PDA

View Full Version : Rib off

Oakswamper
09-01-2015, 11:25 PM
I have been doing BBQ for people since 1987, my first cook for a lot of people was a 100 year anniversary at the American Legion I belong to (I cooked 4 whole hogs on a pit we built for chickens at the legion lol) Turned out great. I have been doing graduation parties and weddings since then and I can tell you I only charge what it cost me (only do it for friends).

My daughters signed me up for a rib off this coming weekend and sold tickets so they shamed me to do it. I told them the way I do my ribs won't win but they insist. If there is interest I will post pictures starting Saturday.

I have to cook 20 racks and serve starting at 3 til 8 lol. We will see what happens

bbqwizard
09-01-2015, 11:29 PM
absolutely!

Rib offs are great! I would do them every weekend if I could.

Tell your girls, good job, then tell them they have to help:-P

Oakswamper
09-01-2015, 11:41 PM
absolutely!

Rib offs are great! I would do them every weekend if I could.

Tell your girls, good job, then tell them they have to help:-P

They are in charge of making my lot look good and their husband are gonna learn how to do things lol

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 12:23 AM
YES! lets see those pics

Q Junkie
09-02-2015, 12:43 AM
I love to BBQ and cook for my family, however I have never considered cooking in any type of a competition. Having said that if my kids encouraged me to do it and agreed to be a part of it, I would not be able to say no. Kind of like everything else. :-D

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Best of luck!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your adventure

Titch
09-02-2015, 05:21 AM
Good luck mate,
you need to explain to me what a Rib off is Please

BigBobBQ
09-02-2015, 05:26 AM
good luck and post some pics so we can see how it turned out.

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Titch a Rib Off is a rib competition that is judged by the public.
So basically it's a peoples choice for who makes the best ribs contest. Most are local events and not sanctioned by the major BBQ associations

Titch
09-02-2015, 05:48 AM
thanks mate

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 05:53 AM
:thumb: glad to help ya out there my friend

DriverWild
09-02-2015, 07:53 AM
People's Choice can be tricky. Teams usually invite everyone they know to come vote for them. I was in a People's choice/blind judging competition about a month ago and the team that won both categories in People Choice did not get called at all in blind judging. They were locals that brought a ton of people to the event to vote for them. Sometimes sponsors will buy a bundle of tickets and vote for their team(s). So to say the best food wins would be an incorrect assumption, it's all about that votes.

Good luck to you, remember it's all about having fun!

JohnnyB
09-02-2015, 07:55 AM
So I assume the typical concerns of official competition cooking will not be present? Who says your ribs won't win? If it's based on people's choice, people like flavor, and probably won't worry about presentation or the greens in your box.

JohnnyB
09-02-2015, 08:16 AM
People's Choice can be tricky. Teams usually invite everyone they know to come vote for them. I was in a People's choice/blind judging competition about a month ago and the team that won both categories in People Choice did not get called at all in blind judging. They were locals that brought a ton of people to the event to vote for them. Sometimes sponsors will buy a bundle of tickets and vote for their team(s). So to say the best food wins would be an incorrect assumption, it's all about that votes.

Good luck to you, remember it's all about having fun!
I was trying to be positive, but this info makes a lot of sense. Screw it! Just have fun with it, you'll probably get to meet a bunch of like minded people and have a great day.

Ron_L
09-02-2015, 08:45 AM
What is it about your ribs that make you think they won't win? If the public is voting most folks like fall off the bone ribs, so keep that in mind.

We love pictures so please post them if you can. If not, no worries!

Good luck!

Oakswamper
09-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Ok guys an gals, my intention was to do this live but I was so busy. They were suppose to have 8 teams and the last minute 2 teams didn't show up so they asked the rest of us to cook their ribs cause they sold the tickets.

Of course I said no problem. What i learned, I will never do one of these again (unless I buy a boat lol). I got 3rd in the public choice (I sold the least amount of Tickets so I'm happy about that) and 2nd in the commodore cup an second in the pitmaster thing. I don't care about how I finished, I had a lot of people say that they liked that the sauce was very light and they could taste the meat. That made my whole day

My youngest daughter had my phone and she said she took a lot of pics so I will post them tomorrow..

I'm going to try a real competition just one time. I know I can't win but I think it will be fun for me and the guys that helped me today ;)

Oakswamper
09-07-2015, 01:05 AM
What is it about your ribs that make you think they won't win? If the public is voting most folks like fall off the bone ribs, so keep that in mind.

We love pictures so please post them if you can. If not, no worries!

Good luck!..

I thought that too, 4 people I didn't know told me the winning ribs could not pulled off the bone lol. All that matters me and my girls had a blast.. Pics to come

Rusty Kettle
09-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Ok guys an gals, my intention was to do this live but I was so busy. They were suppose to have 8 teams and the last minute 2 teams didn't show up so they asked the rest of us to cook their ribs cause they sold the tickets.

Of course I said no problem. What i learned, I will never do one of these again (unless I buy a boat lol). I got 3rd in the public choice (I sold the least amount of Tickets so I'm happy about that) and 2nd in the commodore cup an second in the pitmaster thing. I don't care about how I finished, I had a lot of people say that they liked that the sauce was very light and they could taste the meat. That made my whole day

My youngest daughter had my phone and she said she took a lot of pics so I will post them tomorrow..

I'm going to try a real competition just one time. I know I can't win but I think it will be fun for me and the guys that helped me today ;)

Can't win? Now that's not the right attitude. I cook backyard mind you but if I can get a 1st place ribs call on a 14.5" WSM with 4 racks of trimmed St. Louis spare ribs in a brinkmann rib rack all crammed on the top rack you will be fine. It is the cook not the cooker.

Dan Hixon of Three Eyez BBQ said that to me the first bbq class I ever took. After bombing my first ever comp DAL every category, I took his class and said I was there as we had bombed badly. I said I thought I needed a bigger smoker as I couldn't compete. He cringed when I said it and corrected my thoughts right there. It stuck with me and he is darn well right it's the cook not the cooker. Now I don't think he ever would have imagined I would have taken that to heart and to the extreme and downsized.

My point is don't sell yourself short and don't worry about the big boys whooping on you. They might for awhile beat you but they might not. It is all about knowing your equipment and knowing how to cook meat well. Well cooked meat wins not the guy with most expensive smoker. That guy could win but just as easily could lose.

I am an amateur but will go pro after the next contest and well I think I may just stick with my 14.5" WSMs.

Good Luck and don't let the big smokers and big names intimidate you. They are just people and they are only as good as their knowledge on properly using their equipment.

Diesel Dave
09-07-2015, 06:03 AM
^^^ +1

I'm glad to hear you and your girls had fun, that's really what BBQ is all about

Titch
09-07-2015, 06:29 AM
As long as you and the girls had a blast, nothing else matters.

bbqwizard
09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm proud of you! I bet you made your kids happy too. Congrats on the good placings, and never say never. I bet w see a new thread of your soon, telling us all about another contest;)

cowgirl
09-08-2015, 01:59 PM
That sounds like a blast Oakswamper. Congrats on the great finish!

BigLakeSmoker
09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Congrats! You got some life long memories and you made some great food. Be proud of that.

Fwismoker
09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Should be fun, and wish you the best of luck.