 05:24 PM
It snowed this afternoon here in Des Moines. I won't be doing anything for a while. Sucks to be me.

butts
11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Test run on turkey for Thanksgiving.

This years meats are smoked turkey, prime rib, and fried oysters.

SmokeInDaEye
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
I was hoping to break in my new WSM with a brisket tomorrow night but it looks like it's going to pour rain most of the weekend. Aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh.

The_Kapn
11-10-2006, 07:00 PM
I was hoping to break in my new WSM with a brisket tomorrow night but it looks like it's going to pour rain most of the weekend. Aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh.

Got a carport, garage, or canopy?????????

TIM

jpw23
11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
A little while ago I added the 2 Italian fatties, 2 fresh brats and 2 jollypeno sausages. I found some chopped "wet" brisket from Rudy's in the freezer. So breakfast was brisket and egg tacos.
In progress pics at http://paddlinpigsbbq.wordpress.com/.

Ty

Checked out your website.....very cool!!! Very informative!!!

Ron_L
11-10-2006, 07:09 PM
me too. 22 years today.

Happy anniversary to both of you!

I don't have any cooking plans this weekend.

SmokeInDaEye
11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Got a carport, garage, or canopy?????????

TIM

As a matter of fact, yes. I just repaired my big tent a few weeks ago and should really test it out. Thanks Tim. Just needed a kick in the butt.

BTW, can someone with a WSM tell me if the little hole on the lip of the water pan is for anything? Otherwise looks pretty darn easy.

thillin
11-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Here's the finished product. I have more photos on my site if this isn't enough.:cool:

Smok'nCW
11-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Looks good, I won't have time to smoke this weekend, I finally got my material to build my garage. So I will be puttin her up the rest of this month.

Q_Egg
11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
.....love that smoke ring! ..... great lookin' P-P

Kung Fu BBQ
11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
No cooking for me. it makes me sad.

Kevin
11-11-2006, 05:38 AM
2 butts, packer brisket, beef ribs and a turkey thawing in the cooler outside since Thursday night. It's 12 farkin degrees right now. I may have to rethink my cunning plan!

deez20
11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Did 3 racks of BB's on the WSM tonight and boy were they good. :-P

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 06:25 AM
It's Sunday just after 6am. Overslept an hour but no biggie. Colder than the proverbial witch's tit in a brass bra this morning! Temp said 27 out there! :shock: Got an eleven pound brisket on the WSM at straight up 6am. Flanked each side of it on the rack with turkey fatties rolled in Spicewine's Hen n Hog Dust, a little fresh ground pepper and some Kosher salts and wrapped in bacon. I'm hoping the fatties are done before we leave for church at 10am. Sure could use some good eats beforehand! :wink: Should have some brisket to snack on while watching the Broncos pummel the Raiders!

Pretty sunrise here in town and I've got a nice hot cup of coffee and food is on! Although it looks like a mid day photo of the meat, I actually had my dual halogen "Spicewine Smoker Illuminating Device" shining on the WSM! hehehe!

EDIT: To add to my morning, I decided what the fark and started my first fire in the fireplace of the season! It doesn't get any better.

cmcadams
11-12-2006, 06:30 AM
I did a turkey, 3 turkey breasts, a fattie, an armadillo egg, some of what I call pit beef, and the 4 quarters of a small deer.

Jeff, how did the turkey fatties come out?

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Just got 'em on, Curt. Decided to cook today instead of yesterday.I just added a couple of photos above.

tjus77
11-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Well I was going to have some pron, but when I went to get the camara the crew dug in to grub. Wasn't much left to photogragh. I cooked a big ol' chuck roast, taters and carrots in dutch oven over open fire. Damn it came out good, hardly enough left over for sammich.

Going to try my hand at fatties today. Hope my old pit can handle one more fire up.

Pic Tease

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
My turkey fatty photo and results are in my turkey fatty thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21740

Brisket is wrapped at 165 degrees in farking 3 and a half hours!! That's in 30 degree weather! WTF? Anyway, time to go put on the two slabs of ribs in Hen n Hog Dust and clean up for church while meat burns...

sterlingsmoker
11-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I cooked up 2 butts,2fatties,12 ABTs in the Cookshack.

Bill-Chicago
11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
me too. 22 years today.
Congrats TK.

8 years for me.

Had an awesome time.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Tower versus the Courtyard suites RonL. I think we were the 2nd or 3rd guest at best since the rennovation. Extremely new, while the Courtyard area was still stuck in 1976.

Saw Jason Robinson (http://www.jasononstage.com/) at Zanies Comedy Club. That guy is funny. Haven't laughed like that in a while. You get a chance to see him, do it. We were front row center, and were part of the act for both comedians.

Saw the movie "The Departed". Anyone not seen it, git to it, before its off the wide screen. Jack Nicholaus, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Leonardo DeCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, and others, all brought to a Martin Scorsece (sp) best. Awesome.

But, alas, this thread is about food.

Dropped good coin on good food.

I started with Lager soup and the wife had lobster bisque. It was a marriage made in heaven. The chef somehow combined two great things, beer and soup, and made it something that is indescribably awesome. Over the top by adding apple smoked crumbled bacon bits and scallions to it. It was an orgasm in a bowl. Wife liked the bisque too.

2 small half loaves of bread, one whole grain, one parlsy-garlic-thyme-oregano all made same day fresh served hot, with a scoop of regular FRESH butter on the side, and one scoop of butter with cinnamon spice. Holy chit was that stuff good.

Drinks came. Place is known for their infusion martini's. Take Absolut Vodka, and infuse them with flavor, and left sit for a minimum of 14 days.

I had apple spice, and my wife had pineapple. $7.50 each and worth every red cent.

Main course was an 8oz fillet, garlic mashed for me, wife had this shrimp pasta thing. I order my filets medium well as both a preference, and a test. Very few restaurants can hit medium well. Ruth's Chris missed last month, and Sullivans misses almost all the time. This place (Harvest, Pheasant Run in St.Charles) was spot in. Outside peppercorn crust with a slight char, 1/4" in was "well", then varying degrees of doneness over the 2" of filet to get to the middle which is pink with NO bood.

It was Perfect!

So its burgers tonight to finally snap out of my 2 day food coma, but a great time we had indeed.

Congrats again TK, and Q-Egg, I laid enough pipe to keep me happy for weeks.

Plumbing mod

(Again, thanks RonL, your rec really made the difference. I coulda save $80, but had a terrible time)

big brother smoke
11-12-2006, 01:49 PM
"So its burgers tonight to finally snap out of my 2 day food coma, but a great time we had indeed.

Congrats again TK, and Q-Egg, I laid enough pipe to keep me happy for weeks."

Plumbing mod

Thanks for not sharing pics!:shock:

Bill-Chicago
11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for not sharing pics!:shock:

Check PM :twisted:

Wine & Swine
11-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Check PM :twisted:

Oh geeez. I got out of Chicago just in time!:biggrin:

Just finished cooking some boneless shortribs on the last couple coals left in the WSM from my virgin brisket cook last night. They weren't quite done so I've now thrown them into a pot with crushed tomatoes, a can of guiness and some seasoning and am going to let it cook slowly the rest of the evening. Hopefully it will make a nice pasta sauce...

SmokeInDaEye
11-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh geeez. I got out of Chicago just in time!:biggrin:

Just finished cooking some boneless shortribs on the last couple coals left in the WSM from my virgin brisket cook last night. They weren't quite done so I've now thrown them into a pot with crushed tomatoes, a can of guiness and some seasoning and am going to let it cook slowly the rest of the evening. Hopefully it will make a nice pasta sauce...

Ooops. That was actually a post by me, not W&S. John came over for some brisket and hadn't logged out. I'm sure he'd love to see pix of you laying pipe, Bill!:mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
OK I'm officially ticked off! :mad: My brisket and ribs turned out farking AWESOME! Why am I ticked? Because they both were better than any I've done all season competing. :roll: Ribs had great flavor and came off the bone just right and were actually meaty (these were the enhanced ones I froze because I didn't want to cook 'em at the last Columbia contest). The brisket pulled apart just right, had a pretty decent smoke ring that contrasted in color nicely with the best bark we've done all year. And it was moist and didn't have that "roast beef" flavor I was so famous for all fall long! :roll: I filled the WSM this morning at 5am and did the Minion method and never had to light a chimney of charcoal again. Just tossed a few chunks of wood in every so often. As of 6:30 pm tonight after the Broncos game, I went out and even in this cold weather, it was STILL at 184 degrees! Still had a third of a bag of charcoal left! That was SWEET! Here's the results...

qman
11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
That is some gorgeous grub there Jeff. Maybe next year you could just turn in pictures of it, instead of cooking.:-D

Seriously, that is great looking stuff.

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks! And that's ALL I ate! hehe! Felt guilty even with that. Oh well, one meal a week isn't gonna hurt.

Oh and one other thing I forgot... the brisket I was cooking today was to be brisket chili for a chili contest NEXT weekend. So at church this morning, I find out that chili contest was TODAY! FARK!!!!!!!! Screwed the pooch on that one! Good thing I hadn't paid yet.

fivelombardis
11-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Happy Anniversary Brother Bill...oh, to keep on topic; brisket flat, sausage on saturday, and i grilled some T-bone steaks today.

cmcadams
11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Brisket looks great, Jeff!

I ended up with 1 turkey, 3 turkey breasts, a fatty, an armadillo egg and the front and hind quarters of a small deer which was soaked in red wine with peppercorns, rosemary and celery overnight. I took the hind quarters to 130 and rested, and the front quarters to 190, rested and pulled. It all came out really good. Then my wife made 12 quarts of smoked turkey stock today... GREAT stuff! Oh, I also made yeast rolls, getting ready for Tday and figuring out how to bake. I'll have photos tomorrow.

Sledneck
11-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks! And that's ALL I ate! hehe! Felt guilty even with that. Oh well, one meal a week isn't gonna hurt.

Oh and one other thing I forgot... the brisket I was cooking today was to be brisket chili for a chili contest NEXT weekend. So at church this morning, I find out that chili contest was TODAY! FARK!!!!!!!! Screwed the pooch on that one! Good thing I hadn't paid yet.

Whats them funny lookin green thangs in the last pic?

Jeff_in_KC
11-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Whats them funny lookin green thangs in the last pic?

FILLER!!! :lol:

Sledneck
11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I like that stuff as much as i like fred

Bill-Chicago
11-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Looks good Jeff

I see them pics, and I am tempted to say I'd rather been there.

Hmmmm.....

If you said "brisket" I would have passed, but your pictures.....

Sorry,,,,, I still need to lay the pipe :)

Great thread

Good weekend for all

Ron_L
11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
(Again, thanks RonL, your rec really made the difference. I coulda save $80, but had a terrible time)

I'm always glad to help spend other people's money! In fact, I'm an expert at it! :-D

Glad you had a nice weekend!

beerguy
11-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Congrats to the anniversary people. My oldest daughter got married this weekend, so I didnt cook, but ate well. Jeff, your pictures will be printed on my HP color printer and served for supper tonite! Ill sprinkle some Spicewine Hen and Hog dust on the paper, but it wont be the same as being there. Great looking grub everyone.

butts
11-14-2006, 05:50 PM
9 for appereance on the brisket Jeff...I could almost give a nine for tenderness as well.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Jeff the Brisket and Ribs look great. Can't understand how you only ate a little of it.:-D

thirdeye
11-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Man-o-man Jeff, total eye candy. It's tough enough to cook brisket, but it's REALLY hard to photograph it. Good job. And those ribs....I don't just see them, I can taste 'em.

Q_Egg
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
....... those results are unbelievable !! I guess I understand how you could be frustrated at not producing quite that great a cook at some comps. Really nice job! Thanks for the excellent pics too.

Jeff_in_KC
11-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments!