PDA

View Full Version : I made mozzarella...

MS2SB
09-08-2015, 01:44 PM
It was not good. Turned out much closer to squeaky cheese curds than nice smooth mozz.

I think I made a couple of tactical errors along the way.
1) Overworked the balls when I was forming it and squeezed out too much of the whey, making it tough.
2) Once I finished molding I let them sit at room temp instead of shocking them in an ice bath. I think the residual heat continued to tighten up the proteins causing them to toughen up.
3) I attempted a new cooking technique after an afternoon of wine tasting at the wineries down the hill and bourbon "tasting" in my kitchen.

I've got enough rennit left for about 40 more attempts, I should be able to get this right eventually.

Wampus
09-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Those dang videos make it look SOOOOO easy don't they!

One of my bucket list items is to make fresh mozz.
Thanks for sharing this.

RBoehm
09-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I've made farmer's cheese and a feta like cheese from kefir. Never tried mozz. Looked too difficult for me.

MS2SB
09-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I'll keep at it until I get it right. Though the next time I'll be using a gallon of normal store bought milk, instead of the ridiculously expensive raw milk I used this time.

NickTheGreat
09-08-2015, 02:55 PM
I shouldn't read threads like this. Gets me a thinkin'

landarc
09-08-2015, 03:00 PM
more fat, you want more fat

And reason number 3 is almost always the cause of trouble

MS2SB
09-08-2015, 03:29 PM
more fat, you want more fat

And reason number 3 is almost always the cause of trouble

It was whole milk! How do you get more fat, add whipping cream?

And yes, 3 tends to be the cause of most of my teachable moments in the kitchen. You'd think I'd learn?

landarc
09-08-2015, 03:33 PM
my answer to everything dairy, is add more fat. I suppose you could add cream to milk. Milk is a de-fatted product in the US anyways. My friends that travel a lot to Europe tell me that milk there is totally different, richer than here.

drjiveturkey
09-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Deep fry it and it will be salvaged

c farmer
09-08-2015, 06:23 PM
my answer to everything dairy, is add more fat. I suppose you could add cream to milk. Milk is a de-fatted product in the US anyways. My friends that travel a lot to Europe tell me that milk there is totally different, richer than here.

So milk right out of the cow would be best?

My cousin is a dairy farmer and I have been waiting to try cheese.

amsimms
09-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I want to add mozzarella to my list of things to make. I am hoping to try some this winter along with smoking some of it.

Good luck with the next batch and I look forward to seeing how it works out.

arclite
09-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Good luck with your next try.

Check back and let us know how it goes.