PDA

View Full Version : Beef clod for ground beef?

Tricky
09-02-2015, 10:52 PM
I want to make some diner style smashed burgers on my new griddle, so I've been reading about how to get a good burger and how it starts with the right grind. Many recommend ground chuck steak.

The little Hispanic butcher shop where I went grinds beef shoulder clod for their ground beef. I tried to convince the guy to let me buy chuck steaks and then have him grind them but he just said no. But he did grind me some fresh ground beef with the clod, and added some additional beef fat to get the fat content a bit higher than the 85-15 they usually sell. I was looking for about 75-25.

Any experience with shoulder clod flavor and ideas as to whether it will be good compared to ground chuck?

krex1010
09-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Shoulder clod has a very good beef flavor, clod is several shoulder muscles, which is where the chuck cuts come from too. Should be some good ground meat.

Tricky
09-03-2015, 01:48 AM
I read a few other sites tonight that said that chuck is part of the shoulder clod. I'm looking forward to these burgers!

Skip
09-03-2015, 01:52 AM
There was a burger joint years ago called Fudruckers. Had a friend who owned one. They used beef shoulder clod for their fresh patties. Oddly though the fat percentage was normally 73/27 when ground. They even had a special tool to determine fat content to assure proper taste.

You will make mighty awesome burgers from the clod.

krex1010
09-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Man I forgot all about Fudruckers, haven't seen one in years, when I was a teenager I loved that place because I could get burgers that were a full pound, actually was full after just one lol I

64Driver
09-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Man, I grew up on Fudruckers. Didn't know they were international (Poland, Italy, Chile, Panama, etc) until a year ago or so. Krex is right about those 1lb burgers when you're a teenager. They actually did fill you up!

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add the main point....My brother in law ground up a clod and honestly, it was a damn fine burger. Didn't know the exact fat ratio, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around 80-20

Zak
09-03-2015, 08:17 AM
I switched from chucks to clods for burger since the clods were cheaper and i'd cut the flat irons out of them prior to grinding. But i'm back to chuck just because i and the family prefer the texture and taste of the chuck. Even adding a little extra fat didnt seem to help. Dont get me wrong, it does make a good burger but i'd rather pay a little extra for a chuck over a clod.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Clod makes great burgers in my opinion. And there are still a bunch of Fuddruckers out there. Look them up online and see if there's one in your neck of the woods

IslandSmoke
09-03-2015, 03:51 PM
I switched from chucks to clods for burger since the clods were cheaper and i'd cut the flat irons out of them prior to grinding. But i'm back to chuck just because i and the family prefer the texture and taste of the chuck. Even adding a little extra fat didnt seem to help. Dont get me wrong, it does make a good burger but i'd rather pay a little extra for a chuck over a clod.

Besides grinding up clod for burgers and cutting out the flat irons steaks, what else can you make with it? Do you know anyone who makes Roast Beef or pulled beef from clod?

krex1010
09-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Bjs sells clod heart, labeled as "beef shoulder muscle" I made one last weekend, cooked it like a brisket, it came out really well. I've also heard of people cooking that cut (clod heart) like a roast, medium rare, and heard it came out well.