PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Weight vs. Total Yield

MS2SB
09-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Anyone have a good estimate on hanging weight of a cow vs. actual yield? I ask because we're going in with a 3 other families on a cow and the farmer just presented us with the following option. 1/2 large cow or full small cow.

Half large will be about 450 lbs hanging
Full Small will be about 700 lbs hanging

Trying to figure out what the actual take home will be.

Fwismoker
09-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Check this out...might help

http://www.askthemeatman.com/yield_on_beef_carcass.htm

MS2SB
09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks, that is great info...

And a terrible looking website.

Teleking
09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
expect a LOT of burger.

MS2SB
09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
expect a LOT of burger.

We've requested that they limit the amount of ground meat as much as possible.

Teleking
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
We've requested that they limit the amount of ground meat as much as possible.

Can't be helped (much). Unless you get a lot of soup bones and stew meat. Either way there will still be an abundance of trimmings that can really only be ground up. If they don't vacuum seal find someone else that does.

I get a side every two years. I always request whole brisket, flank, skirt, and hanger steaks. You can usually score extra offal as most people don't want it.

MS2SB
09-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Can't be helped (much). Unless you get a lot of soup bones and stew meat. Either way there will still be an abundance of trimmings that can really only be ground up. If they don't vacuum seal find someone else that does.

I get a side every two years. I always request whole brisket, flank, skirt, and hanger steaks. You can usually score extra offal as most people don't want it.

That makes sense re: the ground beef. We requested the same cuts you listed above, and asked for the offal and bones as everyone's got dogs to keep happy.

Do you know what the standard aging time is post slaughter?

Bludawg
09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
My processor typically hangs it for 7 days if he has the space but it could be 3-5 days if not

SmokinJohn
09-01-2015, 03:48 PM
A coworker of mine sold us some of his pigs one year.

We got a LOT of sausage.

We got some good cuts of meat, but.....

We got a LOT of sausage.

Be prepared.

LifeLongWNYer
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Lots of burger and sausage, huh? Butchers are all the same.

That is why the guys I hunt with always cut our own venison.

JBP

Teleking
09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Lots of burger and sausage, huh? Butchers are all the same.

That is why the guys I hunt with always cut our own venison.

JBP

Alway cut my own game, just not set up for large critters. Got a moose tag to fill at the end of the month and will not be processing that at home.

spider22
09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
expect a LOT of burger.
Yes there will be a lot of burger. The last time I bought beef like that I had a lot of bacon wrapped meatloaf on the smoker.