PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Paper

KingRanch450
09-01-2015, 07:26 AM
For those of you that use butcher paper to wrap your briskets...what size do yall buy, where do you buy it and do you use a butcher paper dispenser? Thank u brethren!

93vpmod
09-01-2015, 07:32 AM
I ordered mine from POSpaper.com and have been pleased with the 30" roll. The wider paper is handy for brisket and large butts, no need to parse two smaller sheets together...

I did get the stainless dispenser and I keep it at the top of my BBQ closet out of the way, yet easy to access.

ugaalf
09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
I bought a roll of pink/peach Butcher paper on Amazon. 18" X 150" and use scissors to cut for size

arclite
09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
24" X 800 FDA approved, food grade in white. $25 off amazon.

I use it wrapping some other non-brisket stuff, and have cut down my foil usage considerably, so just for the economics it's worth it.

And the kids get to draw on it.

daninnewjersey
09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
I think mine is 24"....go for the bigger one since it's very handy with bigger cuts like brisket, etc....Sam's sells it and I haggled my butcher for one of those professional dispensers they use. Cost me a couple of racks of spares and was well worth it.....

ButtBurner
09-01-2015, 08:15 AM
I think mine is 18"

I fold it like a V so I can make it as wide as I want.

I use it for all kinds of stuff, like covering my prep areas for easy cleanup

I just stand it on the table, and pull it from the end sitting on the table, rips real evenly off the roll

darkoozy
09-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I ordered mine from POSpaper.com and have been pleased with the 30" roll. The wider paper is handy for brisket and large butts, no need to parse two smaller sheets together...

I did get the stainless dispenser and I keep it at the top of my BBQ closet out of the way, yet easy to access.

^^^^This...for briskets highly recommend atleast 24" wide, and the dispenser as the roll is heavy and makes life easy!

Smokesignalsfromtx
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
30" from amazon. I have the dispenser too. Works great.

Rick757BBQ
09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
all I know is that a whole roll is heavy. I need to keep scissors near it. I end up tearing it more often.

CakeM1x
09-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Anyone got a link to amazon for a good deal on a 24" roll? Been putting off buying one of these.

Also, semi related. I have a big 24" saran wrap like this (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/aep-30550000-24-x-2000-standard-film-with-serrated-cutter/18224X2.html)
I hate the serrated blade and want the zipcutter like this (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/aep-30510000-24-x-2000-heavy-duty-film-with-zipsafe-slide-cutter/18224X2HD.html) but can't find it anywhere. Can this be bought separately or do I just have to buy another roll with the cutter?

PatAttack
09-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Anyone got a link to amazon for a good deal on a 24" roll? Been putting off buying one of these.

Also, semi related. I have a big 24" saran wrap like this (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/aep-30550000-24-x-2000-standard-film-with-serrated-cutter/18224X2.html)
I hate the serrated blade and want the zipcutter like this (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/aep-30510000-24-x-2000-heavy-duty-film-with-zipsafe-slide-cutter/18224X2HD.html) but can't find it anywhere. Can this be bought separately or do I just have to buy another roll with the cutter?

Amazon.com: Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 18" X 150' in Durable Carry Tube: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pmHkIE13L.@@AMEPARAM@@51pmHkIE13L

They have it in wider rolls, too.

CabinFever
09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
I have a roll of 24" wide and really long, like 800' or so. Got it at Sam's. I just stand it on end and tear off what I need. Works really well, tears clean and straight. I use it for briskets, but even more for easy clean up. Stainless steel counter outside in grill area, couple of layers of paper done for meat prep or to drop that messy brisket on when done cooking.

shnmclr
09-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I got a roll of 18" x 150' white paper for Gordon Food Service. It was $20 for the roll. I just use a razor blade or scissors to cut it. I typically use two pieces staggered based upon the size of the meat when I wrap my brisket.

ButtBurner
09-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I got a roll of 18" x 150' white paper for Gordon Food Service. It was $20 for the roll. I just use a razor blade or scissors to cut it. I typically use two pieces staggered based upon the size of the meat when I wrap my brisket.

its gotta be longer than 150ft. that's the same roll I have from GFS

try folding it in a V instead of staggering it

it is much easier to handle that way and works great

I also give it a light with water first so it wraps tighter

Q Junkie
09-01-2015, 10:26 AM
its gotta be longer than 150ft. that's the same roll I have from GFS

try folding it in a V instead of staggering it

it is much easier to handle that way and works great

I also give it a light with water first so it wraps tighter

Could you elaborate on this V folding concept? It's early here.

ButtBurner
09-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Take a long piece of paper the length of both legs of the V you want to create

Fold the paper in half, but instead of folding it straight over itself skew it so it forms a V

then place your meat (brisket for this example) along the bottom part of the V and start rolling it towards the top of the V, after a few rolls of the paper, fold the edges in to cover the brisket and then finish wrapping it as you reach the top of the V

best way I can explain it

Q Junkie
09-01-2015, 10:43 AM
I have the 18" for now because that is what was available at the time but will get at least the 24" next time. I also made a dispenser out of a couple pieces of 1x6 composite wood planks left over from my balcony deck and some 3/4" PVC pipe. Used a hole saw to cut holes in the two side pieces, making sure it was a tight fit for the PVC to pass trough but maintain a firm grip. Also added a riser pipe for my light to clamp onto. That is it, the sides keep everything together and upright and will be able to adjust later for a larger roll. :clap2:

ButtBurner
09-01-2015, 03:42 PM
nice idea

I like the lamp too

lantern
09-01-2015, 06:16 PM
I like 24" and 30". I do not like anything under 24. I like to wrap FAST and when fooling around with anything less than 24 it can get slower than I like. This is all my opinion based off my experiences of course. YMMV

Randall Lee
09-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Would Parchment paper work, easier to find?

ijohnston
09-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I have never used butcher paper but have been wanting to try it. What are the differences in results? The only thing I like about using foil is getting all the juices when i pull it from the smoker. I use the juice as a dipping sauce or to put in my homemade bbq sauce.

What I do not get is the crispy bark.

Do you still get the collection of juice when wrapping in butcher paper?

What is the major difference in the finished product?

darkoozy
09-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I have never used butcher paper but have been wanting to try it. What are the differences in results? The only thing I like about using foil is getting all the juices when i pull it from the smoker. I use the juice as a dipping sauce or to put in my homemade bbq sauce.

What I do not get is the crispy bark.

Do you still get the collection of juice when wrapping in butcher paper?

What is the major difference in the finished product?

You wont get the juices using butcher paper. Foil will braise the brisket, while paper will bake the brisket, and allow it to breath. It will provide you with better bark, and not make it soft/mushy as foil would do.

Keep in mind briskets dont cook as fast in paper as they do in foil. Still cook faster than running naked.

alecksjaycubs
09-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Dang... I need a BBQ closet!

LaydBack
09-05-2015, 02:23 PM
A lot of what I am seeing on amazon does not appear to be the one side shiny food grade paper. Is this of concern to any of you that are using it? I'm assuming that those that are using it are putting the shiny side to the meat?

Doog
09-05-2015, 07:20 PM
A lot of what I am seeing on amazon does not appear to be the one side shiny food grade paper. Is this of concern to any of you that are using it? I'm assuming that those that are using it are putting the shiny side to the meat?
They are using just plain paper. Not paper with the backing on it.