PDA

View Full Version : CI seasoning temperature?

Doug Crann
09-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Wife found a 12" Lodge skillet in a thrift store, think she pain 10 bucks for it. Wasn't much seasoning left. Wire wheeled it, coated it with canola oil and into the Egg, upside down it went. Not sure if the temperature was to high or I left it in there to long because when I pulled it out the oil had cooked completely off....so help a brother out please....

FireChief
09-02-2015, 11:39 PM
I followed these directions for the most part on this link, worked like a charm.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I threw my old CI skillets into the first to completely burn off existing seasoning. Warning, it will look like it's completely rusted over but that's what you want. Keys are:

1. Remove existing seasoning
2. Pre-heat the CI to open up the "pores"
3. Apply VERY think coast of Flaxseed oil and rub it in completely so it's shiny but doesn't pool.
4. Bake as high as your oven will go for an hour then let cool. I used a big toaster oven at 450F for mine.
5. I did 6 cycles for mine.

With a little bit of butter or oil they are like teflon now, super non-stick and they look beautiful now. Other changes is I now cook at a bit lower temperature especially for eggs and I don't even use water to clean. Just let the skillet cool down a bit then wipe clean.

Worked very well for me. I had used canola oil myself in the past but either put too much and the oil pooled and/or came out with a sticky film. Doesn't happen at all with the Flax, just remember to use a very small amount and work in. Hope this helps.

fantomlord
09-03-2015, 08:23 AM
I usually use the link above, and give it a half dozen coats or so, then just start using it...a lot. That's really the best thing for your CI, is to use the chit out of them. I like to start with things that are low risk for sticking--broccoli, brussel sprouts, pea pods, green beans, etc.
Important part to seasoning is a really thin coat of oil, or it will get tacky.

Bludawg
09-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Do very light coats of oil 350 1 hr. every day for a week, every week for a month, and every month forever. It takes time to get it seasoned just right building it up slowly so that it will last for eternity. I'm still using my granny's 10 " she got for a wedding present in 1919. And that's the way she done it.

ebijack
09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
For me over the years, use a light coat of oil, fire up your charcoal grill like your doing a cook, all vents open full. Put the CI on the cooking grate. In the morning the coals should have gone out. Pan nice and cool and a very hard coating exists ready to use. ( no smoke in the house and much hotter than an oven).

Maylar
09-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Lodge says 350-400 for at least an hour.

funstuie
09-03-2015, 10:34 AM
I put mine in the pizza oven at 800. That's too hot the oil just set on fire. I redid everything and left it overnight in the oven as it cooled down and that worked fine. I just clean it out with water and put in on the BBQ after a cook to keep the seasoning going.

fantomlord
09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I put mine in the pizza oven at 800. That's too hot the oil just set on fire. I redid everything and left it overnight in the oven as it cooled down and that worked fine. I just clean it out with water and put in on the BBQ after a cook to keep the seasoning going.

that's perfect if you want to strip off old seasoning and start over :thumb:

Doug Crann
09-04-2015, 10:19 AM
For me over the years, use a light coat of oil, fire up your charcoal grill like your doing a cook, all vents open full. Put the CI on the cooking grate. In the morning the coals should have gone out. Pan nice and cool and a very hard coating exists ready to use. ( no smoke in the house and much hotter than an oven).

This is pretty much what I did. And it left very little coating. Pretty much just burnt the oil off of it.
Trying to get the Boss away from teflon. I have the same skillet that I have been using outside....it has taken a while to get it to where it is at...when I go to clean it no scrubbing is necessary. If I let it get to cool I just turn the hot water on and let it run for a bit. Once I know it is hot I put the skillet in the sink and get it about half fill with water. Couple of quick passes with that chain mail (?) cleaning thing and dump the water out. Clean.

Sadly I don't remember how I got this one started....

jimithing78
09-04-2015, 10:46 AM
1. Flaxseed oil
2. 450-500 degrees for at least an hour

You can do it on your grill, you can do it in the oven. But it will stink up your house if you do it inside.

ebijack
09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
This is pretty much what I did. And it left very little coating. Pretty much just burnt the oil off of it.
Trying to get the Boss away from teflon. I have the same skillet that I have been using outside....it has taken a while to get it to where it is at...when I go to clean it no scrubbing is necessary. If I let it get to cool I just turn the hot water on and let it run for a bit. Once I know it is hot I put the skillet in the sink and get it about half fill with water. Couple of quick passes with that chain mail (?) cleaning thing and dump the water out. Clean.

Sadly I don't remember how I got this one started....
Put the coals in a ring around where the pan will sit. So it is not direct heat.