TexasRT
09-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Watching it also

IamMadMan
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Great job Neil.....

dwfisk
09-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey Neil, Phyllis is an absolute hoot! And that Roger dude is a pretty puny little dude:becky:

Yendor
09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Great job!! Personalities came across really well and now I'm hungry for some que.

Teleking
09-01-2015, 07:25 PM
KBB - really I expected better than soft wood and mineral coal from a legendary pit master.

SmokinJohn
09-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Nailed it!

silverfinger
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Now I need a cubun. Great segment!! Good to see Phyllis in this one! :thumb:

landarc
09-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Wish I had a t.v. will there be a link?

gtr
09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
KBB - really I expected better than soft wood and mineral coal from a legendary pit master.

How did the food taste to you?

Teleking
09-01-2015, 09:00 PM
How did the food taste to you?

Right back at you. How'd it taste. Would you ever EVER use soft wood and mineral coal to cook/smoke your food? I knew this was gonna be the response you can have my share.

For me, not my cup of tea for any briquettes. I expect better from a famous pit master to actually use all natural heating sources.

Sorry but this is the first MFF episode I've seen use anything but fire from wood.

All the power and cheers for LA BBQ. Glad too hear the success and well wishes on the new location and I'm 3,000 miles away.

Feel free to hate the hater but set the bar that high the pit maker smoker deserves better than KBB

Cheers

silverfinger
09-01-2015, 09:14 PM
As Aaron Franklin says, there's more than one way to skin a cow. And cook one.
Been eating Big Mistas Q for years. You might want to try it before you judge it.

SmittyJonz
09-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Right back at you. How'd it taste. Would you ever EVER use soft wood and mineral coal to cook/smoke your food? I knew this was gonna be the response you can have my share.

For me, not my cup of tea for any briquettes. I expect better from a famous pit master to actually use all natural heating sources.

Sorry but this is the first MFF episode I've seen use anything but fire from wood.

All the power and cheers for LA BBQ. Glad too hear the success and well wishes on the new location and I'm 3,000 miles away.

Feel free to hate the hater but set the bar that high the pit maker smoker deserves better than KBB

Cheers

:crazy:

SmittyJonz
09-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Replay at 11 pm tonite here

Q Junkie
09-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Was that a cry for help?:laugh:
But seriously you are better off without one.

gtr
09-01-2015, 10:12 PM

Cheers

I've actually eaten the food - many times, as have thousands of other people for many years. It's farking delicious and there's a reason people line up at the restaurant and people's choice comps for Bigmista's BBQ.

He's also an awesome dude and a friend to many here, myself included.

frognot
09-01-2015, 10:18 PM

http://watch.cookingchanneltv.com/ May be a few days from now.

DUBBAGA
09-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Great episode.

Neil and Phyllis are fantastic on camera. I love their banter - so engaging.

Bigmista's brisket is a thing of beauty. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting saliva off a flat panel tv?

x1jett
09-01-2015, 11:54 PM
I just saw the show. What a nice guy. He and his wife seem to have a good thing going with their business. I won't turn my Texas nose up at any technique that yields good que. One day I may have to break down and try the heretical act of pulling briskets off the smoker after 6 hours, and finishing them in an oven. The sleep thing sounds more and more appealing as the years keep adding up. Bigmista may be on to something.

creekwalker
09-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Great segment. Would like to see more guests contain the host of the show that adroitly.

Bigmista
09-02-2015, 01:57 AM
Somebody was saying something about KBB?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ba/d3/5e/bad35e3594a8b3a02653883bb609f669.jpg

Bigmista
09-02-2015, 01:59 AM
I'm glad most of you enjoyed the show. We had a ball doing it.

funstuie
09-02-2015, 02:05 AM
Not seen the episode yet but MFF has turned into an odd version of all the normal cooking shows.

The first season and into the second it was all about cooking with fire - he would go to odd places and meet odd people who cooked over fire in some form. I find Roger Mooking annoying (like an over enthusiastic child annoying) and the way he talks in every episode is like the audience have no idea what smoke or fire are. These days he visits way too many of the same restaurants. The food looks great (as I am sure this episode does) but more often than not he goes to some BBQ place in Texas and they cook the same food as every other place he goes to. It was kind of a niche little show which they have just turned into bland travel/cooking docushow.

Anyway I am not at all dissing on anyone involved just more the way a show which was enjoyable (if a little fluff) turned into cookie cutter cooking channel show.

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 05:06 AM
I'll have to catch it when it plays again. Great to see you getting the air time Neil, you and Phyllis deserve it :thumb:

IamMadMan
09-02-2015, 06:07 AM
I'm glad most of you enjoyed the show. We had a ball doing it.

We all enjoy seeing a Brethren and his wife not only succeed in business (we have all been following you) but to also be featured on a National / Worldwide TV program - Kudos

As Aaron Franklin says, there's more than one way to skin a cow. And cook one.
Been eating Big Mistas Q for years. You might want to try it before you judge it.

How true...

Cheers

I think the measure of the truth here is the length of lines waiting to get food from the pit. I guess when the haters get featured on TV then we can have something to compare their likes and dislikes with one another. As of now Neil is the one the producers have chosen to be featured on their show.

For those of us that have an endless supply of wood, most will prefer to use this resource. For those in metropolitan areas where no wood is available, charcoal becomes a great resource. Part of success is realizing your resources and utilizing them in an efficient manner. Neil has chosen his most efficient resource and utilizes it to the fullest potential. Most importantly it's not the cooker, it's not the fuel, it is the pitmaster that produces great food with the resources they have available.

Again, Great Job Neil..... Great show.... and glad that the two of you had a blast during the filming, that makes it more worthwhile. I remember when my close friend did a Throwdown with Bobby Flay... It was a great time with the crew and staff, and they actually filmed the Throwdown in two endings..... one as a loss and one as a win so that all of those who were in attendance as spectators would not know the outcome in advance.

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 06:17 AM
I think the measure of the truth here is the length of lines waiting to get food from the pit. I guess when the haters get featured on TV then we can have something to compare their likes and dislikes with one another. As of now Neil is the one the producers have chosen to be featured on their show.

For those of us that have an endless supply of wood, most will prefer to use this resource. For those in metropolitan areas where no wood is available, charcoal becomes a great resource. Part of success is realizing your resources and utilizing them in an efficient manner. Neil has chosen his most efficient resource and utilizes it to the fullest potential. Most importantly it's not the cooker, it's not the fuel, it is the pitmaster that produces great food with the resources they have available.

Again, Great Job Neil..... Great show.... and glad that the two of you had a blast during the filming, that makes it more worthwhile. I remember when my close friend did a Throwdown with Bobby Flay... It was a great time with the crew and staff, and they actually filmed the Throwdown in two endings..... one as a loss and one as a win so that all of those who were in attendance as spectators would not know the outcome in advance.

:thumb: Very well said. Thanks

dport7
09-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Never met ya, never seen the tv show, but from all the good responses and positive comments, You certainly have something going on.
I would love to try out your food.
Keep up the good work and best to ya!

SmittyJonz
09-02-2015, 07:51 AM
I thought they did a great job and the food looks great too

SmittyJonz
09-02-2015, 08:04 AM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/61F8AA98-A2F9-4F5E-9916-1B6E497331FE_zpsbjhxndck.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/61F8AA98-A2F9-4F5E-9916-1B6E497331FE_zpsbjhxndck.jpg.html)

dwfisk
09-02-2015, 09:19 AM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/61F8AA98-A2F9-4F5E-9916-1B6E497331FE_zpsbjhxndck.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/61F8AA98-A2F9-4F5E-9916-1B6E497331FE_zpsbjhxndck.jpg.html)

I have it on pretty good authority you get their lighter fluid in quantity too:becky:

gtr
09-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Silverfinger gave me the heads up on the re-broadcast last night - thanks man! Great episode! It's always great to see Neil and Phyllis in action.

Happy Hapgood
09-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Really enjoyed watching it. The food looked fantastic!

BBQdisciple
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for getting saliva off a flat panel tv?

You could try KBB and softwood :-D

BBQdisciple
09-02-2015, 10:42 AM

I watched the episode. am I wrong, i thought he said he was using almond wood. Almond is a hardwood. in fact, it is pretty common as a smoke wood in the west. I've used pecan and walnut, what is the beef with almond

or did i mishear Mista?

gtr
09-02-2015, 11:02 AM
I watched the episode. am I wrong, i thought he said he was using almond wood. Almond is a hardwood. in fact, it is pretty common as a smoke wood in the west. I've used pecan and walnut, what is the beef with almond

or did i mishear Mista?

I don't think you misheard. It was almond, which I'm guessing has been used as a cooking wood for centuries.

Bigmista
09-02-2015, 11:05 AM
You heard correctly. We use almond wood. A hardwood. Would never use a soft wood.

gtr
09-02-2015, 11:21 AM
^^^especially in the morning!

Pole D
09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm just hoping all this tv time will keep him from focusing on his fantasy football league!

silverfinger
09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
I think there is someone here that has not read the peer pressure thread. :whistle:

landarc
09-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Due to the large number of almond orchards out here, it is one of the most common fire woods available. It gives a nice aromatic smoke, mildish, certainly not hickory. Almond comes from the same family as cherry and plum wood.

SmokinJohn
09-02-2015, 01:37 PM
I have eaten the Q-Buns and a BAPOM. All I can say to anyone who would hate on BigMista's BBQ without tasting is:

nyah nyah yah yah yah.....HATER!

I've eaten Kreuz and Lockhart brisket, and I'll put Neil's up against theirs any day of the week. 'Nuff said.

funstuie
09-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I use Almond wood all the time. I like the smell from the smoke.

Almond trees are all over the place here so there is plenty of wood available.

Pyle's BBQ
09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Everyone should read the below post and see what an amazing story this really is. Eleven years ago Neil had never cooked a brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9995

Diesel Dave
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks Bryan, never read that one

gtr
09-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Everyone should read the below post and see what an amazing story this really is. Eleven years ago Neil had never cooked a brisket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9995

Great thread - just bumped it. Thanks for bringing that up!

Bigmista
09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Finally saw it. My wife is awesome!

silverfinger
09-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Finally saw it. My wife is awesome!

Yep, Phyllis was great!! :thumb:

You weren't so bad yourself big guy! :wink:

frognot
09-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Just got to watch this. Great job, Neil and Phyllis!

Bigmista
09-04-2015, 01:07 AM
Thanks!

DUBBAGA
02-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Playing again right now.

Damn Bigmista, now I want brisket (again...)

TBASS
02-15-2016, 07:24 PM
My wife and I really enjoyed the show. If I am ever out that way, will definitely stop by. Will have to try the cubun. Keep doing your thing.