PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy today

medeloach
09-03-2015, 07:18 AM
I haven't eaten since Tuesday. Colonoscopy this afternoon. College football starts tonight. What should I cook this weekend? Go!

akoda
09-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Tuesday? you have to fast the whole day before? Did you have to drink nasty stuff or take a pill? I need to do this soon but dread it. More power to you and good luck.

I think you deserve a nice brisky cook, enjoy the BBQ experience, sit and watch the smoke

LYU370
09-03-2015, 07:37 AM
The nasty stuff isn't that nasty anymore. Mine was only 5oz. followed by 40oz of water within an hour. Then make sure to stay close to the bathroom!!!! :shock: :help: :shock:

swamprb
09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Atomic Buffalo Turds

alecksjaycubs
09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Atomic Buffalo Turds

Funny and awkwardly relevant. I like it.

Al Czervik
09-03-2015, 07:58 AM
I haven't eaten since Tuesday. Colonoscopy this afternoon. College football starts tonight. What should I cook this weekend? Go!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/839/8dcj.jpg

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam! :thumb:

steelarz47
09-03-2015, 08:01 AM
that looks good.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-03-2015, 08:03 AM
How about some Butt!

krex1010
09-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Ask the dr if he sees a good smoke ring

BIL'S BBQ
09-03-2015, 08:10 AM
too bad you are not from boston, boston butt would be perfectly ironic... but youre from C-Bus... even better! O-H!

Smoke Dawg
09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Some insurance won't pay for the small amount system so you either pay for the upgrade your self or dring the full gallon less tasty stuff.

You end up not eating any real food for about 36 hours and not broth or jello type stuff for about 18 hours.

Planning ahead for a good meal give you something to look forward to!

Bludawg
09-03-2015, 08:45 AM
I would rule out sausage:roll: as much as I like pictures pls don't show us any from your recent trip:tsk:

joemat
09-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Good reminder for those of you 50 or over to schedule yours if not already done within the last 5 years. I have a friend who is a colorectal surgeon and he is a busy guy.

Especially if you have enjoyed eating sausages and other cured/processed foods through the years.

As mentioned above, prep is much easier today (request Prepopik) and the procedure is quite simple and fast.

jayman
09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
I just had my 1st colonoscopy last Monday... During the prep I was thinking the same as you, what to cook after! I went with a big ribeye and potatoes. Hope everything goes well for you!

medeloach
09-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't find out there were better options than the gallon of putrid stuff that I'm drinking now. Drank half of it last night and the rest this morning. Amazingly, I'm not super hungry...yet. I do have a pork butt thawing in the fridge...but may need to do something else. I made my own pickled onions, so I'll serve the pulled pork on Hawaiian rolls with the onions. Maybe some ABTs. Like someone said above, turds would be appropriate. ��

mwmac
09-03-2015, 09:55 AM
chitlins...

DerHusker
09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Atomic Buffalo Turds
:laugh: :clap2:

SmokinJohn
09-03-2015, 10:31 AM
As one who has had the sneaky scope, you should have something easy. You will be out of anesthesia, and you might have some constipation as a result.

I recommend starting with some mashed potatoes and protein shakes.

I wouldn't eat anything heavy until the doc says you have no polyps/fissures.

But since you asked what you should cook:

Bacon-wrapped onion rings

...I'll wait for the rest of you....

code3rrt
09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
It may depend on what they do or do not find during the procedure. If you're all clear after the procedure(no pun intended), A great big ribeye, baked tater and whatever else sounds good:-D.

KC

bonehead762
09-03-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm scheduled for my first one in October. I've got the drink stuff sitting on the window sill, just staring at me all the time, watching everything I do. Wasn't too keen on the idea of not eating for so long beforehand. Gonna be kind of interesting...

charrederhead
09-03-2015, 11:40 AM
To any who are squeamish, off-put, embarrassed and/or anal-retentive :wink: enough to not get scoped, take it from a colon cancer survivor- getting scoped is a pleasure compared to getting a colon resection, which is simply :roll: getting a section of your colon removed. THAT is no fun. THAT sucks. Getting scoped is a walk in the park, a can of corn, easy-peasey....

PLEASE- don't avoid the scope.

Ok, serious face gone...:thumb:

"ABT"s...lmao! :-D

robert-r
09-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I had one done yesterday. Fun...
Everything came out OK !!!
:rolleyes:

SmokinJohn
09-03-2015, 12:06 PM
To any who are squeamish, off-put, embarrassed and/or anal-retentive :wink: enough to not get scoped, take it from a colon cancer survivor- getting scoped is a pleasure compared to getting a colon resection, which is simply :roll: getting a section of your colon removed. THAT is no fun. THAT sucks. Getting scoped is a walk in the park, a can of corn, easy-peasey....

The worst part about the scope is the prep. If you are a meat eater, you are going to be surprised to find stuff coming out of you that has been there since the Carter administration.

Please ask to be knocked out. Most doctors do it, but there are a few who may cause you to utter the famous line from Fletch:

"Are you using the whole fist, Doc?"

I was in the gurney, they stuck me with an IV, I counted from 100 backwards, only remember 97, and the next thing I saw was my wife's face.

SmokinJohn
09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
it may depend on what they do or do not find during the procedure. If you're all clear after the procedure(no bun intended), a great big ribeye, baked tater and whatever else sounds good:-d.

Kc

ftfy

Fwismoker
09-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Stay away from eating snake...even though it tastes like chicken.

DougRuss
09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
I had mine done last Oct. .......Doc said "See You in 10 Years !"

.https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/medical-colonoscopy-infection-operation-virus-viral-cwln2879_low.jpg

I just couldn't see have this...........

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e5/20/2c/e5202c740d023b8b2ebe0d3804041d78.jpg

batboy
09-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Pics or it didn't happen

CircleW
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I had one done yesterday. Fun...
Everything came out OK !!!
:rolleyes:

I think as long as everything went IN ok too.... :shock:

robert-r
09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I think as long as everything went IN ok too.... :shock:

Lol !!!

Dunno. I was sedated.

akoda
09-03-2015, 02:48 PM
U all are inspirational!

cats49er
09-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I have several suggestions.1 if you are drinking that gallon of rot gut stuff get it cold before you start drinking it.2 When you start out drinking it, drink a couple ounces extra.That way when get down to the last couple of glasses, you don't have as much to drink.And lastly,be sure to take a tape recorder.You may want to record the gas explosion in recovery. It can be amazing. LOL

gtr
09-03-2015, 03:40 PM
A frito pie with pickled jalapenos,

I gotta do one of those soon - the pie and the scope both. But not at the same time.

robert-r
09-03-2015, 03:59 PM
... be sure to take a tape recorder.You may want to record the gas explosion in recovery. It can be amazing. LOL

Yeah.... the doc told me when I woke up: "let 'em rip!"

SmokinJohn
09-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah.... the doc told me when I woke up: "let 'em rip!"

You can't leave until you do.

About the only time in your life where can let one go with pride. In public.

Corky
09-03-2015, 04:42 PM
The nasty stuff isn't that nasty anymore. Mine was only 5oz. followed by 40oz of water within an hour. Then make sure to stay close to the bathroom!!!! :shock: :help: :shock:

I had the gallon of nasty stuff last month but the test found no problems so I am free to eat like crazy! The day plus of bathroom time was a drag.

Corky
09-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Do get it done. Our youngest daughter's mother-in-law, who is my age, got colon cancer and died quickly. She never had it checked and avoided docs. I had put it off for a few years and that prompted me to suck it up and get it done.

medeloach
09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Had it done and all was clear. No biggie. Now I have college football to look forward to this weekend. Definitely doing pulled pork and maybe smoked turkey breast. One of these days I have to try the 72 hour sous vide short rib technique. Maybe next weekend.

Oh - and I also ordered some boiled peanuts...will be diving into those on Saturday!

roofsc
09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
i had one a few years ago and i woke up about 1/2 way during procedure. I saw the screen and asked if that was what they were going to do to me? the doc replied "that is you!!" they quickly put me back under

Big Red Fan
09-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't have to get mine until next summer, but the info in here makes it a little less daunting. Thanks for sharing guys, it does help.

mikemci
09-03-2015, 10:22 PM
My wife had one and said that the drugs made it an awesome experience. She's ready to that again!!
Seriously though, I hope all goes well....There's a lot of meat out there to smoke in your future. :becky:

Lighter-Fluid
09-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Yep the prep sucks. My wife said afterward the nurse let me sleep a litle longer Because I was sleeping so well. Mine was at 8 am so at least I didnt have to go so long without eating. When we left we stopped for my morning coffee then by Bojangles that I was planning on waiting till after the 20 minute ride home to eat. After 3 minutes in the car with the biscuits they smelled too good. I decided to take one bite, it was so good I'd eaten mine and her's by the time we got home

Maylar
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
I asked the doc to look for my head up there. I now have clinical proof that my head is not up my butt (contrary to what my family says).