PDA

View Full Version : Best bbq sauce on brisket

Delno1
09-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Looking for great bbq sauce recipe for brisket.no sauce needed but yOu always have somebody asking for some.and I really don't any bottle stuff.

Harbormaster
09-01-2015, 07:36 PM
This (http://www.food.com/recipe/black-jack-bbq-sauce-325423) is one I made a long time ago and liked a lot. Black Jack BBQ Sauce.

mchar69
09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm interested as well - my basic
Brisky sammy = whole wheat bread, mayo, then iceberg or lettuce leaves,
then warm brisket slices, like I had today.
More S+P.
What do you guys do?

dwfisk
09-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Uhhhhhh..........none:becky:

IamMadMan
09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

^ +1.... Best when unadultrated.

Harbormaster
09-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Geez guys, read the OP.
The poster said "no sauce needed", but someone always asks. He doesn't have store bought, and wanted to make some.
"None" is the answer he already had.

Free Mr. Tony
09-01-2015, 07:52 PM
I've made too many to really say a specific recipe, but substitute tomato juice for ketchup works for most recipes. It thins out the sauce considerably, and just seems to work on brisket better than the gloppy stuff. Less sugar, more bite, and very little vinegar seems to be a running theme for good brisket sauce. If you use coffee in your rub (which I love), try some coffee in your sauce as well.

BBQ Freak
09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
I usually eat some slices with out and a few with sauce but when I do I like a very thin sauce like Swamp Boys Sauce .

mikemci
09-01-2015, 07:55 PM

You beat me to it.....I have told many guests " I don't have any sauce". You get some funny looks too. I think that they are thinking "you love to BBQ and you don't have any sauce"???!!

allboy
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
BBQ sauce on brisket? Yuk!

cseymour45
09-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I have altered a few things below and found it to be better. Added about 1/3 cup of a lager style beer. Left out some of the brown sugar (I just don't like super sugary sauces or rubs). Also I would highly recommend cutting the Cumin to about 1/2 Tbs, it's pretty powerful. Overall we love it around my place with pork and brisket.

Classic Barbecue Sauce, by Aaron Franklin

Makes about 3 cups

1 3/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse black pepper

landarc
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
If this were the comp forum, I would say Blues Hog.

But, since it's not, I prefer it served with either a fortified jus (which could be Big Butz Original cut 50/50 with jus)

or with horseradish sauce. Yep, Horsey sauce on brisket is really good

jbounds286
09-01-2015, 08:11 PM
whatever they have at cousin's bbq in fort worth....tho i dont have a recipe for it...but if u find one..please share! im dying to know! lol

smoke ninja
09-01-2015, 08:12 PM
I like just a bit of au jus but a brisket sammie with some bbq sauce can be good eats

Jason TQ
09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't have a go to recipe for brisket sauce but Head Country hot is quite good on beef. About the only way I really like brisket is with sauce or on a sandwich with other stuff.

SDAR
09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
1 tablespoon head country per cup of natural brisket drippings.

Smokesignalsfromtx
09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Head Country or Stubbs.....

Bludawg
09-01-2015, 09:16 PM
This is what I use for Chop beef & Pulled Chuck

BluDawg'sTexas Red Sauce

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup or chili sauce
1 cup *water
6 Tbl *white sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin)
1tsp back pepper
1Tbl New mexico chili powder
1 Tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

Ag76
09-01-2015, 10:00 PM
This is what I use for Chop beef & Pulled Chuck

BluDawg'sTexas Red Sauce

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup or chili sauce
1 cup *water
6 Tbl *white sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin)
1tsp back pepper
1Tbl New mexico chili powder
1 Tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

What does this mean: "2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin)" Are you saying equal parts of Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder
and ground cumin for a total of 2tsp?

Bludawg
09-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Mix it to your heat tolerance. I do 3/4 Guajillo 1 1/2 Chili d'arbol and 3/4 comino, d'arbol is on a heat level of Cayenne

BBQLuver
09-01-2015, 11:09 PM
I also do au jus as well on the side. But I like the idea of mixing in a little BBQ sauce I may try that out sometime (probably more 80/20 than 50/50 though).

bbqwizard
09-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Dinosaur Barbecue Mutha Sauce. Stubbs is good too.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I hate to say to put anything on a brisket. But I totally understand the reason behind it. I have been given that puzzled look before, when I said I had no sauce. But if you can get it, I have found that Kinder's Hot mixed 50/50 with au jus works out pretty well. I like it better than using any of my homemade sauces. They don't deserve it

JonP
09-02-2015, 01:05 AM
I use Sucklebusters or Sweet Baby Rays cut with Sriracha.

Ag76
09-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Mix it to your heat tolerance. I do 3/4 Guajillo 1 1/2 Chili d'arbol and 3/4 comino, d'arbol is on a heat level of Cayenne

Looks good. I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Meatguyver
09-02-2015, 08:20 AM
I agree with the no sauce policy, as i make my own rubs and dont think it needs it. However i sometimes wanna change things up and have a little sauce specially on left over sammies. I had the cooper's sauce in llano and i could drink it straight, it was served warm as most a the sauces i prefer. I wish i had that recipe! Lately ive been mixing something similar to Blu's, but with the aujus from the pulled pork or brisky, just havent got the consistency i like. Sause away if thats what youre into!

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Back in the Day the pitmaster at Louie Mueller BBQ Fred Fountaine was being pestered for a Sauce what follows is his recipe for the only sauce served. As a kid I remember having it there. It's some fine stuff on beef I keep a jug around

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

Fwismoker
09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
I thought sauce on brisket was a heresy? Don't like it personally. Wouldn't you rather be able to taste the meat?

There's a well respected restaurant in town that does "good" brisket...after eating it with all the sauce and crap I vowed NEVER again!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-02-2015, 09:01 AM
That sounds pretty good bludawg.

mikerooooose
09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Not to bring up Franklin's again, but he shared his Espresso BBQ sauce recipes in "Texas Eats" — Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes: Robb Walsh: 9780767921503: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gfd699BvL.@@AMEPARAM@@61gfd699BvL

It's very good for brisket as it's not sweet at all. A little savory with a good kick. I really like it. You can probably get by without the espresso if it's not easily available to you.

http://homemadebbqsauce.org/franklin-bbq-espresso-bbq-sauce/

Woody Butthrie
09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
This sauce uses molasses, which for me gives it more depth. It originally had all ketchup, but I have been slowly phasing it out for tomato sauce and more sweetener as needed. I usually start with a little less brown sugar for beef and then add until it is to my liking and usually end up with a little more brown sugar for chicken and ribs.

1 c Apple Cider Vinegar
C Water
1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Black Pepper
1 Tbl Chili Powder
1 Tbl Paprika
1 Tbl Salt
Tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tsp Onion Powder
Tsp Garlic Powder
3 C Tomato Sauce
1 C Ketchup
1 C Molasses
1 C Brown Sugar
Place all ingredients except ketchup, molasses, and honey in 3 Qt saucepan. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes. Add ketchup and tomato sauce. Simmer another 5 minutes. Add molasses and brown sugar. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency.

jrstout
09-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Sometimes I think BBQers are worse than single malt scotch drinkers when it come to being purists.

PigBull_Okie
09-02-2015, 10:16 AM
I like Head Country hot mixed about 50/50 with the au jus that's left behind in the foil

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Sometimes I think BBQers are worse than single malt scotch drinkers when it come to being purists.

Count me out I'm a Whitedog man :becky:

gtr
09-02-2015, 10:22 AM
I tend not to prefer sauce on brisket, but, since I feed people to hopefully make them happy rather than demonstrate to them what a BBQ genius I am, I like to have something available for those who do like sauce. For brisket it would tend to be something savory, like an au jus type deal. I'll also echo the use of Head Country. I liked that better on beef than other sauces I've tried.

jbounds286
09-02-2015, 11:05 AM
I thought sauce on brisket was a heresy? Don't like it personally. Wouldn't you rather be able to taste the meat?

There's a well respected restaurant in town that does "good" brisket...after eating it with all the sauce and crap I vowed NEVER again!

just because u put sauce on it doesnt mean u cant taste the meat....u just gotta use the right sauce! and not too much of it lol

SmokinJohn
09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
If you have the type of guests who ask for sauce, then before they arrive, take some Stubbs or Chris and Pitts or store brand, put it in a squeeze bottle or two, draw two X's on it in with a Sharpie, and have it ready.

Make sure you toss the store-bought bottles in your neighbor's trash.

pjtexas1
09-02-2015, 02:17 PM
That 20+ page thread on peer pressure really opened my eyes on how some people view us and our opinions so I don't think its good, even for a Texas native, to say anything about ruining a brisket.:tape: Not that I am walking on egg shells but I am trying to see how it looks from the outside to people that don't know us like we know each other. I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own. A little sauce helps change things up. I like the original Stubb's but will be trying some Head Country because the Stubb's is getting a little tired after being the only sauce I have used for a few years. People that come over seem to like Sweet Baby Rays but that is too sweet for brisket imo. I have tried all the Franklin sauces but they are just way to thin/runny for me. This thread is really timely for me.

jbounds286
09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own.

dang how old r u?!:laugh:

i wish i could duplicate the sauce ive been eating on brisket since i was 4...its a very thin runny sauce and i like it cuz its not that strong...nice n subtle . since you are still in texas it is your job to get some of that sauce and duplicate it for me:thumb::thumb:

Fwismoker
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
just because u put sauce on it doesnt mean u cant taste the meat....u just gotta use the right sauce! and not too much of it lol

Meh. Nothing sweet, tangy etc... Now having it in it's own juices/injections as a type of au jus is ALL good :thumb:

Smokin' Greene
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
We just prepare a head country reduced sauce for the side so, he or she can decide.

pjtexas1
09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
dang how old r u?!:laugh:

i wish i could duplicate the sauce ive been eating on brisket since i was 4...its a very thin runny sauce and i like it cuz its not that strong...nice n subtle . since you are still in texas it is your job to get some of that sauce and duplicate it for me:thumb::thumb:

I should be old enough to know better...:doh:

Thanks for the tip. Since my daughter is up north at school I will be driving thru Ft. Worth several times this year. I will make sure to stop at cousins and get several bottles of sauce. Not to help you, just for my personal use.

Hog1990
09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
This is the one I like:

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 chipotle chile from canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

jbounds286
09-02-2015, 03:34 PM
I should be old enough to know better...:doh:

Thanks for the tip. Since my daughter is up north at school I will be driving thru Ft. Worth several times this year. I will make sure to stop at cousins and get several bottles of sauce. Not to help you, just for my personal use.

:mad::mad::mad:

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
That 20+ page thread on peer pressure really opened my eyes on how some people view us and our opinions so I don't think its good, even for a Texas native, to say anything about ruining a brisket.:tape: Not that I am walking on egg shells but I am trying to see how it looks from the outside to people that don't know us like we know each other. I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own. A little sauce helps change things up. I like the original Stubb's but will be trying some Head Country because the Stubb's is getting a little tired after being the only sauce I have used for a few years. People that come over seem to like Sweet Baby Rays but that is too sweet for brisket imo. I have tried all the Franklin sauces but they are just way to thin/runny for me. This thread is really timely for me.
Try the two I posted the first one is very close to Rudy's sissy sauce.

gtr
09-02-2015, 04:42 PM
whatever they have at cousin's bbq in fort worth....tho i dont have a recipe for it...but if u find one..please share! im dying to know! lol

Cousin's is in the Dallas aiport in a couple terminals there. I've definitely done the quick grab n go. They have the sauce available there.

Kyle Serlington
09-02-2015, 04:45 PM
when it comes to brisket i hate sauces that are heavy on the molasses. i think semi thin sauces with a good tomato base and a nice kick but still with some sweetness. i developed a sauce 3years ago that i really like but i haven't written down the recipe yet haha, i gotta do that one of these days. i remember all the ingredients though and i can always seem to get it to taste right when i make it. i do a cup of crushed tomatoes and a cup of ketchup as a base and then add white sugar, white vinegar, a little mustard, lemon juice, granulated onion, granulated garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, hot sauce, and i cut up a couple jalapenos and let them simmer with the sauce. it kinda tastes like a BBQ salsa.

SDAR
09-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Try the two I posted the first one is very close to Rudy's sissy sauce.

I love Rudy's sauce. They killed me in Las Vegas last year when I used it at the WFC'S. Said it tasted like ketchup. Never noticed until then...but I smoke and my taste buds aren't what they used to be.

dsp2
09-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you for all the ideas! I am smoking a brisket on Sunday and am wondering, also.

Bludawg those sound good. I had Louie Mueller sauce a couple weeks ago while there.

My favorite was the sauce at John Mueller. It was magical. I saw a recipe claiming to approximate it when googling which I'll find in a sec. Anyone ever try that one?

dsp2
09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
This is the Mueller-like recipe I found. Maybe it was just the day I was there but I thought the one at John Mueller was much better than the one at Louie Mueller. Maybe was a fluke, though

http://homemadebbqsauce.org/mueller-bbq-sauce/

gtr
09-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Glad you brought up the John Mueller sauce. I'm not much of a sauce guy, but I was drinking that stuff like shots by the time I left his spot. Amazing stuff.

dsp2
09-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Glad you brought up the John Mueller sauce. I'm not much of a sauce guy, but I was drinking that stuff like shots by the time I left his spot. Amazing stuff.

The one I linked looks very similar to the Fred Fontaine one so maybe that is legit.

But yeah the John Mueller one was awesome. I was taking some forkfuls for a while after I was done. I've since read Daniel Vaughn's reviews of it and he says he drinks it like soup :)

Bludawg
09-02-2015, 07:21 PM
The one I linked looks very similar to the Fred Fontaine one so maybe that is legit.

But yeah the John Mueller one was awesome. I was taking some forkfuls for a while after I was done. I've since read Daniel Vaughn's reviews of it and he says he drinks it like soup :) Fred stated at Muellers after WWII and is the creator of that sauce. like all things BBQ JM just put a spin on it (addition of a Fat & Stock in lieu of bouillon).http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-wayne-mueller-of-louie-mueller-barbecue/

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-most-famous-pitmaster-youve-probably-never-heard-of/

jbounds286
09-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Cousin's is in the Dallas aiport in a couple terminals there. I've definitely done the quick grab n go. They have the sauce available there.

ya i saw they have locations in DFW now....apparently everything comes out of a commissary now.....back when i used to go on the reg as a kid it was 1 location...then a 2nd not that far away.

dsp2
09-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Fred stated at Muellers after WWII and is the creator of that sauce. like all things BBQ JM just put a spin on it (addition of a Fat & Stock in lieu of bouillon).http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-wayne-mueller-of-louie-mueller-barbecue/

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-most-famous-pitmaster-youve-probably-never-heard-of/

Thanks, man! I read a lot about central Texas q in prep for trip to Austin I had a couple weeks ago. Have read lots of Texas monthly and some of the LM history. Ate at LM one day, JM the next, then La Barbecue on the third day. So Q from each of the three grandkids :)

Will read these, and thank you again for the info!

Melissaredhead
09-02-2015, 09:30 PM
You may think I'm crazy but I love horseradish sauce on my brisket. It's not BBQ sauce but it's good!
So I guess no sauce. :yo:

I love the nose sting the horseradish gives sometimes :crazy:

Ag76
09-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Horseradish sauce is good on prime rib and on turkey too.