PDA

View Full Version : Brisket newbie

bslayer
09-06-2015, 04:53 PM
going to attempt my first brisket for Labor day. Just under 12lbs., trimmed, seasoned and wrapped. Ready for the uds in the a.m.. Going to go with Bludawg's method, at about 300 degrees for 4 hours, wrap in parchment and back on until probe tender. I am shooting for around 1pm eat time, so needs to be done no later than noon. will have a 20 minute drive. I am thinking, get up at 2am, light the uds, and be ready to smoke at 3am. This should give me plenty of time shouldn't it? 1pm is not set in stone, but that is when I told everyone we would eat.

landarc
09-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Yes, that will give you plenty of time. You could probably go to 5am with Blu's method

pjtexas1
09-06-2015, 04:59 PM
you will have plenty of time for the unexpected with your start time. If for some reason you get close to your time you can bump up the heat. don't forget the rest time.

LMAJ
09-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Sounds good - have fun. I always err on the side of giving it more time. You can always hold it in a cooler.

Bludawg
09-06-2015, 05:40 PM
If you need to hold it let it cool to below 185 IT before putting it in a cooler so it has stopped cooking. holding in the 180- 185 range is optimum.

bslayer
09-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can get some cat naps in. will set an alarm on the temp at the grate for 325 in case.

Doog
09-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

brandonh1987
09-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Cooking for people with a deadline on your first brisket... Risky business

Advice: it's always better to overcook a brisket than under cook. I have found most people enjoy slightly overcooked bbq.

bslayer
09-06-2015, 09:47 PM
I have already warned them that this might not turn out like I hope it does. I already have a back-up plan for grilled chicken or burgers and dogs if things go south. But I really think things will turn out good.

PatAttack
09-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Well, how did things turn out?

Diesel Dave
09-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Well how's it going? It's just another hunk of meat so enjoy the cook you'll nail it

bslayer
09-07-2015, 07:12 AM
4 hours in, wrapped and back on. It was really looking good. Will start probing about 9am. The temp is holding steady at about 315, but spiked to 330 when I took the lid off. Closed a vent just slightly, impatiently waiting for the end results. Going to fix some mac and cheese around 11 and put it on smoker for an hour. Will have tater salad and coleslaw also. Love these days, but it really blows my diet all to heck.

Bludawg
09-07-2015, 08:36 AM
I recommend you check it after 1 hr not 2 it will most likely be done!

bslayer
09-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I did not see your post Bludawg until I had taken it off at 9am. It was probe tender in the flat, and the point was so tender that the digital thermo would almost slide through by its own weight. May be a little over done. Will not know until around 3pm now. Some folks had to work today so eat time was pushed back. I rested brisket until it had an IT of about 182, then place it in a small styrofoam cooler that retains heat very well. Just pulled the mac and cheese off and heading to the in-laws. If it tastes anywhere as good as it looks, I think it will be a success.116095 It is kind of a crappy pic.

Bludawg
09-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I think your gonna have some good eats Maybe even rockstar status.:thumb: if it's a little over they wont even notice.

bbqwizard
09-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Looks like you rocked it!

bslayer
09-07-2015, 09:28 PM
116157Things turned out well, but did leave room for improvement. Everyone was pleased even after I told them I thought it could be better. The flat was tender all the way through, very moist in the middle, but seemed a little dry in the corners. The bark was soft and wanted to pull off, but think that was from sitting in the cooler for so long. Will go a little heavier on seasoning next time, erred on the side of caution being the first cook. Overall I am satisfied with the results. I know some of it was due to quality of meat. It was a choice from wally world, but at $2.07 a pound, it was hard to pass up. Looking forward to next attempt.

Demosthenes9
09-07-2015, 09:53 PM
116157Things turned out well, but did leave room for improvement. Everyone was pleased even after I told them I thought it could be better. The flat was tender all the way through, very moist in the middle, but seemed a little dry in the corners. The bark was soft and wanted to pull off, but think that was from sitting in the cooler for so long. Will go a little heavier on seasoning next time, erred on the side of caution being the first cook. Overall I am satisfied with the results. I know some of it was due to quality of meat. It was a choice from wally world, but at $2.07 a pound, it was hard to pass up. Looking forward to next attempt.

Looks good from here.

I think lots of people dramatically under season their brisket. It's a big piece of meat and can (and should) take a lot of seasoning. Also remember that while the brisket has a large surface area, each slice is less than 1/4in wide. Each thin slice is then broken up into smaller bites. End result is that each piece that goes into your mouth has very little seasoned surface area.

Bludawg
09-07-2015, 10:39 PM
You are correct on the bark. Thin edges( corners) will do that. Best way to prevent it is to cut it off before cooking if it's less than 1" thick, save the pieces for Stew or Chili.You cant really go by where you get your meat from or whether it s Choice,Select or Prime and there is lots of leeway in the grades. Cows are graded in the Prime Rib which is an unused muscle. Brisket is a working muscle so the grade don't mean much. Cows don't get off the truck at the slaughter house with a ticket to Walmart. 1 brisket could end up at Walmart and the other at the local grocery chain cold storage. I used to haul cattle to market n the hoof & meat out the other side it's all in cardboard boxes.