PDA

View Full Version : what piece of meat for a ham

wormraper
09-02-2015, 09:52 PM
this may seem like a stupid question, but what piece of meat do you use to make your own ham? I've been making bacon and canadian bacon the last month thanks to a purchase of Prague powder #1 and now want to make a good old fashioned Christmas ham later on this year. The only problem is, I'm not sure WHAT piece of meat to use for the ham? all the recipes online that I've seen say "pick up an uncured ham" whithout saying what part of the pig it's from. my instinct says that it's a picnic roast, but I could be wrong and wanted to make sure I got the proper cut to cure lol

grantw
09-02-2015, 09:57 PM
It's the ass, or rump, green ham. You can totally do it with the picnic which is the front of the pig, your typical Xmas ham would be the rear.

grantw
09-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Ps if ya don't know it's not stupid , ask here were all after deadly Bbq whether we make it or guide someone too

dport7
09-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Yep, the hind leg, Is a whole bone in ham.

wormraper
09-02-2015, 10:23 PM
got it hind leg. again, just because I've never looked. Will your local Safeway, Walmart or whatnot carry hind leg hams??? the only big pieces that look like a ham I've ever seen where standard butt or picnic roast? I just don't want to go to all the grocery stores and have them not have it if all I have to do is go to a specialty store.

cheez59
09-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Around here it is simply called a fresh ham. It is very doubtful you would find one at any big chain store like WalMart. We have some slaughter houses around us that will sell a fresh ham.

Diesel Dave
09-03-2015, 05:21 AM
If you have a good butcher shop in your area I'd go there first.
The big chains don't carry what doesn't sell, and green hams are not big movers

mjpmap
09-03-2015, 05:39 AM
With everything you are doing, you may want to just buy a whole hog and have it butchered to your needs. Its a little extra leg work to find a good slaughter house or pig farmer, but well worth it.

Shagdog
09-03-2015, 07:31 AM
The cut is just called the ham. You specify green to make sure they aren't selling you one that has already been cured. As mentioned above, there's about a 99% chance that you will not find a green ham in a grocery store. You will probably have to find a good butcher, hog farm, or pork processor. Good luck!

Decoy205
09-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Here it is sold as fresh ham.

JbTech
09-03-2015, 09:58 AM
No such thing as a stupid question!

I have found numerous pics or diagrams showing specific cuts, but this one is pretty simple.

http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/porkcuts_US2-500x246.jpg

wormraper
09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. and thanks for the diagram JbTech! makes a lot more sense... I'll have to sniff around to see if there are any butchers in town or meat supply shops in Tucson that sell green hams... luckily I have a few months to check around before committing

Cat797
09-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Also, just make sure you have a solid process to cure the ham.......Since it is a very large piece of meat, you can't just rub cure on it like belly bacon or Canadian Bacon. Most likely you are going to have to pump it and inject it......Depending on which kind of ham you make, that will dictate what you need to do. Just read up on it so you are sure.

My $.02 anyways........

Ed

wormraper
09-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Also, just make sure you have a solid process to cure the ham.......Since it is a very large piece of meat, you can't just rub cure on it like belly bacon or Canadian Bacon. Most likely you are going to have to pump it and inject it......Depending on which kind of ham you make, that will dictate what you need to do. Just read up on it so you are sure.

My $.02 anyways........

Ed

I was planning or following Meathead's process of wet brining as well as injecting it ... followed his recipe's for bacon and corned beef and they've turned out fantastic

SmokinJohn
09-03-2015, 01:11 PM
First time I've heard the term green ham.

Now I know.

Does it go well with eggs?

wnkt
09-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Ive used Pork loins and Pork Butts.. the Loins are a more manageable size for a first time and no bones....cheaper for testing what flavors will be like in the finished product