PDA

View Full Version : First Brisket cook!

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Well its Started. Got the smoker fired up. Not even 8 a.m. Threw on 2 baby back ribs and a chuckie to fill the smoker! I'll Keep ya guys updated :D Gonna be a fine day!

BIL'S BBQ
09-02-2015, 07:10 AM
I love these real time cooks! all be following all day to see the progress! im finalizing all my plans for this weekends cook this morning and gathering all my needed supplies... so I have food/bbq on my mind!

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Looks like a great start to the day :thumb:

I like the idea of getting the ribs off at lunch then pork and brisket round supper time

dad2jsc
09-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Nice looking cook you have going! I wish my Wednesday's started out like yours.

JohnnyB
09-02-2015, 07:35 AM
When you get to enjoy the end results at multiple points of the day, it keeps your head in the game. Ribs, Mmmmmm.......

LMAJ
09-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Love filling the cooker - just makes sense to me... plenty of Q for the rest of the week.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 07:39 AM
When you get to enjoy the end results at multiple points of the day, it keeps your head in the game. Ribs, Mmmmmm.......

Exactly. Just extra motivation so the brisket turns out well! I normally would still be in bed haha

bam
09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Way to start the day. :clap2: If I leave now I could be there in time to pull the brisket off. :-P

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Can someone answer a question for me! I'm going by the method bludawg sent me the other day cooking 275-325. He says to wrap in butcher paper at 4 hours. Well I found out u cant buy butcher paper at walmart. I'm wrapping in foil. do i still wrap at 4 hours since it will cook differently in foil?

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 08:43 AM
You have a brown paper grocery sack??? Foil will work but it won't give the same final result.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 08:48 AM
You have a brown paper grocery sack??? Foil will work but it won't give the same final result.

Nah, they are in the trash if i did. well if this turns out well anyways then I'll make sure i buy some butcher paper from amazon or something for the next brisket. I forgot about it Until 1 a.m. last night Had to make a special trip for something to wrap with! I'll see what its like with foil vs butcher paper :D.

Whats the difference in final result? If it just effects the bark then I'll deal with it.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Looks like a great start. Have fun, and good luck.

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Nah, they are in the trash if i did. well if this turns out well anyways then I'll make sure i buy some butcher paper from amazon or something for the next brisket. I forgot about it Until 1 a.m. last night Had to make a special trip for something to wrap with! I'll see what its like with foil vs butcher paper :D.

Whats the difference in final result? If it just effects the bark then I'll deal with it.
When it comes of the pit open the foil and leave it alone until the IT is down in the 150's:thumb:

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
When it comes of the pit open the foil and leave it alone until the IT is down in the 150's:thumb:

Will do!

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 10:05 AM
3 Hours in. Checking the ribs! Gonna let them go for another 20-30 before i wrap them. I assume i still have a long ways to go for the brisket! I moved everything to the front of the grill to take the picture. Sun is shining over the grill couldn't get a good shot. Also I don't spritz my ribs with anything. I normally Wrap at 3 hours in.

In the first picture I assume that where the line of fat meets the top of the meat is considered the split between the flat and the point correct?

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 10:27 AM
That's your your cut line. You are in for a longer cook there is to much fat you didn't trim it out. All that fat extends the cook time as it keeps the heat off the meat.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 10:39 AM
That's your your cut line. You are in for a longer cook there is to much fat you didn't trim it out. All that fat extends the cook time as it keeps the heat off the meat.

Yeah I figured that would be the case. I realized that I left My good Knife set else where. So i was in a bind. i trimmed whatever I could off. I only seen one or two video's on how to trim it. Wasn't exactly sure how much to take off.

Main reason why there's ribs and a chuck roast on there :-D

Should i still wrap at 4 hours? Should i leave unwrapped for longer since there is alot of fat?

Thanks for the helpful info through the cook! I'm Taking notes through the entire process! For the record This is new territory for me. I'm no where near a profession cook Just got this smoker a month or so ago! but luckily I've got the basics down because of this site!

landarc
09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Wrap based on color, at this point, you will want that fat to render a lot more. Still, you're in good shape. I think your temp might be a bit low for Bludawg brisket, you should be seeing more color. Are you at 300F?

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Wrap based on color, at this point, you will want that fat to render a lot more. Still, you're in good shape. I think your temp might be a bit low for Bludawg brisket, you should be seeing more color. Are you at 300F?

I've been running a solid 300-325F most of the morning. But thats with default temp gauage. but the brisket is in the center and its fairly accurate on the grate in that area from using a grate gauge when testing it out for the first few cooks! I haven't decided to get all technical and get gauges for everything :) It's worked pretty good so far. and If it cooks a little longer it gives me a chance to get out of doing something haha

I say I'm gonna check it in another hour with the ribs. the ribs will be wrapped for 2 hours.

landarc
09-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Personally, at 300F, I wrap ribs for only 1 hour. The 3-2-1 method is really for 225F cooks.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Personally, at 300F, I wrap ribs for only 1 hour. The 3-2-1 method is really for 225F cooks.

Same here. but I checked them at the 1 hour mark. they didn't seem near time to pull them from the foil. Brisket is just gonna take some time. That's fine :) Is there anything i need to know about the brisket at the rate its cooking? anything that is different than what I planned on?

landarc
09-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Nope, stick with the plan. The only thing that changes will be the length of the cook, get it to probe tender.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 12:14 PM
SO i decided to get some readings for the sake of the forum. At the grate closest to the center of the brisket i'm running at 250-275. The brisket is sitting at 151 where i was to check prob tender! So I'm at 25-50 degree's off from the top of the cook chamber (to be expected since heat rises. I didn't seal my doors with anything but there's not much of a leak around the doors)

landarc
09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
I woulda bet on those numbers, judging by your progress. I cook a lot of briskets at 275°F, and they usually come out great

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 12:34 PM
I woulda bet on those numbers, judging by your progress. I cook a lot of briskets at 275°F, and they usually come out great

Yeah, Honestly I'm sure its not accurate. but here's the progress. I dunno anything other than Man its cooking, and its looking good. Might take a while. but its getting there!

BIL'S BBQ
09-02-2015, 01:01 PM
man that brisket looks great! those ribs are looking close to done, looks like they have pulled a good bit from the end of the bone!

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 01:06 PM
if you are using the pits temp gauge you aint cooking at 300 on the grate more like 230 -225 on the grate.

before trimming
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/Brisket%20tutorial/DSCF0034.jpg
after trimming
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/Brisket%20tutorial/DSCF0035.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/Brisket%20tutorial/DSCF0042.jpg

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 01:10 PM
if you are using the pits temp gauge you aint cooking at 300 on the grate more like 230 -225 on the grate.

Yeah it looks like i could of shaved it down a bit more :thumb: And yea I figure I'm between 225-250 because the ribs are cooking along side the 3-2-1 method they are getting ready to be pulled form the grill now I allowed a little extra cook time. I guess I've got a while on the brisket then :shock: Cheers!

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 01:36 PM
send SHMBO to the wally world with 5 bucs and get an oven thermo for your grate then you will know how far of the installed thermo really is and you can adjust accordingly to go by the installed therm to get the right grate temp.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
send SHMBO to the wally world with 5 bucs and get an oven thermo for your grate then you will know how far of the installed thermo really is and you can adjust accordingly to go by the installed therm to get the right grate temp.

I'll plan on getting one, don't have anyone at the moment to call on to go get one :D I'll do that for the next cook to get a good accurate temp on the grate. Decided to wrap here! I did check IT for sake of the forum I assume i hit the famous stall at 152?

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Looking real good. So how are the ribs coming along?

BRBBQ
09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Looking like a great meal

Rick757BBQ
09-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I did a 14# last night plus an 11# butt for an office retirement party. Sorry no pics....but it is all gone.
Wrapped both after 4 hours of smoke.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Looking real good. So how are the ribs coming along?

Here's the ribs. They aren't fall of the bone but the pull from the bone with ease. Done? Haven't sliced the Beef chuckie yet. I'm calling undercooked on the ribs. Not sure why

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Here's the sliced chuckie

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
I like my ribs with just a little tug, so yup they're done. Fall off the bone is a preference of some though.

Both look real good :hungry: :thumb:

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
I like my ribs with just a little tug, so yup they're done. Fall off the bone is a preference of some though.

Both look real good :hungry: :thumb:

Yeah I had a couple people try the ribs. we all came to a conclusion they were done :D Tastes good too! I'll check the brisket in about another hour
-

BIL'S BBQ
09-02-2015, 02:59 PM
what kind of smoker and wood you using? the smoker ring looks rather pink in both the ribs and chuck... mine turn out more red, not that there is anything wrong with yours, just wondering if its the different wood or something...

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Glad to hear the ribs were a hit :thumb:

You are checking that briskey for probe tender correct?

Bil's, the color of the smoke ring can very from cut to cut. But more likely it's more red from the rub you use. I'll see if I can find the thread where this was discussed

ETA: Use the google search at the bottom of the thread and type in "smokering color" and it will give you tons to read about it

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
what kind of smoker and wood you using? the smoker ring looks rather pink in both the ribs and chuck... mine turn out more red, not that there is anything wrong with yours, just wondering if its the different wood or something...

Its a Brinkman trailmaster LE. Burning red oak. I'm not sure what the specific type of red oak it is. but its a very mild taste to the meat. Everything I've pulled off this smoker with this wood the smoke ring has been pink like you said. must be the wood

Yendor
09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
My preference is pull off the bone, fall off the bone is too mushy for me. Maybe good for a retirement home, but not my que. Looks tasty.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear the ribs were a hit :thumb:

You are checking that briskey for probe tender correct?

Yeah The briskey has a while to go still. I did check IT to get an idea its hanging at 172. I dunno how many hours. it still has a good bit of resistance to probing. But I agree if you like bark foil totally ruins it! I dont mind that tho.

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah you got a while. usually it temps near 200 +/- when it probes tender in my experience

But to me it's soooooo worth the wait

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Yeah you got a while. usually it temps near 200 +/- when it probes tender in my experience

But to me it's soooooo worth the wait

I hope so! I've never ate brisket, Never cooked it. But knowing it was well worth the time and effort I had to try it once I figured the smoker out! anyways. Sorry to reply at like everything everyone says. I've got time to kill. haha

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 04:01 PM
You'll enjoy it my friend, guarantee you that.

Ahhh don't worry bout the replies when you have extra time. You should be here when I do all night cooks. There's all kinds of "discussion" :pound:

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Well there is one down side to this cook! I ordered a black stone griddle Yesterday morning . and the black stone tool set. Over night shipping. They forgot to put the griddle on the truck that caused a 1 day delay. Wont be here til tomorrow. I have to sit in the living room staring at the freaking Tool Kit without a griddle! HAHAHA! that really sucks! Was hoping to be seasoning it and preparing to make brisket omlets in the morning! :D

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
You could always find something to test the tool kit out on :becky:

Ya know to make "adjustments" and put the kit to the test

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Well I didn't wanna tell that story. But if u must. I played with my invisible griddle acting like i was One of those awesome Japanese Griddle Miesters!

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 04:19 PM
:thumb: Now that's the Brethren way!!!!!!

Even if we don't admit it....................we've all done it twice..............if not more

RolandJT
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Good call, Blu!! :clap2:

We did this way before butcher paper when i was growing up this was the method for a pit ham

RolandJT
09-02-2015, 04:25 PM

I'm also pretty sure 3-2-1 is full spares. Would kill BB's at 300

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm also pretty sure 3-2-1 is full spares. Would kill BB's at 300

Yeah that's how I cook my spare ribs. But honestly It was similar cooking the BB. I say on the grate i'm only cooking 225-250

BigLakeSmoker
09-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Looking good! You never forget your first... brisket.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Looking good! You never forget your first... brisket.

Let me guess. Because it takes so dang long? Man I've only cooked 6-8 hrs tops. I Started my fire at 7 this morning :D Early for me. haha

Update: Brisket's still on the smoker! Last I checked sitting close to 185! I'm still cooking. Hopefully it wont be long maybe before dark. I dunno we'll see. How long Will the rest period be?

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
The top of the bark is starting to pull apart. I assume this is normal. Its not quite probe tender in the thickest part of the flat imo. Sorry I had to taste it :twisted:

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
It sometimes can pull a little. And you're almost there.

How was it?

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
It sometimes can pull a little. And you're almost there.

How was it?

Good flavor. At least from the piece of bark/fat I ate. Fat melted in my mouth which is a good thing. I rubbed it with Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Course ground pepper. I'm ready for a good nap during the Rest session :D Wake up few hours later and try it out :D

PatAttack
09-02-2015, 05:57 PM
You'll enjoy it my friend, guarantee you that.

Ahhh don't worry bout the replies when you have extra time. You should be here when I do all night cooks. There's all kinds of "discussion" :pound:

I have no idea what you're talking about!:becky::thumb:

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear that :thumb: get ya a nap before you indulge in it's excellence

I knew you wouldn't Brother Pat :laugh:

mikemci
09-02-2015, 06:48 PM
It will be done sooner if you probe through the foil. Don't open the foil to probe.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 07:07 PM
It will be done sooner if you probe through the foil. Don't open the foil to probe.

Good tip. Never thought about it! BUt Its still got some time left to it Just gonna let it ride. I think its being stubborn.

Update: Resisting the urge to pull this brisket! Its gonna be the best thing I've ever ate! no need to ruin it now! Is it possible the juices in the bottom of the foil is Keeping the meat from going up in temp? I'm sure this isn't the case Just curious Sitting at 190 where i probed it.

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 08:22 PM
liquid will speed it along drain it before you rest it chill it while you nap remove the fat puck and warm it back up.dip your meat

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 08:28 PM
liquid will speed it along drain it before you rest it chill it while you nap remove the fat puck and warm it back up.dip your meat

So I'm on my final pieces of dry wood! so after this burns out I'm pulling it. Its probing tender, Can it do this under 200F? i'm sitting pretty at 195%

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 08:29 PM
If it's probing tender it's good to go. And yes it can be done at 195

landarc
09-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, the lower your cooking temperature, the longer the cook, the lower the finish temperature can be. Final results will tell the tale.

And get a cooker thermometer

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Yes, the lower your cooking temperature, the longer the cook, the lower the finish temperature can be. Final results will tell the tale.

And get a cooker thermometer

Yeah I would love to have an accurate reading on the grill grates. Its been 13 hrs on this brisket! I'm pulling it no matter what when my temp drops in the cooking chamber. Lets hope we have a winner! I'll post pull picture shortly

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 08:40 PM
meat IT is irrelevant if the thickest part of the flat is probe tender it's done.

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 08:45 PM
^^^^ He speaks the truth

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 09:10 PM
meat IT is irrelevant if the thickest part of the flat is probe tender it's done.

So saying this in specific instances could a brisket be done at like 175? Just curious!

13 Hours in. Pulled it off. I think the top of it got a little roast like (Pull apart) ! but I'm sure once it rests and I slice it It'll be just fine!

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
HAHA, forgot to upload image! I forgot to put fatcap down as well when i wrapped it! Now this could be totally ruined! I have no idea! and sorry if the final result doesn't live up to the 13 hour journey on this forum! but you guys have been nothing but a helpful bunch of people! I appreciate all the kind words and helpful advice! We'll see when its slicing time! Time to go to the store to buy some Fishing supplies during the rest period! Goin fishin tomorrow!

landarc
09-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Don't put that camera away, we love slice pictures

cseymour45
09-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Well the few pieces that are flaking off look tasty! Was this a select, choice or prime? Do you think you went easy on the rub in your opinion? When I get mine rubbed up I don't take it easy at all when it comes to course black pepper and kosher salt.

Good work, and you get to finish tomm?? This just keeps getting better.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Well the few pieces that are flaking off look tasty! Was this a select, choice or prime? Do you think you went easy on the rub in your opinion? When I get mine rubbed up I don't take it easy at all when it comes to course black pepper and kosher salt.

Good work, and you get to finish tomm?? This just keeps getting better.

yeah Going fishing tomorrow evening all night. Gonna try to get some fish to throw on the smoker! And things just keep getting better. I'll be expecting my Blackstone Griddle tomorrow as well. as much as i hate to say it Hopefully i'll be to busy catching fish It might be friday before I can unbox/season the griddle!

It was choice cut. I went very easy on the rub. With the beef I like the flavor of the meat better than anything I put on it. I seasoned it for the fact to have some extra flavor to it.

@landarc I'm scared to show you slice pictures HAHA!! I'll check in a few to see if its close to slicing time!

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 10:35 PM
AT LAST!! THE FINALE!! Slices for you guys! I have to say. the taste is AMAZING!!! Doesn't matter if it looks good! I'm 100% pleased with this outrageously long cook lol! Obviously I didn't get around trimming the fat off. It was still pretty warm. Wanted to give you guys a taste

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 10:38 PM
You did it! congrats! looks yummy.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Alright I have to ask! I've never ate brisket before. Can someone describe the taste? Is it sorta like a roast flavor? I could be wrong but it reminds me of a Roast flavor wise

Demosthenes9
09-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Alright I have to ask! I've never ate brisket before. Can someone describe the taste? Is it sorta like a roast flavor? I could be wrong but it reminds me of a Roast flavor wise

If it's tasting like roast beef then I'd wager it spent too much time steaming in the foil. Looking back at some of the previous picks, that looks to be the case. Specifically, the one where the top of the brisket was shredding out but it wasn't quite probing tender as of yet.

blazinfire
09-02-2015, 11:18 PM
If it's tasting like roast beef then I'd wager it spent too much time steaming in the foil. Looking back at some of the previous picks, that looks to be the case. Specifically, the one where the top of the brisket was shredding out but it wasn't quite probing tender as of yet.

I only ate a couple pieces I'm gonna let it finish cooling before working it up. it was still a bit warm when i sliced those few pieces. When I do I'll pay more attention of the flavor profile of the meat. But it did seem to me it does taste a lil roast beefy? I'll update ya on that shortly.

Its not bad at all. I loved what i tried of it! But if that's the case maybe thats the reason why I hear butcher paper being used instead? Could that help that situation?

Also I did some research looking at other people's briskets. I feel I wrapped to early! There was more color in the one's I've seen. So that could be where it started

Update: So I separated the Point and the flat. The Point after cutting out the fatty parts was pretty much like roast/pulled beef. I trimmed the fat cap mostly off. Can I use this fat for anything or is it scrap? And I sliced another piece It just tastes like beef to me. Smokey, Maybe a slight roast beefy flavor but not much.

Diesel Dave
09-03-2015, 05:41 AM
Looks real good :thumb:

Now I've personally never seen one finish at the temp you mentioned, 175. Even low and slow that's just not hot enough. The 190+/- is the lowest temp I've seen.

As to the flavor, I have to agree you wrapped too early. And it doesn't have to do with it not being butcher paper. You did a great job for your first brisket, now you've got one under your belt it'll only get better from here. We all know our cookers and how they cook, so it's going to be a bit different for each of us. I go by color when I do brisket, when it's the color I like it goes into a pan and is covered with foil. As you do more you'll get it down to be just what you like

BIL'S BBQ
09-03-2015, 07:07 AM
man that looks good! great job

I did my first brisket flat a week or so ago, didn't cook long enough... got worried when it probed 205 IT so I pulled it, I didn't read the part about probe tender before I cooked it...

my next one will be different as I will follow the bluedawg plan!

blazinfire
09-03-2015, 07:42 AM
man that looks good! great job

I did my first brisket flat a week or so ago, didn't cook long enough... got worried when it probed 205 IT so I pulled it, I didn't read the part about probe tender before I cooked it...

my next one will be different as I will follow the bluedawg plan!

I'm pretty pleased how this turned out. I wrapped the separated point/fat and threw it in the fridge over night. Getting ready to slice up a few pieces for breakfast :D I will make sure next time I don't wrap early

Say i didn't wrap at all, or wrapped late what would the taste be like? Is it drastically different than what i described?

Update. So I finished slicing it up, getting ready to vacuum seal and freeze. You guys are right I'll probably never forget my first brisket! Good stuff!

Bludawg
09-03-2015, 08:53 AM

That's what foil get ya Roast Beef flavor instead of Smoky Beefy BBQ goodness. Two totally different critters get some paper and a thermometer for the grate. I think for the first time you did a great job overcame temptation and learned a lot for the next time, it only gets better from here.

blazinfire
09-03-2015, 08:57 AM
That's what foil get ya Roast Beef flavor instead of Smoky Beefy BBQ goodness. Two totally different critters.

Haha yeah, If I knew that it would change the flavor of it. I would of been hesitant to wrapping it so early! like i said earlier though. Its still freakin awesome! I packed most of it up in vacuum bags for later consumption.

Thanks everyone for the help =D

landarc
09-03-2015, 09:19 AM
It looks good. At the temp I think you cooked, you could have skipped the wrap altogether. Still, nice cooking

blazinfire
09-03-2015, 10:09 AM
It looks good. At the temp I think you cooked, you could have skipped the wrap altogether. Still, nice cooking

I agree 100%. Now I just have to find a way to buy another brisket :D