PDA

View Full Version : Brisket spritz?

brimclau
09-13-2015, 12:05 PM
What does everybody use in their spray bottle for brisket? Of course, this question is for those who do spritz... Trying not to turn this into a debate on whether to spritz or not :becky:

landarc
09-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Spritz?!?! Never.

But, Worcestershire sauce diluted with water works well

Zin
09-13-2015, 12:26 PM
What does everybody use in their spray bottle for brisket? Of course, this question is for those who do spritz... Trying not to turn this into a debate on whether to spritz or not :becky:

50% oil of your choice, apple juice and worcestershire...the oil is what keeps the meat moist...make sure you shake the bottle every time before spritzing...let the bark set to your liking before spritzing...good luck.

Bludawg
09-13-2015, 12:54 PM
It's counter productive to open your pit for no gain

Bludawg
09-13-2015, 12:57 PM
50% oil of your choice, apple juice and worcestershire...the oil is what keeps the meat moist...make sure you shake the bottle every time before spritzing...let the bark set to your liking before spritzing...good luck.
Not true! Moist meat comes from proper cooking converting all the collagen into gelatin.

landarc
09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
I have used a spritz when wrapping the brisket, I actually dribble a little moisture onto the brisket then wrap in paper.

Jason TQ
09-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I haven't done it in a while, but used some form of a worcestershire concoction. Mixed with some apple cider vinegar or even some beer. You can definitely add another layer of flavor spritzing or mopping. I like playing with my bbq and nothing wrong with opening your pit to spritz.

Meatguyver
09-13-2015, 01:23 PM
1/2 cup martinellis apple juice.
2 tbsp wooster sauce.
1/4 cup hot sauce.
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar.

Normally use it on pork and chicken, but have also used it on brisky last time and it didnt affect the bark.

Zin
09-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Not true! Moist meat comes from proper cooking converting all the collagen into gelatin.

I agree about the collagen into gelatin...spritzing will also keep the bark moist and from over cooking.

Leftwngr
09-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Water. Nothing fancy. For smoke ring purposes more than anything.

brimclau
09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
I knew this topic would be somewhat controversial. :-o Thanks everyone for their input I have a brisket on and it's about four hours and I may not spritz because I still don't have the bark that I like.

Exocet
09-13-2015, 02:58 PM
I've used plain apple juice before. It turned out good.

Skip
09-13-2015, 04:48 PM
For an eater I wouldn't. in competition if you are so inclined as a way to layer flavor. I would think a mop would be a better delivery since the components you would want to use have a different specific gravity relative to each other and will separate. In the spray bottle you will have just one ingredient at a time in the tube. The fats, arguably the most important ingredient, will float.