PDA

View Full Version : Bark formation - trad. offset vs reverse flow

BoLiles
09-01-2015, 05:05 PM
My recent sell of my first and only briefly owned offset got me thinking about bark. I have cooked on water cookers, dry barrel mini UDSmokers and that old NB offset. And I want the Brethren's opinion about bark formation of traditional offsets (think Jambo and lower I guess) vs reverse flows (talk to me Shirley owners!) and heck even you UDS and PBC guys and gals. What are you finding in the way of bark formation?

Which forms heavier bark? Which forms it faster? Which forms it more evenly? What are the challenges and what are the advantages? Color differences? The questions could be endless.

I am super curious to hear let's say Shirley vs the equivalent tradition offset...

I ask all this because I am trying to increase my knowledge base for brisket, ribs and of course my go-to pulled pork (funny that I'm in TX too)...all this in hopes when I get an offset back on my porch I will be a better cook for it.

BARK! Go! :clap:

BBQ Freak
09-01-2015, 05:18 PM
I have a Shirley Fabrication , Brinkmann offset and had a Stump's and I have always gotten the same amount of bark off each cooker . I was always taught it is the chemical reactions of the rub and smoke is what creates your bark .

ButtBurner
09-01-2015, 05:25 PM
I have a Shirley Fabrication , Brinkmann offset and had a Stump's and I have always gotten the same amount of bark off each cooker . I was always taught it is the chemical reactions of the rub and smoke is what creates your bark .

I agree

My Shirley and my old OK Joe offset were the same as far as I could tell

jbounds286
09-01-2015, 05:35 PM
i cant imagine rf vs trad flow would be any diff...its still moving the same way across the cook chamber where the meat is

BoLiles
09-01-2015, 05:40 PM
i cant imagine rf vs trad flow would be any diff...its still moving the same way across the cook chamber where the meat is

Well I was reading Franklin's book and he had an opinion about the way he likes the smoke to move over and across his meat (primarily briskets) in a cooker. I thought that was interesting and was wondering if there is a difference in how these cookers move air/smoke across cuts - as well if there any humidity difference? What about the sizzle effect of reverse flow cookers...what does that affect?

So many questions and curiosities!:doh:

pjtexas1
09-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Only cooker I ever noticed an issue with bark was my insulated cabinet. Took just a little longer and the bottom didn't get much bark at all. Had a couple regular offsets and the Shirley is right in line with those.

jbounds286
09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Well I was reading Franklin's book and he had an opinion about the way he likes the smoke to move over and across his meat (primarily briskets) in a cooker. I thought that was interesting and was wondering if there is a difference in how these cookers move air/smoke across cuts - as well if there any humidity difference? What about the sizzle effect of reverse flow cookers...what does that affect?

So many questions and curiosities!:doh:

i would assume the sizzle effect would be no different...there is still a bottom of the trad flow that will get just as hot creating a sizzle effect from the drippings

Swine Spectator
09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I think you're thinking too much. Just cook it!