PDA

View Full Version : WagnerWare Sidney O #8 rehab

16Adams
09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
My mother gifted me our childhood cast iron #8. Pretty sad shape and had not been used in years. After little league ball games my brother and I used it for fried bologna sandwiches. Sour kraut and weinies (the red ones that turned the kraut red too). Pineapple upside down cake- fried green tomatoes and Okra etc etc. how Cakes and Cornbread. :-))

Hadn't been used in 20-25 years at least. So stripping it down to metal and starting over

Overnight in HD Trash Bag sprayed w/Off Oven cleaner
Scrubbed with steel wool and rinsed with vinegar water
Into oven at 350 one hour with light coat of lard
Cooled- checked closely and no cracks
Hit with wire wheel to remove tough stuff
Into HD trash bag for 16-24 hours
Will scrub and rinse with vinegar water tomorrow
Immediately back into oven light coat of lard
Then every day for a week then once a month thereafter if not used

16Adams
09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Now back into oven cleaner bath

MisterChrister
09-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Rich history for that piece, thanks for sharing. Sounds like she's in good hands and will make many more tasty morsels in your kitchen!

landarc
09-03-2015, 01:43 PM
It's looking great. Nothing beats old CI

Bludawg
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Funny how a hunk of iron can make a man sentimental. I have my grannys 10" from 1919, one of my most prized possessions. Lot of memories of simpler better times and some great food too. She could wiled that thing like a Culinary Samarri before the sun was up

cowgirl
09-03-2015, 02:56 PM
What a treasure...and great memories! It's in good hands now. Can't wait to see what you cook first Adams. :cool: :-D

16Adams
09-03-2015, 03:08 PM
What a treasure...and great memories! It's in good hands now. Can't wait to see what you cook first Adams. :cool: :-D

Green Chile Pineapple Upside Down Cake :laugh::laugh::laugh:

cowgirl
09-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Green Chile Pineapple Upside Down Cake :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh: Sounds great! :becky:

16Adams
09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Funny how a hunk of iron can make a man sentimental. I have my grannys 10" from 1919, one of my most prized possessions. Lot of memories of simpler better times and some great food too. She could wiled that thing like a Culinary Samarri before the sun was up

"Culinary Samurai"- I may borrow that. ��