PDA

View Full Version : Got a new smoker tonite

chris1281982
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
My wife and I went to pick up my new smoker this evening, I purchased a Old Country bbq pit. The pits are built in Texas. Just curious to see who has one or has cooked on one? I can finally get rid of the Char-griller. One more question? How long do you let your wood season before you start using it. I cut down some hickory trees 2 weeks and the wood was split that same day, it has also been stored in our heated garaged.

Thanks for the help

chris

nonthink
11-10-2006, 12:55 AM
I’m no expert on seasoning wood, but I’m pretty sure 2 weeks isn’t nearly enough.

Oh yeah, and good luck with the new shmoker

alages
11-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Congrats on the new smoker!!! I'm sure you'll be eating some great Q during the next weeks. Sorry I can't help you with the wood question (I have a pellet muncher) but I've read posts that mention guys waiting a year before they burn split wood to make sure it is dry enough.
Enjoy the new smoker!

FatDaddy
11-10-2006, 01:00 AM
6months is about average for seasoning wood

JamesB
11-10-2006, 02:59 AM
6, 9 or 12 months depending on a lot of things. Type of wood, humidity where it is stored etc. You will know it is ready when you start to see cracking in the end grains. Also when you can take two pieces and whack them together and they sound like two baseball bats clunking...

How about some pictures of that new pit? I ain't heard of them before...

James.

Puppyboy
11-10-2006, 03:38 AM
A 6 month season on the wood before it is used here.

chris1281982
11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
I will post some pictures this evening when I get back from work.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Chris

tjus77
11-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Congratulations! Happy cooking! Don't forget pics of food too!

kickassbbq
11-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm going with The FatDaddy Man,
6 months if it has been split.

Smoke On!!!!!

BBQ_MAFIA
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the new cooker.

backyardchef
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Enjoy the new cooker....Looking forward to seeing some pics. I've seen their website, and they look like nice pits.

http://www.bbquepits.com/

Dustaway
11-10-2006, 01:05 PM
enjoy the pit, 6 months for the wood

Smok'nCW
11-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Congrats on the new smoker. Looks like they have some nice smokers on their site.

bbqbull
11-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Congrats on the new cooker. 6 months on spit wood cure time here also. Whole logs take longer to cure.

QansasjayhawQ
11-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I guess we'll see when the pics get here, but which model did you score?

Here's a link to the backyard pit lineup (http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm).

I am seasoning apple wood right now. As a matter of fact, an entire apple TREE cut into 12" sections.
It's NOT split (:icon_shy) but I've had it since July.

I plan on using it next year.

Should I split it now?

/Brother Dave

The_Kapn
11-10-2006, 08:06 PM
I guess we'll see when the pics get here, but which model did you score?

Here's a link to the backyard pit lineup (http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm).

I am seasoning apple wood right now. As a matter of fact, an entire apple TREE cut into 12" sections.

Should I split it now?

/Brother Dave

Dave,

If you are using something else for "heat" like oak, the "flavor" woods do not need to be so well dried. That is assuming you use them in moderation.

I have burned Oak for heat and 2 month old peach for "flavor" just fine!

The trick is--RATIOS.

A little bit of flavor wood will go a long way, and not impart creosote if used sparingly.

Do not use fruit (flavor) woods for the primary heat source if they are not properly seasoned.

JMHO

TIM

chris1281982
11-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok here are the pictures of my smoker! Sorry about the picture quaility, I had my camera set on the lowest pixel.

Q_Egg
11-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok here are the pictures of my smoker! Sorry about the picture quaility, I had my camera set on the lowest pixel.
Oh Yeah!! Very nice hardware and good set of pics. No question you will enjoy it a ton ... and have some great BBQ in the process. Looking forward to some results and pics shortly.

All the best !!

teamwhidbey
11-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Nice looking smoker. Did you make that garage door just for it? Looks kinda small to squeeze a car through :wink:

bbqbull
11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
The pit looks exactly like a Klose- Owners Reccomend. I have one and you should be very very happy with it. Did you season it before the first cook?

thillin
11-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Should I split it now?

I split wood as I need it. The hickory I get is 6-8 inch splits that are 24 inches long. I split it much smaller when I use it. My pecan wood doesn't get split till I use it, unless I need some to season faster. I think it helps keep it from drying out too much, and retain flavor.

chris1281982
11-11-2006, 01:35 PM
The garage is kind of small, if I pull my Full Size truck in side I have to fold back the mirrors, I havent got to use it yet, hopefully tonite or tomorrow I have to buy a thermometer for it so I can monitor the temps, I have an oven one that would do for now but I need to buy one that screws in. Do you have any suggestions when seasoning the smoker, I usually take a pork butt and cook it and take the fat and wipe down the grates. Should I bring the temps up high so it will burn off any impurities inside?

thanks
chris

jpw23
11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Thats a good lookin' rig, I'm sure you'll have many enjoyable years with that!!!