PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice on Smoker Build

Q Junkie
09-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Well, I have a 60 gallon compressor tank (20" Dia.) and a 47 gallon propane tank (24" Dia.) and want to make a vertical smoker. After much drinking, thinking and sketching, I think I have come up with a way to scratch a couple of my itches.:redface:
I also think I came up with a multi purpose design that might work. Because the bottom of the propane tank has some rust and a 1/4" pin hole I figured I would cut the bottom off and weld a 1/4" plate steel bottom in it, line it with a herringbone pattern fire brick bottom and weld part of the 60 gal. tank on top.

Being that most of my inspiration and musings come from the brain trust on this site, I am humbly asking for all of your thoughts and recommendations.
One of my main concerns are the cooking grates. Full round or flat on sides for easy removal? I also plan to have a heavy duty heat deflector over the entrance to the cook chamber that will be able to be removed.

cueball21
09-19-2015, 01:30 PM
:pop2:

landarc
09-19-2015, 01:46 PM
It's an interesting design, I am not at all sure where there might or could be problems. Never seen the likes of it before.

However, in terms of the grates, my issue with many vertical smokers with round grates is that they end up tippy. However you design the racks, make sure that the racks are fully supported

Q Junkie
09-19-2015, 01:53 PM
It's an interesting design, I am not at all sure where there might or could be problems. Never seen the likes of it before.

However, in terms of the grates, my issue with many vertical smokers with round grates is that they end up tippy. However you design the racks, make sure that the racks are fully supported

My plan was to run rails front to back with an anti tip catch, a small rail across the back and square off the sides of the grates. I just hate to lose that cooking space.

WildeMan
09-20-2015, 01:57 PM
You could still run full length rails under round grates, the grates would just sit on top of them as opposed to wrapping around the sides, so you wouldn't be able to have an anti-tip. They would slide straight in and out just fine as long as you make the door opening wide enough.

BigBobBQ
09-20-2015, 03:08 PM
interesting design. I bet it could turn out to be a great cooker. As for grates the round would be a little harder to put in and out because of having to tip them at an angle but it would gain you a little more area to cook on at the edges wher the square ones would have a gap at the edges.

Q Junkie
10-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Update: I just couldn't get myself to cut up a perfectly good compressor so I found an 80 gal. 24" dia. tank on craigs list so the design has changed slightly and will be all 24". The other tank was 20" and I would rather have the larger cooking area anyway.

Laid out for cutting the bottom bell off of the propane tank.

The green compressor in the background was the original donor tank.

Have to work out of town next week so I will not have the time to get the doors cut until probably next weekend.