PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey Battle Box

Sallenthornton
09-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Very close to pulling the trigger on the Humphrey's Battle Box, but concerned about how it works in cold temperatures. I live in Alaska and the shipping price quoted was pretty good and I am ready to make the move. I could see temperatures at minus 30 consistently, so efficiency is a must; not to mention the ability to downsize to one smoker.

The idea of a cabinet smoker has always felt like the right choice, but its taking me a while to get here. I tried to avoid the high price and shipping, but I have spent more than what I would have it I ordered a custom originally. UGH! I already own a WSM, Traeger Pellet, Oklahoma Joe and a older, rugged custom offset for large cooks. Its time to downsize and the stick burners aren't used in the winter (too much wood) and the Traeger works great and I have no complaint with it... I just want something more long term, with an ability to cook all the food I would need in once spot.

Opinions are appreciated. Please feel free to chime in....BUT please no "build a UDS" comment. :becky:LOL!

pjtexas1
09-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I think insulated cabinets are what you need in a really cold environment. I don't what would work better.

grantw
09-02-2015, 09:47 PM
I have a backwoods which a humpherys is cloned from, I'm in -30 here and colder at night, it's defiantly better than a wsm in a brisk night, just don't open the door until you have too, in a wsm seems to be hard to keep the upper end warm, my backwoods cooks very even in cold temps, wrapping the wsm in a wool blanket helps huge too though if ya wanna try that first

Sallenthornton
09-02-2015, 10:05 PM
I have a custom blanket for the WSM. I have used it at -20 to -30 and it worked ok. I just hate the design. The separate sections drive me crazy! I know that people like them, but to me, the WSM was more of an entry level smoker that I used to gauge my interest in the craft. I tried competing a few years ago and having to haul multiple smokers sucked. I just want this smoker to be the LAST smoker for me. I am tired of buying smokers! :doh:

The stick burners were purchased due to my desire to get a brisket like Franklins... It hasn't worked.:icon_blush: Besides... the cost of wood splits is crazy. I cannot afford to purchase them often. The Traeger has worked well, but I desire more of smokey taste (yes I have the Amaze tube thingy) than it provides and the pellets can prove difficult to find at times.

BBQLuver
09-02-2015, 10:12 PM
I have heard and read nothing but great things about Humphreys. I was looking at the Battlebox myself but will probably go with the Pint instead. One size larger, but still manageable, just for the Holidays when I want to do a larger smoke.

Sallenthornton
09-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Their reputation is fantastic. The reviews have been great. I looked at th pint also, but my budget, with shipping, is pretty much maxed out. You have to pay 100% when you order so I cannot pay a large down and float the rest before it ships. I will be less that than 2500 shipped. Sometimes living in Alaska does not have its advantages.

MarleyMan
09-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Humphrey's owner here...yes they do fine in sub zero temps. You may go through more fuel of course and will take longer to get the pit up to operating temp, but otherwise it will hold steady. Rock solid cookers

RoyBQ
09-02-2015, 11:51 PM
Sallen you don't want to wait a month till PFD's come out and get the pint? They should be about $2,100 this year.

Sallenthornton
09-03-2015, 01:20 AM
I am seriously considering ordering the Pint and letting the PFD absorb the price increase. LOL. It would be almost free at that point. I truly want this smoker to be my LAST smoker. The Pint is looking better and better the more I read..

cseymour45
09-03-2015, 01:39 AM
It's going to perform better or as well as any other cooker comparable and a great price compared to similar makers.

scm1226
09-03-2015, 04:20 AM
Love my Battle Box. Don't have the low temps like you but it gets cold here and never even flinched.

Sfine118
09-03-2015, 05:35 AM
I'd go with the pint. My brother has the battle box and wishes he would have gotten the pint.

PigBull_Okie
09-03-2015, 07:14 AM
I love my Humphreys, It is actually designed to do well in cold weather. Check out this interview Chad Humphrey interview where bhe talks about the insulation and design features of their cookers.

http://bbqbeat.com/interview-chad-humphrey-of-humphreys-smokers/

Untraceable
09-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Insulated verticals are exactly what you need

Smokin Hoggz
09-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Humphrey cookers are built in Maine where the temps in the winter time dip into the negatives(maybe not as low as -30), Chad and Nicole build outstanding cookers that are made for the cold and made to last a long time. I have a cubed pint(taller and wider than a battle box) that I used this past winter. The temp dipped down to around -5 degrees. I loaded it up with about 18 pounds of briquettes around 8PM then thru the brisket on at 10PM, woke up at 6AM the next morning, I still had about half the charcoal left(that's 10 hours where the outside temp was -5 F and only 9 lb of fuel burned)!!!! These cookers are built for the cold weather. You will not be dissapointed if you make the purchase!!!!

justalilow
09-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I own a BB and have personally used it in a snow storm, doesn't change the way the cooker performs. They do a really good job at maintaining temps in the cold weather.

smokinit
09-03-2015, 07:38 PM
It will laugh at the winter bud will be great to.have one in your neck of the woods.

IamMadMan
09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
I have the Humphrey's Down East Beast, although we don't get as cold as your area, I have cooked many times in Zero degree weather. It chugs along just fine and believe it or not, it didn't burn any more charcoal than in warm weather.

I think you'll find Humphrey's as a good choice...

Magnum338
09-03-2015, 10:04 PM
I will be soon moving up from a WSM to a Down East Beast. Many of the Brethren recommend buying larger than you think you will need. It's rare to see someone say they regret buying one to big.

BBQLuver
09-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Sallen you don't want to wait a month till PFD's come out and get the pint? They should be about $2,100 this year.

PFD?
I'm looking to order a Pint soon. Should I be waiting?

pga7602
09-03-2015, 11:28 PM
PFD?

Any idea how much shipping would be to LA? I'M in the same area and have been looking at these

BBQLuver
09-03-2015, 11:38 PM
For shipping I decided I didn't want shipping to be a deciding factor. While it will add to the cost I don't want to look back and wish I spent a little extra to get a better smoker, but didn't because it cost more to ship.

Sallenthornton
09-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. After careful consideration, I have decided to order the Pint. The Battle Box would have been perfect, but if I truly wanted this to be my last smoker, it made sense to go bigger than what I originally wanted.

I appreciate everyones comments and insight. Will be ordering on Tuesday.

Lowki
09-04-2015, 09:09 AM
The cooker will run great, no matter the weather. The cook however may need some extra insulation. (or bourbon)

mcyork28
09-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Any idea how much shipping would be to LA? I'M in the same area and have been looking at these

You should check with Big Poppa Smokers. You might be able to pickup, I think they are in the Inland Empire.

SmokinBuddha
09-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I agree always buy a bigger size than what you think you might need.

IamMadMan
09-04-2015, 01:40 PM
I will be soon moving up from a WSM to a Down East Beast. Many of the Brethren recommend buying larger than you think you will need. It's rare to see someone say they regret buying one to big.

One great feature about the Humphrey's Down East Beast is that it is so well insulated uses the same amount of charcoal to cook 2 pork butts as it does to cook 10, and in almost the same time frame.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Beast again, but order the stainless shelves as an upgrade... I love the smoker as much today as I did when I bought it over 3 years ago...

smokinit
09-04-2015, 04:00 PM

Whats your zip code bud I will run you a quote

Sallenthornton
09-04-2015, 09:25 PM
The Beast would be overkill for my needs. I convinced myself that the Battle Box was the perfect smoker for my small family of 3, but you guys convinced met step up to to thinnest level. I have been drooling over the Pint and feel 100% comfortable that it will handle my needs and more for the future. All I need to do now is figure out the options... :)

RoyBQ
09-05-2015, 12:27 AM
PFD?

PFD = Permanent Fund Dividend

Every eligible Alaska resident receives one in October for earnings on oil revenue investments.

Sallenthornton
09-05-2015, 03:36 AM
Love FREE money! I never plan for the dividend, but this year is supposed to be a nice little chunk of change. It should cover the price of the smoker, a few upgrades and a portion of the shipping.

I am thinking candy apple green for the colors (doors and box) and black for the accent pieces. Thoughts?

BBQLuver
09-05-2015, 01:01 PM
PFD = Permanent Fund Dividend

Every eligible Alaska resident receives one in October for earnings on oil revenue investments.

Ah, thanks... guess I don't need to wait. I hit up Alex from NE Pro BBQ. I'm ordering my Pint this weekend :clap2: woo hoo