PDA

View Full Version : What knives for use on steel griddle

Tricky
09-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Not really a Q question, but I know there are a lot of griddle cooks on here (Blackstone, Camp Chef, etc.).

I just bought a steel griddle for my 3-burner Camp Chef propane stove and my kids have challenged me to do teppanyaki for the family. I figure I've eaten enough of it to know what ingredients to cook, but as far as slicing the meat right on the steel griddle, do any of you griddle enthusiasts recommend any particular type of knife? I have my regular set of Henckels (which work fine for what I need in the kitchen) but am wondering if I need something special for regular use right on the steel griddle.

Of course, I might be getting the cart before the horse by talking about "regular use" when I haven't even attempted a single teppanyaki dinner yet :-D

Swine Spectator
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Cutting on steel = bad idea

None of your blades are going to handle that well.

PatAttack
09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
If you need knives for that job, I'd go with the cheap Dexter-Russells or the knoves you can get at Sam's Club.

I wouldn't be cutting on steel.

mikemci
09-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Any that you don't care for. When I got a new knife sharpening system, I went to a Goodwill store and picked up about 10 knives for $4 to practice on. You might check one out.

landarc
09-01-2015, 08:07 PM
At places like Benihana, they use cheap knives with soft stainless blades. The reason is that they do not want any scratching of the teppans. A carbon steel blade would also be a great solution. It is not good for the knife, of course, but, is all a part of the show.

Personally, I would cook the steak on the teppan, but, rest and serve it on a cutting board.

brimclau
09-01-2015, 09:09 PM
They also have those flat metal spatulas with a sharp edge on one side. Saw them at RD and thought they would work for that. Sure you can find them online as well. More for hacking than slicing I'm sure...

16Adams
09-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Try to find the original late 80's Chicago Cutlery with walnut handles. Whatever steel they used back then is hard enough to keep an edge and soft enough to re-edge with a steel. I've had mine since 1987. Still some of my favorite blades

buccaneer
09-01-2015, 11:29 PM
The knife you are looking for is called an Usuba.

HTH

Tricky
09-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Buccaneer, isn't that what the Benihana chef told Dwight Schrute? (apologies if you don't watch Yank TV) :grin: