PDA

View Full Version : 22.5" WSM mod...Coal Ring

Roguejim
08-31-2015, 07:12 PM
I've seen where some WSM owners build an expanded metal coal ring for their units. Why? What is wrong with the factory piece?

Can you tell me what the height and diameter should be for an expanded metal coal ring that will fit the 22.5" WSM? Thanks.

Joe Black
08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
When I had a 22 WSM, I used a ring from an 18 when I was doing a smaller cook. It kept the coal more together. I don't know anything about a larger ring. I haven't had my WSM in a while and am not up to date on current mods.

grantw
08-31-2015, 10:28 PM
That coal ring is big in the first place, I'm not sure it needs to be larger, guys run them smaller to help limit, controll the fire.

Roguejim
08-31-2015, 11:11 PM
That coal ring is big in the first place, I'm not sure it needs to be larger, guys run them smaller to help limit, controll the fire.

Oh! I didn't know that. I see Cajun Bandit sells a coal ring for a WSM, so I just assumed it was bigger. It somehow helps prevent the ashes from clogging the lower air vents. Not sure how...

cheez59
09-01-2015, 02:47 AM
I think part of the reason for the expanded metal ring is that it is welded to the charcoal grate. It makes one unit that is easy to shake the ashes out. I bought my 18 used and it had the expanded metal ring welded to the grate. It is 10 times easier to clean out that either of my other WSM's. When I find the round tuit I will do my 22.5 and the 14.5 this way.

Roguejim
09-01-2015, 03:44 AM
I think part of the reason for the expanded metal ring is that it is welded to the charcoal grate. It makes one unit that is easy to shake the ashes out. I bought my 18 used and it had the expanded metal ring welded to the grate. It is 10 times easier to clean out that either of my other WSM's. When I find the round tuit I will do my 22.5 and the 14.5 this way.

I thought these rings, normally, just sit on top of the grate? It seems you'd be stuck with whatever size ring you have if it was welded down to the grate.

cheez59
09-01-2015, 05:47 AM
I thought these rings, normally, just sit on top of the grate? It seems you'd be stuck with whatever size ring you have if it was welded down to the grate.
The factory rings do just sit on top of the grate. I and many others think this can be improved on. You can see the many ways that folks attach their rings to the grate if you Google it. The rings on all three WSM's are plenty big enough for me. I don't worry about using less charcoal so I have no need for a smaller ring in my 18 and 22. I fill them up rounded full no matter what I'm cooking. When I'm done I shut them down and re use the fuel on the next cook. Welded rings just make ash cleanup much easier. Some guys just use stainless steel zip ties or u bolts instead of welding.

hachi-roku_fan
09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
The cajun bandit ring is intended to prevent ash from jamming your air vents. I can't see the difference between the two, but I've only had my WSM for 2 weeks and used it once so far so I'm not too familiar with it. I don't think it expands the coal capacity

...Dave
09-01-2015, 10:06 AM
i just push the unused coals away from the middle and pick it up from the center so it stays balanced, then give it a couple bounces and shakes to drop the ash, then sit it off to the side to dump the ash, then i take this round toilet brush looking thing i got to remove any build-up and dump again, then sit the grate and ring back in and refill, bing bang boom and its ready to go.

mwmac
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
I use lump/Minion exclusively in my WSM 18.5" and Cajun Bandit 22.5" conversion and have found that the smaller diameter charcoal ring from the 18.5 WSM yielded more complete combustion of the fuel load with less poking. As a result, I made a charcoal ring from expanded metal that duplicates the dimensions of the Weber 18.5" original and attached it to the charcoal grate with hog rings. Works well for me, ymmv.

Roguejim
09-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock Weber coal ring for the 22.5" WSM? I'd like to make one for my 22.5" kettle.

...Dave
09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
17.5 x 5

grantw
09-01-2015, 07:51 PM
There are far more holes in the Cajun bandit ring, I just looked at it wether or not it bigger doesn't say.

Low n Slow
09-01-2015, 07:55 PM
I have the cajun bandit upgrade and it does perform better. Nothing you couldn't live without but it does burn a little better IMHO. To each his own might try attaching mine too sounds like a good idea.