PDA

View Full Version : Are my iGrill probes starting to die?

dwfisk
09-05-2015, 06:46 AM
For those that have more experience with thermocouple devices I'm thinking my probes/iGrill might have hit their useful life; they are probably 3 years old. Yesterday during a longish cook I noticed the following problems:

The pit probe I had set-up to just montor the cook chamber would not show an accurate pit temp; I did a 2 hour warm up burn and let the pit run at +350 (per the TelTru) to help clean it up but the thermocouple would not get above 190*. I rebooted the whole iGrill and it went right to 375*, agrreeing with the TelTru. No more problems for the rest on the day.

The probe I put in the brisket started out at 38* (brisket right out of the fridge) and rose steadily throughout the initial 4 hours and an IT around 170* but then after pullng and wrapping in BP I re-inserted the probe and it was jumpng all over the place. Initially is ran for 20 minutes at 165* (no surprise there) but then started jumping around by +/-10* every couple minutes. I repositioned the probe but it kept being very erratic for an hour or so then calmed down and rose to an IT of about +205 when the brisket hit probe tender.

I just use thermos and remote alarms as a back-up for more traditional look-feel-probe tests so it ain't a big deal but I'm wondering if these are symptoms of the thermocouples hitting their useful life.

dport7
09-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Kinda sounds like it. I had one on my Maverick, did the same thing. Would go strait to high limit, then xxx. Checked it on my other maverick, same thing, replaced it, all good

wsswesty
09-05-2015, 08:44 PM
I have a friend that got an email from Igrill saying they are recalling some of the probes. They are sending him new ones. Might want to check with Igrill.

pjtexas1
09-05-2015, 08:54 PM
did you try swapping out the batteries? probably not the issue but it wouldn't hurt.

dwfisk
09-11-2015, 08:42 PM
So, my iGrill is 3+ years old and way out of warranty but the service reps via email confirmed my probes are the issue (for whatever reason) and they are shipping me new ones pls an extra set at nominal cost. Unless a better technology comes along I'm probably a customer for life.