PDA

View Full Version : Dalmation rub

SincinnatiSmoke
09-04-2015, 07:40 PM
So for you guys who just use a simple coarse salt and pepper rub on briskets. Do you coat it as you would a normal rub or do you still see meat thru the rub? It is expensive to keep experimenting with briskets, haha. Sometimes they come out sorta beef jerky flavored due to too much pepper and sometimes too salty. Sometimes they are low in flavor. The best result I have had is using Stubbs beef spice rub and coating it really heavy. I like it that way but I also want to learn to make one just the simple Texas way and not have it sucking.

BaronVonOttomatic
09-04-2015, 08:12 PM
I try for an even coating all around, not completely covered so you can't see the meat.

wmarkw
09-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I use a 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup black pepper for about a 14lb packer. I also like to sprinkle some granulated garlic on as well.

landarc
09-04-2015, 08:35 PM
I'll just mention, that it is possible you don't care for a S&P brisket.

I use equal parts by weight Kosher salt and Medium grind black pepper and 1/4 part each granulated garlic and granulated onion. I tend to like the brisket covered evenly with just a little meat showing.

cowgirl
09-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I go the simple route. Just sprinkle salt and pepper on separately and leave some of the meat showing.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213295

Good luck with your cook!

Bludawg
09-04-2015, 09:49 PM
50/50 by weight even moderate coat that you can still see the detais of the meat through. Rub don't equate to bark so why use more than you need to season it. Rub aint fry batter.

gtr
09-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Pretty much the same here - 50/50 by weight k salt and coarse black papper. I do like to see some meat through the rub.

Danny B
09-05-2015, 06:13 AM
I'll just mention, that it is possible you don't care for a S&P brisket.

I use equal parts by weight Kosher salt and Medium grind black pepper and 1/4 part each granulated garlic and granulated onion. I tend to like the brisket covered evenly with just a little meat showing.

Using Morton's kosher salt and Tone's coarse pepper(only coarse I can find locally) what is the salt pepper ratio? 1/1? 2/1 pepper? The weight-volume thing confuses me.

BaronVonOttomatic
09-05-2015, 07:53 AM
I apply the salt first until it's evenly coated then apply about an equal amount of pepper, more or less 50/50 by volume, then flip and do the same to the other side.

This may help give you an idea:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365022294/

Bbq Bubba
09-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I prefer a fairly heavy rub.

Bludawg
09-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Using Morton's kosher salt and Tone's coarse pepper(only coarse I can find locally) what is the salt pepper ratio? 1/1? 2/1 pepper? The weight-volume thing confuses me.

Exactly what I use. IMO going by volume in equal parts it's to salty. K salt weighs 3X more than Pepper. When you read the lable on any commercial product the ingredients are listed in order by weight heaviest to lightest. I go by weight. If you don't have a scale then it would be 1/3 c K salt & 2/3 c pepper.

SmokeŽ
09-05-2015, 10:06 AM
A good even coat so the meat is still visible. Experiment until you find the amount you like.
About 3 to 1 ratio of pepper to salt.
1 TBSP OF BLACK PEPPER = 6.4 GRAMS
1 TBSP OF KOSHER SALT =18 GRAMS

Dmars13
09-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Are you guys using the coarse kosher salt? Or regular sized kosher salt?

landarc
09-05-2015, 10:53 AM
If you don't have a scale, approximately 4 parts pepper to 1 part salt is the same as a 1:1 ratio by weight

landarc
09-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Are you guys using the coarse kosher salt? Or regular sized kosher salt?

If you go by weight, it doesn't matter. I use RealSalt Kosher by Redmond.

Danny B
09-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Exactly what I use. IMO going by volume in equal parts it's to salty. K salt weighs 3X more than Pepper. When you read the lable on any commercial product the ingredients are listed in order by weight heaviest to lightest. I go by weight. If you don't have a scale then it would be 1/3 c K salt & 2/3 c pepper.

Thanks for this. One more question. If I wanted to add granulated garlic and granulated onion what would the proper ratio be?

SincinnatiSmoke
09-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. Local market had a sale on brisket today so I'm going to run one all night and see what we have in the morning. Since its an all nighter I don't think I will wrap it since there is good marble to the cut.

ShadowDriver
09-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Rub aint fry batter.

Thanks, Blu.

We needed the levity.

btcg
09-07-2015, 12:12 AM
So for you guys who just use a simple coarse salt and pepper rub on briskets. Do you coat it as you would a normal rub or do you still see meat thru the rub? It is expensive to keep experimenting with briskets, haha. Sometimes they come out sorta beef jerky flavored due to too much pepper and sometimes too salty. Sometimes they are low in flavor. The best result I have had is using Stubbs beef spice rub and coating it really heavy. I like it that way but I also want to learn to make one just the simple Texas way and not have it sucking.

First, let me say this: I'm a big believer in education. There really is no substitute. Arm yourself with education, and then collect some experience, and you've got a winning combination.

Now, whether you're using a water-cooker, or dry heat/stick-burner, some elements of the cook are the same: the smoker is a pressure chamber. Put your meat in, close the smoker up, and a cycle will occur; a regular frequency of the cook.

Rule #1: do NOT disrupt the cook. Do not open it to look. Very important!
The old adage: "if you're looking, you're not cooking" ...right on the money.

Moving on to the rub: a Trigg trick. Before putting your rub on, apply a layer of peanut oil. Why is this important? It can help the various spices to adhere to the meat.

Salt is a unique flavoring: it's a carrier spice, or flow agent. Salt helps other spices to coat, bind, and flow through the meat.

When you place your meat in your smoker, you apply external pressure on the meat, forcing out water and fat. This is why an injection can help.

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/articles/1996/01/seasoning-secrets-for-salty-snacks.aspx

Al_T
09-07-2015, 12:39 AM
I use 50/50 Morton Kosher salt and pepper that I grind myself. I really like fresh ground pepper. I also add a little powdered Worcestershire sauce to the mix. Worcestershire is a natural on beef. I feel it brings out or accentuates the natural flavor of beef. I use a medium dusting. Not heavy not light.

WildeMan
09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
If you're not sure on how much salt to use, use the weight of your brisket as a guide, after trimming. 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of kosher or sea salt per pound of uncooked meat. This is probably why you see so many recipes recommending 1/4 cup of salt for a full packer.