PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Smoker

brandonh1987
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Anybody know what smoker franklin is using in this video on jimmy kimmel?

Aaron Franklin Makes Brisket on Hollywood Blvd. - YouTube

Hog1990
08-31-2015, 01:25 PM
http://www.firecraft.com/product/horizon-20in-rd-special-marshal-smoker/traditional-smokers?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CI6F1Zb608cCFQiNaQodicoC2w

jread23
08-31-2015, 01:27 PM
I think it's a horizon.

brandonh1987
08-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Ya I thought it was a horizon, was just checking. Thanks.

So I'm kind of debating between a horizon or a lang. I've went through a few starter smokers so far, mainly pellet. I had a traeger, and upgraded to a yoder and so far my main complaint is the bottom of whatever I am cooking gets way to hot, the heat diffusor doesn't work very well. For instance, i'll cook ribs at 250 and the bottom always gets pretty crispy.

Does the reverse flow from a lang 36 patio help that? Or would a horizon be better so the heat is coming directly up and not getting the diffusor hot from the reverse flow of the lang?

Thanks

wmarkw
08-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Kind of an awkward TV segment there to be honest.

toddcc1
08-31-2015, 03:17 PM
I haven't cooked on a Lang or Horizon, but did migrate from a MAK pellet to a Good One Marshall. Love everything about. Super stable, literally doesn't fluctuate but a degree or two. It's massive, tons of cooking space.

Teleking
08-31-2015, 05:46 PM

So I'm kind of debating between a horizon or a lang. I've went through a few starter smokers so far, mainly pellet. I had a traeger, and upgraded to a yoder and so far my main complaint is the bottom of whatever I am cooking gets way to hot, the heat diffusor doesn't work very well. For instance, i'll cook ribs at 250 and the bottom always gets pretty crispy.

Huh! The earths Gravity is so strong it prevents turning and rearranging food during a cook?

Very interesting.

Rusty Kettle
08-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Check out a kamado grill. I don't turn my food ever on the kamado. Fuel efficiency can't be beat. It's simply the best cooker for me. A pellet grill is not as set it and forget it as I would like. It just isn't what I expected.

A stick burner while nice is just not something that fits my life. If you don't like turning food I don't think you will like a stick burner. They are much more labor intensive. Not that they are bad just more work.

I like that I can be grilling during the week and smoke low and slow on the weekend with the same cooker and bake. I can do so much and the versatility can not be beat. It's a great cooker. The closest I think you can get to an all in one unit.

For me it just fits my life so well and I can do everything I want. Cleanup is a breeze just a grill brush and a high heat burn out and it's clean. A little ash sweep up with an ash rake and a little shovel to catch it. Stir up the coals to get ash out after cooking when it's cool and then add more charcoal and off you go cooking again.

viking72
09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
I use both a RF stick burner and offsets with convection plates, the RF is preferred for most cooks. Both types can produce fine Q. Later, Doug

Gulfbeachman
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Does the reverse flow from a lang 36 patio help that? Or would a horizon be better so the heat is coming directly up and not getting the diffusor hot from the reverse flow of the lang?

Thanks

I've had my Lang 36 Hybrid RF for a month. I've smoked ribs on the bottom rack and find that they are moist and tender, partly do to the griddle affect.

Prior to the Lang, I cooked on Char-grillers and small custom offsets for 30 years. I went with RF because the meat is protected somewhat from the flames from the fire box entering the grill. I learned and cooked a lot of great meals on Char-grills. However, I decided to upgrade this time.

Consider that for $300 more you can add the Char-grill and get the large front faced shelf. If you'd like more info on my order experience with Lang just ask. Note that there is a $2K price jump going from the 36 to 48 Hybrid, making the 36 a great deal, in my opinion.

The Lang is easy to clean and looks better than my truck.