PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the greatest sandwich concept ever!

smoke ninja
08-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Now that i have the blackstone griddle ive been playing with grilled subs. Here in Detroit Tubby Grilled Submarines has been turning out some fabulous grilled sandwiches for over forty years. These things kick Subway in the face IMO. In fact as a teenager my mothers first job was at a tubbys.

Once a week ive been doning my paper hat and making my own grilled sub creations and i think i have came up with a keeper.......

Brisket philly cheese steak.

Griddled grilled peppers and onions in butter
some chopped smoked brisket
A little cheesewhiz
Toast the bun
Pile on the brisket
A slice of cheese
A layer of veggies

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20150831_211122-1_zpsywsrpsbn.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20150831_211122-1_zpsywsrpsbn.jpg.html)

Everything good about smoked brisket came through but in cheese steak form. The brisket gets this little crust from the griddle that is just amazing.

Fwismoker
08-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Dadgum that looks tasty Steve! I've been eating leftover chuckie concoctions this week...chuckie would be fantastic it that also.

Smoke Dawg
08-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Looks good Ninja!

Al Czervik
08-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Count me in Ninja... :hungry:

jermoQ
08-31-2015, 10:31 PM
You wrote cheesewhiz and I am sure you meant provelone right? :wink:

jbounds286
08-31-2015, 10:32 PM
wow....and here i thought nothing good could possibly come out of Detroit! you proved me wrong sir!

smoke ninja
08-31-2015, 10:43 PM
You wrote cheesewhiz and I am sure you meant provelone right? :wink:

This one had both!

Last time i made cheesesteaks Becky wanted wiz... i went provolone...the saltiness of the whiz really adds something. I tried it and was kinda sold but am afraid to admit it.

krex1010
08-31-2015, 10:46 PM
That sandwich looks delicious.....but as someone who grew up and lives in Phillys shadow, I always found it funny that all around the country "philly cheese steaks" come with grilled bell peppers, but at most of the legit shops in philly, grilled bell peppers aren't even an option. Long hots usually are available but most Philadelphians use those on what is actually Phillys favorite sandwich, which is roast pork. All that being said, that brisket sandwich wouldn't last 30 seconds on my plate! Nicely done.

krex1010
08-31-2015, 10:54 PM
This one had both!

Last time i made cheesesteaks Becky wanted wiz... i went provolone...the saltiness of the whiz really adds something. I tried it and was kinda sold but am afraid to admit it.

Whiz definitely adds a filthy deliciousness that everyone secretly loves but doesn't want to admit lol. Mmmmmm a good Italian roll, thin sliced ribeye, whiz wit onions......I'm hungry

jermoQ
08-31-2015, 10:57 PM
This one had both!

Last time i made cheesesteaks Becky wanted wiz... i went provolone...the saltinessfactors i of the whiz really adds something. I tried it and was kinda sold but am afraid to admit it.

Man, living on the edge. I only ridicule because I haven't had cheesewhiz on anything since my moms celery 20 years ago. I have seen the shows where provel and whiz are the conflicting factors on good and bad sammies. I also grew up in mid Missouri with a restaurant owned by people from Philidelphia who always had provelone on their cheesesteaks. I will have to go get a can of whiz to see if I break out any heartwarming child hood memories...

On second thought, I hated celery. Well, maybe I will break it out and make some cheese steaks and see for sure. I will have to try a "ninja special" to see how it works combined!

smoke ninja
08-31-2015, 10:58 PM
That sandwich looks delicious.....but as someone who grew up and lives in Phillys shadow, I always found it funny that all around the country "philly cheese steaks" come with grilled bell peppers, but at most of the legit shops in philly, grilled bell peppers aren't even an option. Long hots usually are available but most Philadelphians use those on what is actually Phillys favorite sandwich, which is roast pork. All that being said, that brisket sandwich wouldn't last 30 seconds on my plate! Nicely done.

Looks like ill have to make a real one tomorrow as punishment. Only onions.

jermoQ
08-31-2015, 11:03 PM
That sandwich looks delicious.....but as someone who grew up and lives in Phillys shadow, I always found it funny that all around the country "philly cheese steaks" come with grilled bell peppers, but at most of the legit shops in philly, grilled bell peppers aren't even an option

The people who run the Philly sandwich shop in my hometown in central Missouri don't even offer bell peppers to appease the locals who probably always expected to have a cheesesteak with bells. I like them, but prefer the real deal better.

Aw man, I think I just drooled on myself thinking about it. :oops:

TuscaloosaQ
08-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Looks amazing... I could take a bite out of this computer screen!!!!

silverfinger
08-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Looks amazing! I might have to pull out my mini griddle and frozen brisket to give this a try! What type of peppers did you use? Or does it matter?

smoke ninja
08-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Looks amazing! I might have to pull out my mini griddle and frozen brisket to give this a try! What type of peppers did you use? Or does it matter?

Dont matter... just some bell peppers.... never new philly cheese steaks didn't have peppers so it really dont matter as thats concerned...round here "grilled steak subs" have pepperers, onioons, and even mushrooms or picked banana peppers...guess its a Detroit thing...

Mr.OiSat
08-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Great sandwich, the pic made me hungry.

krex1010
09-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Looks like ill have to make a real one tomorrow as punishment. Only onions.

Yes, your penance is to eat a big fat whiz wit and a cold, frosty beverage!

krex1010
09-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Man, living on the edge. I only ridicule because I haven't had cheesewhiz on anything since my moms celery 20 years ago. I have seen the shows where provel and whiz are the conflicting factors on good and bad sammies. I also grew up in mid Missouri with a restaurant owned by people from Philidelphia who always had provelone on their cheesesteaks. I will have to go get a can of whiz to see if I break out any heartwarming child hood memories...

On second thought, I hated celery. Well, maybe I will break it out and make some cheese steaks and see for sure. I will have to try a "ninja special" to see how it works combined!

Provolone is very popular in Philly too, lots of Italians in south Philly lol and to be honest, a cheese steak is probably the only thing I'd ever even consider eating cheese whiz on lol

buccaneer
09-01-2015, 12:43 AM
Fan tastic Steve, I would scarf that down and beg for another!!

:clap2:

cheez59
09-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Dont matter... just some bell peppers.... never new philly cheese steaks didn't have peppers so it really dont matter as thats concerned...round here "grilled steak subs" have pepperers, onioons, and even mushrooms or picked banana peppers...guess its a Detroit thing...

Not a Detroit thing at all. It is a taste good thing and we have been doing the pepper, onion and mushroom thing with ours for years. We just call them pepper steak sammies. We just never did them with smoked brisket. I do think that would put ours over the top. Thanks for the great idea!

Titch
09-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Feast in a bun

Decoy205
09-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Awesome cheese brisky sub!!! I made one with left over prime rib once it was good. I bet the smoke really adds something.

SmokinIllini
09-01-2015, 05:55 AM
Just figured out what to do with that leftover brisket in the fridge. Thanks for the great idea!

Free Mr. Tony
09-01-2015, 06:00 AM

Steak subs here are the same. I'm a big fan of the mushrooms and banana peppers myself. One place even coats the bread in garlic butter before melting the cheese. Garlic bread steak sandwich. Nothing wrong with that.

Diesel Dave
09-01-2015, 06:03 AM
:hungry:

LMAJ
09-01-2015, 08:48 AM
My cheese steak order is always fried onions and mushrooms, mayo, ketchup, and provolone. Bell peppers aren't on the menu around here, BUT pickled hot and sweet peppers are.
Your sammie looks great.

PaSmoker
09-01-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm Philly born and raised...APPROVED!...:thumb:...

daninnewjersey
09-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Whiz definitely adds a filthy deliciousness that everyone secretly loves but doesn't want to admit lol. Mmmmmm a good Italian roll, thin sliced ribeye, whiz wit onions......I'm hungry

Nothing better than standing in line at Pat's at 04:00...full of alcohol....waiting to destroy a whiz wit.......

retired trucker
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Just figured out what to do with that leftover brisket in the fridge. Thanks for the great idea!

What is this "leftover brisket" you speak of?? Ain't gonna happen around our house. You would be lucky to get "thirds" around here. "Seconds are a given though.

Any way, great looking sammie there Ninja.

Omar

deepsouth
09-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Brisket Philly Cheesesteak has seemed to be my main goto for brisket leftovers.

ebijack
09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Dang it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your really pushing me to get a blackstone :x
That samich looks GREAT!
Next time your smoking anything, throw on as many peppers as you can. Slice up and freeze. I used smoked peppers all the time in a lot of my stuff including my mustard.

krex1010
09-01-2015, 11:13 AM
I have a hunk of smoked beef clod left from this past weekend, think I may have to slice that up and try this sandwich out.

mcyork28
09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I would happily pay for that.

Bonewagon
09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Terrific sammie ninja! :thumb:

rreidiii
09-01-2015, 11:48 AM
I'll take two wit...to go please!

jakel
09-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Great looking steak sub I'd be tempted to have one or three of them yum yum.:grin:
I might have to get me a griddle one of these days...... just need to convince SWMBO.:rolleyes:

SPRfree
09-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Man I could hit that two or three times.

landarc
09-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Nice sandwich!

pjtexas1
09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Brisket Philly Cheesesteak has seemed to be my main goto for brisket leftovers.

same here. add/delete a few things and it is a different sandwich. haven't made a bad one yet.

Wickedcajun
09-01-2015, 04:43 PM
That HAS to be great!!!

LMAJ
09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks to you, I HAD to make a cheese steak for dinner...

iBBQ
09-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Looks great! Smoked meat makes everything better. Cheese steaks with wiz are awesome. Just don't put mayo and lettuce on it and call it a cheese steak or you will offend the Philadelphians. If you put that stuff on it, then it is a steak sandwich. Philly people are quite picky about their cheese steaks and the believed rules, including me.

gengle
09-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Nothing better than standing in line at Pat's at 04:00...full of alcohol....waiting to destroy a whiz wit.......

I'm across the street at Geno's! :-D

MisterChrister
09-01-2015, 09:42 PM
I think I just bit my face tryna get at that.....

BigLakeSmoker
09-01-2015, 09:48 PM
When I make'em for the family, I cook onions and bell peppers until they are soft. We put that on with some Provolone and stuff ourselves. Great idea with the brisket, if I ever have leftover brisket, I'll try it.

creekwalker
09-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Not a Detroit thing at all. It is a taste good thing and we have been doing the pepper, onion and mushroom thing with ours for years. We just call them pepper steak sammies. We just never did them with smoked brisket. I do think that would put ours over the top. Thanks for the great idea!

Ditto, I find this a surprisingly peculiar, and delicious tasting, combination. Most Italian joints in Durham called it "special steak." Look forward to trying it with sliced smoked beef.

smoke ninja
09-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Looks great! Smoked meat makes everything better. Cheese steaks with wiz are awesome. Just don't put mayo and lettuce on it and call it a cheese steak or you will offend the Philadelphians. If you put that stuff on it, then it is a steak sandwich. Philly people are quite picky about their cheese steaks and the believed rules, including me.

Ha, Tubbys puts the lettuce and stuff on top of their steak and cheese but they dont call it a cheesesteak though. Definitely a big difference once you add a salad on top. I never knew they were traditionally only onions.

Grilled subs aren't limited to bbq meat. Ill make up a sandwich out of any leftovers. Roasts,steaks, pulled pork, rib tips, leftover chicken, tuna fish, whatever. I dont really see why one would even make a sandwich and not grill it.

The brisket flat really shines though. The fat from the cap melts throughout making moist and the griddle puts just enough crust on it to boost the flavor. Id say i prefer brisket flat chopped and griddled to sliced.

cayenne
09-02-2015, 08:28 AM

Not familiar with the term "Long Hots"....what is that, or was that a typo?

Thanks!!

cayenne

Fwismoker
09-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I think i'll need a sandwich Sunday afternoon! ;)

PaSmoker
09-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Not familiar with the term "Long Hots"....what is that, or was that a typo?

Thanks!!

cayenne

LONG iTALIAN HOT PEPPERS, USUALLY SAUTEED IN OLIVE OIL...

thickstrings
09-03-2015, 05:09 AM
That is lookin good! I would put a foil covered brick on top of it and back on the griddle...ala Panini...

Diesel Dave
09-03-2015, 05:24 AM
Id say i prefer brisket flat chopped and griddled to sliced.

We'll see what you think Sunday afternoon :heh:

krex1010
09-03-2015, 06:33 AM
LONG iTALIAN HOT PEPPERS, USUALLY SAUTEED IN OLIVE OIL...

And they are goooooooood.