PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Belly Crispy Skin

buccaneer
09-12-2015, 03:49 PM
I have the greatest seafood market not too far from here.
Take a look at the quality of this Tasmanian salmon! It is like wagyu!
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x370/IBuccaneer/DSC_0185_zps2bvczwnx.jpg

Tasmania is a lucky jewel, such a fantastic pristine environment, they make the best whisky in the world and have the greatest fish, lobster, oysters and seafood, along with fruits and beef!

Well, I got me some of that goodness and I cooked it rare yet with crispy skin!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x370/IBuccaneer/DSC_0183_zps1fv7kxxi.jpg

Soy and lemon plus tartar sauce.
It worked!!

:yo:

landarc
09-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I hate salmon, but, that is nicely cooked

Japan makes the best whiskey in the world

buccaneer
09-12-2015, 04:15 PM
I hate salmon, but, that is nicely cooked

Japan used to make the best whiskey in the world
Thanks landarc.
ftfy!
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/02/tasmanias-latest-export-best-whisky-world-australia
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/tassie-whisky-named-worlds-best-single-malt-357lc

:wink:

Ross in Ventura
09-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Sweet

Ross

KORND4WG X
09-12-2015, 06:06 PM
That looks incredible. We have a lot fresh salmon up here but that Tasmanian salmon is something else.

Beautiful dish!

Bonewagon
09-12-2015, 06:10 PM
That salmon looks amazing. :thumb:

cowgirl
09-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Looks fantastic Buccs! How did you cook it? Is it grilled? I bet the crispy skin was wonderful.

bluetang
09-12-2015, 06:46 PM
That does look mighty appealing!

chicagokp
09-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Yum!

MisterChrister
09-12-2015, 07:54 PM
That filet is incredible and you sure treated it right!

buccaneer
09-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Looks fantastic Buccs! How did you cook it? Is it grilled? I bet the crispy skin was wonderful.

Thanks Jeanie:-D
That skin was totally bangin'!!
Here is what I came up with, I noted the incredible fattiness of the filets so I heated oil in a stainless pan and layed it in, skin down.
After I saw the color on the side start to change creeping upward I carefully and gently used a fishturner to lift the fish away from the skin.
The layer of rendering omega's helped and it worked!I cooked the skin alone in the pan, lifted it out when it was golden and crispy, and used the Tataki technique to sear the fish but not cook it inside.
It was rich and incredibly delicious.
Saved the oil for use in another dish..or salad!:thumb:

Phubar
09-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Sweet!

DUBBAGA
09-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Wonderful! I wouldn't have the confidence to cook such a quality fish, and probably would simply have as sashimi. My concern would be overcooking. It sounds like you handled it masterfully.

lantern
09-13-2015, 10:38 AM
I have a strange relationship with salmon. Cooked I don't like it one bit unless its either in some sort of patty or smoked and used as a dip. HOWEVER, good grade raw salmon I will take your arm smooth off trying to get to it! That brings me to the skin. I've yet to see a crispy salmon skin that I didn't like. You've done well sir.

Big George's BBQ
09-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I love Salmon That looks wonderful

buccaneer
09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Wonderful! I wouldn't have the confidence to cook such a quality fish, and probably would simply have as sashimi. My concern would be overcooking. It sounds like you handled it masterfully.
Thank you. Try that method above. So long as the pan is hot enough it is pretty foolproof! The skin part is a bit tricky maybe, that's all:thumb:
I have a strange relationship with salmon. Cooked I don't like it one bit unless its either in some sort of patty or smoked and used as a dip. HOWEVER, good grade raw salmon I will take your arm smooth off trying to get to it! That brings me to the skin. I've yet to see a crispy salmon skin that I didn't like. You've done well sir.

I understand that. It is pretty much exactly how I feel about tuna.
We eat this salmon as sashimi at least half the time too!