PDA

View Full Version : Can someone classify this tree?

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 11:47 AM
So I"m pretty sure this is oak. Got it from a friend, The person that cut it said the only thing he cut down was oak. I was just curious to know if someone could tell me what it is. I've cooked with it and it was fine. I was just curious to get a 100% on it for the ****s'n'giggles :)

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 11:51 AM
And those who run similar smokers as a Brinkman Trailmaster LE how big do you normally cut you splits? I've noticed if i split to big I have trouble keeping a decent fire going towards the end of the cook session

Loeweb
09-09-2015, 12:01 PM
looks like oak to me.

Wampus
09-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Could be oak. Hard to tell by the photo.
I have a better time identifying oak by the grain, not the bark.

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Well good news is Thanks to a good buddy of mine they pretty much gave it to me. This was taken after I've already split a decent stack. So where's the meat? I"m ready to smoke!! :thumb:

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can

Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise?

krex1010
09-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Looks like it could be white oak......also could be ash. Any leaves mixed in? If you take a close up of a split piece that would help identify it as oak

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise? Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire. You can see one of my splits preheating
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0199.jpg

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire.

I have never dumped the ash pan while cooking. I figured I would empty it if it got full which by the end of the cook its all most full. I figured it was a good idea to leave that there because i still have trouble keeping a bed of coals after 4-5 hours into the cook. So I also figured it was necessary since coals would drop into the ash pan without being ash yet. I put expanded metal over the top of the grate that came with it. Helped but not much after long cooks

which also brought me to the question which way I should lay the wood into the fire. Because if I laid it short ways The coals probably would wanna stay on the grate instead of fall through! I'm still learning the pit. so I have to try every way possible. I've been cutting my splits about the size of the bottom rack on the cooker from front to back.

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Cut 'em tp fit the other direction and take out the expadex. You're restricting the air flow these pits need all the help they can get. It might not seem as though it is causing a restriction but trust me it is the intake damper is barely big enough to keep up with fires requirement for air. The longer you cook the less the coal bed you need once the steel is hot you only need enough to maintain temp. Think of it as cooking with a CI skillet once it's hot you cut back the fire to maintain the pans temp.

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 01:14 PM
So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.

gengle
09-09-2015, 01:23 PM
White oak or ash. Leaves would help.

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.
I normally dump mine about 1/2 way through when the fire acts up, I put my wood in the box parallel to my johnson when I'm in front of the pit sabe :cool:

MarkB2
09-09-2015, 03:07 PM
It is ash, don't need any leaves!

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Here's some splits, one of the pieces split in half, and the other is a few splits. What I've came up with its ether ash, or oak! So those saying they want a split shot, here ya go!

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I normally dump mine about 1/2 way through when the fire acts up, I put my wood in the box parallel to my johnson when I'm in front of the pit sabe :cool:

I've noticed this, About 1/2 way through a cook the fire "acts up" and its all down hill from there! Bluedawg do you use the brinkmann alot? what is your current pit? I haven't seen posts on that.

Jeff H
09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
That first pic sure looks like red oak but I don't know what the grain of ash looks like.

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 04:04 PM
That first pic sure looks like red oak but I don't know what the grain of ash looks like.

:confused: So far this is the worst thing about this life style! trying to learn your cuts of wood! HAHAH

Zin
09-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Looks like white oak.

cheez59
09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
My first thought was a dead hickory. I sent the pics to 7 of my customers who have 30 plus years each running hardwood sawmills. They unanimously say it is ash.

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 06:14 PM
My first thought was a dead hickory. I sent the pics to 7 of my customers who have 30 plus years each running hardwood sawmills. They unanimously say it is ash.

Obviously still good for smoking? And its probably a mixture of ash and oak if that's the case. found out later it wasn't just one tree. Some of it looks different. Tried smoking with it the other day I thought it had a good flavor. pretty mild but I dont like a strong over powering smoke flavor

cheez59
09-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Obviously still good for smoking? And its probably a mixture of ash and oak if that's the case. found out later it wasn't just one tree. Some of it looks different. Tried smoking with it the other day I thought it had a good flavor. pretty mild but I dont like a strong over powering smoke flavor

Ash is ok for smoking although when seasoned it will burn hot and fast.

jakel
09-09-2015, 06:26 PM
^^^ ash I had two cut down because of ash borers :x

Al Czervik
09-09-2015, 06:34 PM
"the larch"...

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Ash is ok for smoking although when seasoned it will burn hot and fast.

Well the way I see it, If its safe for food then I'm all for it. especially that much wood. I've got a pretty nice stack started. If I get any kind of decent smoke flavor It'll be fine :D

After all when I first purchased my smoker I had no wood, no chain saw, no way of knowing how to get wood for my smoker! Now I have 4ft tall and 8 feet wide with splits lol

BBQ Freak
09-09-2015, 08:16 PM
I just bought some oak tonight and the bark look the same as mine . I used to have a Brinkmann Trail Master too and it liked splits the size diameter as a pop can and 6"long and I found it was all in how you prop one piece on top of the other and having the right amount of air flow .

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 08:51 PM
I just bought some oak tonight and the bark look the same as mine . I used to have a Brinkmann Trail Master too and it liked splits the size diameter as a pop can and 6"long and I found it was all in how you prop one piece on top of the other and having the right amount of air flow .

See this confuses me. I guess its pretty much a mixed bag. Its ether ash or oak. I'm inclined to believe the guy above that took it to 7 different people that worked at a sawmill for years. Been researching all day and oak and ash looks very similar.

But then again!! I guess you just never know! I personally do not know what the differences is or know the method at which they came to the conclusion it was ash compared to oak. I wish I knew more about the type of wood other than looking at pictures.

gun smoke
09-09-2015, 09:05 PM
the grain of oak and ash are almost identical. ash is less dense you would be able to feel the difference. I would be surprised if it wasn't ash just by the bark.

BBQ Freak
09-09-2015, 09:21 PM
See this confuses me. I guess its pretty much a mixed bag. Its ether ash or oak. I'm inclined to believe the guy above that took it to 7 different people that worked at a sawmill for years. Been researching all day and oak and ash looks very similar.

But then again!! I guess you just never know! I personally do not know what the differences is or know the method at which they came to the conclusion it was ash compared to oak. I wish I knew more about the type of wood other than looking at pictures.

I know what I got for sure by the leaves that were left on several pieces .

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 09:28 PM
the grain of oak and ash are almost identical. ash is less dense you would be able to feel the difference. I would be surprised if it wasn't ash just by the bark.

Yeah, I say this could possibly be both. Like I said before, this wasn't one tree. When I went to pick it up, the guy was like "The only thing I cut down was oak" But also gave me stuff that was laying around near by. We determined it was oak, but I say its a mixture of both because I've felt the difference in pieces as I was splitting it.

But like i said, I've cooked with it already, loved the food cooked with it. As a guy that had no wood, no chain saw (now have a chain saw) I have a wood split pile as tall as me. Plus all the wood left in my original post to split! So At least I have plenty of fuel!

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 09:36 PM
I've noticed this, About 1/2 way through a cook the fire "acts up" and its all down hill from there! Bluedawg do you use the brinkmann alot? what is your current pit? I haven't seen posts on that.

Can't use it as much as I'd like to, I've been rocking the ECM lately & the Performer it's a tinder box round here. We got our first rain this morning since the beginning of June. I just don't want to chance it I had a 25 acre brush fire that burned to with in 15 yrds of my property line 3 weeks ago. The Hwy crew was mowing the right of way hit a rock 1 spark it it was on like donkey kong took 3 Fire Co's to put it out.

That is Ash you have there the grain is to straight to be Oak

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Can't use it as much as I'd like to, I've been rocking the ECM lately & the Performer it's a tinder box round here. We got our first rain this morning since the beginning of June. I just don't want to chance it I had a 25 acre brush fire that burned to with in 15 yrds of my property line 3 weeks ago. The Hwy crew was mowing the right of way hit a rock 1 spark it it was on like donkey kong took 3 Fire Co's to put it out.

That is Ash you have there the grain is to straight to be Oak

Haha well If things gets crazy around your parts and you set stuff on fire! MAKE SURE TO GRAB YOUR RIBS AND SHOW THEM ON THE TV! HAHAHA

Bludawg
09-09-2015, 09:48 PM
VFD would have them fer lunch them boy's kin eat.

blazinfire
09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Sry bludawg I meant to say brisket! haha! seems that is your specialty :becky:

But yeah I'm trying to study up on my cuts of wood now that I have a chainsaw. I have woods on my property with plenty of wood to be cut.

I know nothing about it. Honestly when i decided to purchase my smoker I had no plans for wood or even cared about it. After two cooks using cherry wood I bought from a buddy of mine. I realized I needed to figure some things out. (Didn't really like the cherry and Still have a bit of it)