PDA

View Full Version : Ground Brisket questions

broden
09-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Hi new here

we like to grind whole briskets for burgers, and it got me to wondering just what pre-ground meat you can buy in the store that it is comparable to, as in meat to fat percentages

just normal store bought briskets like you can get in most supermarkets, not ultra trimmed or anything like that. now i know obviously every brisket is different so there is no absolute answer but just on average what would they be closest to? 75/25 80/20 something else?

the only time we buy ground meat anymore is when we are making 50/50 burgers we buy 90/10 and a box of ends and pieces bacon to grind up and mix with it.

The_Kapn
09-14-2015, 09:36 AM
This may be of some help:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121196

You would probably want to trim some fat to get to less than 30% or so if your packers are similar to ours.

Good Eats!

TIM

SmokinJohn
09-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Are you going to stand there, living in the state of Texas, and tell us that you GRIND the holiest of holy meats into HAMBURGER? :sad::-o:shock: [cue dramatic music]

O.k., I'm better now.

According to nutritional charts, brisket has 6 grams of fat per 3oz (84 grams). That is 14% fat.

So I'm thinking 80/20.

broden
09-14-2015, 09:40 AM
This may be of some help:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121196

You would probably want to trim some fat to get to less than 30% or so if your packers are similar to ours.

Good Eats!

TIM

thanks

i did some searches but that thread never came up

broden
09-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Are you going to stand there, living in the state of Texas, and tell us that you GRIND the holiest of holy meats into HAMBURGER? :sad::-o:shock: [cue dramatic music]

O.k., I'm better now.

According to nutritional charts, brisket has 6 grams of fat per 3oz (84 grams). That is 14% fat.

So I'm thinking 80/20.

well we don't grind em all :-D

we got alotta briskets

SmokinJohn
09-14-2015, 09:43 AM
well we don't grind em all :-D

we got alotta briskets

Well throw some of those bad boys my way.....

LOL...and welcome to the Brethren...

broden
09-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Well throw some of those bad boys my way.....

LOL...and welcome to the Brethren...

we always got room for more when we're cookin

thank ya