PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning a new WSM - noob question

Bandman
09-02-2015, 12:17 PM
In the reading I have done, there are recommendations that to season a new smoker you should run it with some fat, chicken parts or other meat you don't intend to eat to get the inside coated and get some practice controlling temperature.

Is this a good idea? Could I use an inexpensive breakfast sausage fatty for this purpose?

SD_Smoker
09-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I just ran mine with a full burn and some wood to burn off the "new" interior stuff. You could throw something on there like bacon to get some fat cooking.

pigville porkers
09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
I am always to impatient, I just cook in them and they get seasened

cheez59
09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I ran mine with nothing but charcoal and all the vents wide open. It got to 472 degrees according to my Maverick. Then I did a double smoke 10 pound shank portion ham. Inside got coated perfectly. No leaks anywhere and I haven't looked back.

KevinJ
09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Wiped mine down filled it up with charcoal and wood chunks, thew on two 9lb+ Boston Butts and let her rip.

Jason TQ
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
I ran mine with meat in it that I was going to eat to start :-D

Bandman
09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Sounds like I just need to go for it. I fired it up last night really hot to burn any residue off. I'll pick up a shoulder for the weekend!

Thanks for the replies!

Harbormaster
09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
There is no need to season a WSM as it is porcelain coated, not exposed steel like an offset pit.

Maybe wash the insides and grates with dish soap and warm water to be sure there is no manufacturing residue, but cook on it with your first fire. You're G2G.

darkoozy
09-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I didnt season mine. There's no need to season the WSM. As time passes with more cooks it will season itself nicely.

JoeSmoker
09-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Either way is good. You did the right thing running a batch of charcoal and getting it good and hot.

Happy Hapgood
09-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Every cook is gunk build up and a good seal. Congratulations on one of the best smokers out there.

krex1010
09-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Weber's porcelain finish doesn't need to be seasoned, there may be a slight break in period where it runs a tad hotter in the beginning. But nothing bad will happen if you don't season it. I wiped mine out with a damp paper towel and let her rip, paper towel didn't even have dust on it after I wiped it.

smokingkettle
09-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I am always to impatient, I just cook in them and they get seasened

^This

Bandman
09-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Wow!

Thanks to all who replied on this. It is great to have such fantastic resources!

I am going to do my first smoke tonight with something simple (maybe some sausages) so that I can practice my temp control before throwing a butt on this weekend.

Bludawg
09-03-2015, 09:33 AM
No need to season Weber as it is all porcelain coated so there is no bare steel to seal up. Go some some meat.

darkoozy
09-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Wow!

Thanks to all who replied on this. It is great to have such fantastic resources!

I am going to do my first smoke tonight with something simple (maybe some sausages) so that I can practice my temp control before throwing a butt on this weekend.

Dont worry too much about temp control on the WSM.

Its pretty easy, and it holds temps quite nicely. Pork butt is quite forgiving, and there is little chance you will mess it up :) You gonna get some great Q out of it!

B-More BBQ Junkie
09-03-2015, 10:53 AM
I didn't season mine before the first cook. All you have to be aware of is that it will run about 25-35 degrees hotter on it's maiden smoke. No need to do a burn off, because Weber doesn't use packing oil/grease or anything of that nature taht you would have to worry about tainting your meat.

RolandJT
09-04-2015, 08:43 AM
If you're really worried cook some chicken thighs/legs. they'll be fine, but if the worst happens they are cheap enough to toss.

Also--chicken can be cooked sucessfully over about a 300 degree range (anywhere 250 to 550 really), so if it's a bit hard to control temp the first time no big deal.

That said, the chicken will be fine so plan to eat it.

hachi-roku_fan
09-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Ok so I'd thought I'd pose the question here instead of starting a new thread since this relates to this topic.

How many cooks until it seals itself up? I've done 2 myself, previous owner did 2 too, but I still feel like it doesn't snuff itself out. Temps stay pretty consistent, but when I'm done and shut everything off, it'll just burn through any remaining fuel. Should I get a gasket kit? This is a 22.5