PDA

View Full Version : Lang patio

brandonh1987
09-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Hi all,

for those of you who have a lang I have a few questions.

I am about " <<< that close to ordering a 36 patio. I have done my research on these smokers and RF, however there are a few questions I have.

My yoder when fat drips down on to the diffusor plate it burns and smells awful, is that how these RF smokers work too, when the fat drips down on the juices it burns and sticks to the top of the drip pan?

There seems to be no room for a water pan below the grate to catch the fat drippings, so you just let them drip on it?

Thanks

Papa Q
09-08-2015, 02:11 PM
I have a home built RF smoker. What I did was make the baffle plate into a drip/water pan by welding 1" 'walls' around the edge of the pan. The baffle/drip pan/water pan does have a drain pipe that goes down through the bottom of the cooking chamber to a valve. All that being said, if I don't use water for moisture, I line the pan with aluminum foil. It doesn't get in the way of the flow of heat/smoke and it makes clean-up a breeze. I could let the drip pan fill with grease then wash it out...but the foil is so much easier. I just posted 'Labor Day Brisket' this morning and if you look closely, you can see where I placed foil under the brisket which was on the top rack with the lower one removed. I love the reverse flow on the cooker. Temps are so stable it isn't even funny. Good luck!

Diesel Dave
09-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Yes, in any RF cookers the drippings fall onto the RF plate. Most cookers like the Lang are beveled or in some way direct the grease to the drain.
I own a Lang and a Shirley and seriously you don't get the "burning" of the grease like you may think. The RF plate is hot, but the grease still flows off of it since the fire is not directly under the plate. I hope that helps you to understand

you won't regret buying the Lang

bbq.tom
09-08-2015, 02:37 PM
I've got a LANG and it has a resevoir in the bottom that you can close off to use as a water pan, but I keep it open and let the grease drip out. Because the LANG is an RF (indirect) and the Yoder is a direct heat source the plate won't get as hot in the LANG (at normal "smoking" temperatures).

As DD said: You won't regret buying the LANG!

brandonh1987
09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys

Diesel Dave
09-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Since my Lang is a trailer model, I'm guessing the patio models have this reservoir?

Porcine Aviator
09-08-2015, 05:51 PM
About the water pan:

I have a patio and use the 1 1/2" deep disposable aluminum pans that are 12X12" or 12X18" under the bottom shelf when I want moisture. You may find that you don't need them and use the griddle affect instead.