PDA

View Full Version : PitmasterIQ Longevity

wrk24wheel
09-03-2015, 10:52 AM
I am very interested in picking up one of these PitmasterIQ 130 controllers. However, my concern is that Pitmaster has the shortest warranty in the industry of only 6 months and this concerns me. Everyone else is 1-2 years, including the imports from china on ebay. I have searched the forum, but really haven't come up with much on this.

I understand every brand will have a lemon here and there, what I want to know is do these things last past a year or are they disposable. Usually a warranty says a lot about a product. The longer the warranty, usually the better the product. I really want to hear from the people that have had good experiences with this controller. Not looking for the trolls bad mouthing the device, but actual owners stating how long they have had the device trouble free.

I am trying to make up my mind if the Stoker with the longer warranty is worth the extra $$. I know the CyberQ is just way out of my price range, but I want the Wifi connection to store temps and evaluate different setups.

jimithing78
09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I have an IQ110 that I've been using for 3 or 4 years. Still works great. I will say that I don't use it anymore because I bought a Stoker Wifi a few months ago. I wanted something that I could use to log cooks automatically. Plus I can set an alarm on my PC.

This is just my opinion but I don't see the niche for the IQ130. The IQ110 can be considered a good cheap, no frills controller. But if you're willing to spend $270on the IQ130 why not just spend a few extra dollars and get the Stoker?

SmokeŽ
09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I've had a Pitmaster for over a year and it works well but if the probe goes out on the first cook it's on you and if you want to send it back for their 30 day money back guarantee because the probe goes out the first time you use it or if the probe still works the price of the probe is deducted. After talking with them one time if mine goes out I'll go with another brand YMMV.

hachi-roku_fan
09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm curious what Chinese ones you're talking about? I can't find anything besides the big brands

SuburbSlicker
09-03-2015, 01:52 PM
i have a 110 and have been using it for three years now without issue.

Weberlamp
09-03-2015, 03:42 PM
We have 3 IQ110's for our team, and we have not had no trouble with them. Bought them after our first comp in 2012, and still use them to this day. The only thing you might run in to is a short in the wire, so I always have extra leads on hand just in case. The housing looks to be about the same on 130's but I have not personally used one.

gtr
09-03-2015, 03:47 PM
I have a 110 that I use on my UDS. I had a probe go bad on it and didn't use it for a long time, but got another probe and it's been working great ever since. In all honesty, I'm not even sure how much I really need it, but it is a nice extra peace of mind for overnights and days when I'm running in and out all day.

wrk24wheel
09-03-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm curious what Chinese ones you're talking about? I can't find anything besides the big brands

Qmaster Senior - I found an importer out of Los Angeles on this board that sells them in the states. You can get them directly from China as well. Found some good reviews and they have a 1 year warranty. I just really like the all in one design of the PitmasterIQ over the two piece units.

Bbq_lover
09-03-2015, 09:38 PM
I have had the 110 for years, and no issues. I am still on the original probe, but I bought an extra one a while back for peace of mind.

Eddiecalder
09-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Qmaster Senior - I found an importer out of Los Angeles on this board that sells them in the states. You can get them directly from China as well. Found some good reviews and they have a 1 year warranty. I just really like the all in one design of the PitmasterIQ over the two piece units.

I have heard great things a out the Qmaster Senoir. I want one.

BBQLuver
09-03-2015, 11:57 PM
I've used the IQ110 for years as well with no issues.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-05-2015, 06:17 AM
I have an IQ110 and have never had any problems with it.

iceman72475
09-05-2015, 10:15 AM
I have a Pitmaster Iq110. I have not used it a whole lot but it still works great. I am on my first probe and Ive owned it for 4 years.

John I. Que
09-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Hi All,
John with pitmasterIQ here.
The irony of this thread is that when the IQ110 first went to market, it did so with the best warranty in the industry. Others followed our lead, and even surpassed our warranty. It has been in my job jar to update our web site content to indicate our updated warranty, but I have not yet got around to it. Perhaps this thread will motivate me! I'm going to update it to 12 months.
The reality is we have never turned down a warranty claim due to a failure in components or workmanship. We have turned them down for people who have damaged them due to misuse.
Please note that my other day job is designing and manufacturing motor controls for elevator doors, oxygen analyzers for fire suppression systems, digital switching systems for marine vessels, controllers for air compressors stationed on oil rigs, car wash controllers, digital valve actuators and other industrial stuff.
The probes can last a long time if not subjected to mechanical or thermal torture. Leave it in the pit one time after leaving the lid off to take the food in, and the 800-900 degrees will probably fry it. Or set the heavy drum lid on it, pinching it between too hot metal surfaces, and you'll possibly displace the Teflon and create a short. They are in a metal braided jacket, and have Teflon insulation, but they need to be treated like a lady (gently, you goofs).
Another common probe failure happens like this: You know how you unplug the vacuum cleaner, right? You just yank the cord, and the plug comes with it (usually). But yank the cable on the IQ's probe, and the probe's housing will usually stay on the grill and you'll be left holding a cable to nowhere.
- John

USMC
09-14-2015, 01:49 PM
I got the 120 as soon as it came out. Lots of cooks with no problems at all and still on the original probes.

ckelly
09-14-2015, 01:55 PM
I have 3 110 units. No issues here. Have had to replace 1 probe but I believe that was due to mishandling by someone else.

John I. Que
09-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh, forgot to mention: IQs are made in Missouri!

aawa
09-14-2015, 02:35 PM
I've had mine for about a year and a half and have had no issues with it other than burning up a probe when I forgot to close the lid of my UDS and a grease fire happened.

wrk24wheel
09-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I bit the bullet and bought the IQ. No regrets so far! The IQ holds the temperature with some of the most incredible cooks since its' purchase. The best investment is to make yourself a nice battery box and storage container. Did that right away. Didn't like the power cable running across the ground and for the measly $22 it cost me to build the 12v box it was well worth it.

funugy
09-14-2015, 05:41 PM
SNIP

Another common probe failure happens like this: You know how you unplug the vacuum cleaner, right? You just yank the cord, and the plug comes with it (usually). But yank the cable on the IQ's probe, and the probe's housing will usually stay on the grill and you'll be left holding a cable to nowhere.
- John

This is how I've gone through about 3 or 4 probes over about a 3 year period. Too lazy to remove the probe properly. It really sucks when I only had 1 probe. The last time (about a year ago now) I damaged a probe I bought 2 to have one as a back up. I like the newer probes now. They seem a little more resilient to my torture.

woodpelletsmoker
12-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I bit the bullet and bought the IQ. No regrets so far! The IQ holds the temperature with some of the most incredible cooks since its' purchase. The best investment is to make yourself a nice battery box and storage container. Did that right away. Didn't like the power cable running across the ground and for the measly $22 it cost me to build the 12v box it was well worth it.
I am the manufacturer of QMaster-Senior in China.
I am selling a battery box, which holds 8 pieces of AA alkaline battery.
It gives a total voltage of 12 VDC.
It can drive a 10 CFM fan for 10 hours.
It is a general purpose power supplier. It shall be able to use in any controllers. I am willing to sell this battery box to any one regardless of users of my competitors or not. It is to the good of BBQ Brethren.
Its price is US$2, air mail US$5, total US$7.
But to save 22-7=US$15, you need to wait 1 to 2 weeks.
I am chinese in China

OpelGTMan
12-14-2015, 07:54 AM
I have had my IQ110 for about 4 years now. It works great but like others I have had to replace the probe. I just ordered it last week and received it two days later. It always works when I need it to. I'd like to get the IQ130 but I can't justify the cost when my IQ110 still works fine.

KevinJ
12-14-2015, 10:46 AM
I have a 110 that I only use when I can't be around to monitor a cook, so it's been used sparingly, I've never had any issues with it.