PDA

View Full Version : Death of the entry level cabinet Smoker

allboy
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised to see no one makes a low-mid cost cabinet smoker anymore. All I have seen are these cheap Dyna-glo's. Does anyone know why no manufactures make a "under 600.00" cabinet offset? They all seem to make the horizontal type. Is the horizontal design superior?

redline bovine
09-02-2015, 04:46 PM
i'm not sure that the horizontal design is superior or not. If I had to take a guess, I would say that the verticle design is superior(natural travel for heat is UP^). Just my 2cents.

WildeMan
09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Are you taking a straight vertical, or an offset vertical like a bandera? A plain vertical seems to be what I think of when I hear the term "cabinet". As far as those go, it seems like everyone that buys a cabinet, wants to get an insulated one. There's a ton of them out there made by many companies in many sizes, at many price points. And they just work really well.

I don't know why the offset vertical aren't more popular, since in many ways they actually seem superior. Maybe it's just an aquired taste or personal opinion thing.

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Brinkman Trailmaster Homo depot

allboy
09-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Are you taking a straight vertical, or an offset vertical like a bandera? A plain vertical seems to be what I think of when I hear the term "cabinet". As far as those go, it seems like everyone that buys a cabinet, wants to get an insulated one. There's a ton of them out there made by many companies in many sizes, at many price points. And they just work really well.

I don't know why the offset vertical aren't more popular, since in many ways they actually seem superior. Maybe it's just an aquired taste or personal opinion thing.
I don't see any offset verticals, or vertical that are not junk at a affordable price other then the two mentioned in this thread.

ButtBurner
09-02-2015, 06:06 PM
its all marketing.

the popular perception of a "old time real smoker" for the typical public is a horizontal offset, not a vertical.

Nuco59
09-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I can still find the super cheap, small charcoal, or propane or electric verticals. But you seem to have a point - there's just nothing in that "sweet spot" (to me) of $300 to $600.00. Something that would have some decently thick metal, hold a LOT of food and be more or less air tight. I'd think there was a market for such a thing- and now I'm as puzzled as you. soooo- I might just have to bust out and make my own- not like there aren't a lot of websites to take ideas from:grin:

landarc
09-02-2015, 08:32 PM
its all marketing.

the popular perception of a "old time real smoker" for the typical public is a horizontal offset, not a vertical.
This. Everyone looks at t.v. and sees horizontal offsets

krex1010
09-02-2015, 10:09 PM
With the exception of the webers, I don't see any quality smokers/BBQ cookers at the big box stores these days. Most are super cheap, super thin, have gaps you could slide a rib through.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 10:16 PM
That is section in our craft that is missing

martyleach
09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
I have had several over the years. Seems to me the vertical has trouble keeping temps below 285-300 unless something has changed.

FireChief
09-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Although not in the market, I always check out the smokers/grills at the big box stores just for kicks. I'm just socked at the absolute junk that is being sold these days even at the $200-$300 range. They are so thin I would be afraid they would melt after a few uses !

Only thing I've really seen that around that price range are some of the Old Country Pits at academy. Yes, even these don't have superior craftsmanship but are fairly durable compared to most anything else I've seen out there. If you have the coin to move up to $1K, the Old Country Brazos is a pretty serious small horizontal offset. It's either 3/16" or 1/4" and very solid. Other than that pay a few hundred bucks for something you'll replace after a season or two or spend big bucks on a real heavy duty or custom pit that will last decades. That's what I finally did and glad I finally pulled the trigger a few years ago and got rid of all the rest of my junk. Just my $.02.

SmittyJonz
09-03-2015, 08:39 AM
The small one is $700 ish ?

https://m.facebook.com/boathousesmokers

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/75B35828-CE50-4125-B961-4C654FCBC337_zpsbxxssipa.png (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/75B35828-CE50-4125-B961-4C654FCBC337_zpsbxxssipa.png.html)

Untraceable
09-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Someone just needs to make a square WSM. Preferably a door instead of a lid.

Doesnt need to be reverse flow, just needs to be relatively air tight, and light.

SmittyJonz
09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
BaddAss Assassin Grill (Smoker) is only $650.

oldbill
09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
its all marketing.

the popular perception of a "old time real smoker" for the typical public is a horizontal offset, not a vertical.Exactly! Several years ago I'd roll my eyes and laugh at the Bandera and any other vertical style of cooker because all I'd grown up seeing or ever cooked on were the horizontal type but once I did my homework on them I realized all of the really good things about them.
Now I OWN a vertical offset and I wouldn't trade it for any horizontal cooker out there!:wink:

allboy
09-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Someone just needs to make a square WSM. Preferably a door instead of a lid.

Doesnt need to be reverse flow, just needs to be relatively air tight, and light.
It's cool to be square:clap2:

KC Smoke
09-03-2015, 12:03 PM
I love my vertical offsets. One legit complaint would be the drippings. You have to be conscience of raw over cooked and flavors combining from say brisket over ribs or whatever. Low and slow temps have never been a problem although hot and fast was a struggle the other day. I had a hard time just getting to 300.

allboy
09-03-2015, 05:32 PM
BaddAss Assassin Grill (Smoker) is only $650.

I like the looks of those, but after shipping cost up here the price likely doubles. If I lived within driving range of Assassin I would have one. Good value for what you get.

Shipping costs kills most of us that dont like in the "bbq maker areas" due to the weight of these beasts.