PDA

View Full Version : Brining/injecting Whole Pig

gtr
08-31-2015, 01:00 PM
I've cooked several whole pigs (racer style in an offset) and really enjoy it. I'm cooking another one this coming Sat. night/Sunday and I'm thinking about trying a little something different like brining or injecting. Looks like I'll be getting an approx. 65# critter - that's pretty close to the largest I can fit in my offset.

Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts on this subject from those who've done it and/or eaten it. Does it help? Brining or injecting - one better than the other? Recipes?

Thanks!

PatAttack
08-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Inject that piggy and blow her up good.

I usually use apple juice, ACV, kosher salt, fine black pepper OR a fine ground rub of your choice.

gtr
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
How far in advance do you do that?

churrodog
08-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Because his videos are fun...

http://video.klru.tv/video/2365503928/

gtr
08-31-2015, 01:58 PM
^^^agreed. I've been planning on re-watching that. Great stuff!

toymaster
08-31-2015, 02:04 PM
I have injected mine at least 24 hours in advance. It does make a difference in that taste. Never tried brining. This is what I inject my hogs with...

64 ounces Apple Juice
1/2 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Corn Syrup
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

usually need to double or triple this depending on the size of the hog

Trailer Trash
08-31-2015, 02:07 PM
gtr, I have never done a pig without an injection so I guess I couldn't give a comparison however it seems consistent that all instruction that I have found informs on injections. I inject a very simple 50/50 mixture of Red Apple Vinegar and Apple Juice. My last 85 Lbs'r took about 2 quarts but they say a gallon. I can't imagine where there got all that into. I did it the night before the cook (about 12 hours). I rubbed it inside and out with oil and salted. I also skewered in some aluminum foil inside along the length of the loins to protect them from during out.

I am sure brining would help but that would be quite a challenge due to the size of the pig, the needed container and amount of brine needed. I can say that my pigs have always turned out nice, tender and moist so I've never felt they NEEDED to be brined. That said, brining really does work on pork.

Good luck to you and please post pics!

PatAttack
08-31-2015, 02:15 PM
How far in advance do you do that?

Usually about 12 hours ahead of time, G..

Also, I'll coat his or her skin with peanut oil, then hit it liberally with salt.

toymaster
08-31-2015, 02:32 PM
I've seen other people brine a whole hog in the very large 150 to 160 quart coolers and once in a kiddie pool.

gtr
08-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Y'all hitting it through the skin or coming at it from the inside?

Loving these answers btw - thanks for the responses!

toymaster
08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Y'all hitting it through the skin or coming at it from the inside?

I always inject from the inside

MS2SB
08-31-2015, 02:53 PM
The only whole hog I've done was in a la caja china. I injected it the day before with a mixture of chicken stock, acv, wooster and salt and sugar and it turned out great.

PatAttack
08-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Inject from the inside, oil and salt the outside.

PatAttack
08-31-2015, 03:18 PM
G., you can also use Chris Lilly's injection and cut the salt a bit.

gtr
08-31-2015, 03:32 PM
^^^that's what I'm thinking. I've done butts replacing the apple juice with peach juice and salt cut in half with great results.

so you're coming out to help us eat this thing, right?

PatAttack
08-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Save me some cheek meat!!!:becky:

Trailer Trash
08-31-2015, 03:41 PM
^^^that's what I'm thinking. I've done butts replacing the apple juice with peach juice and salt cut in half with great results.

so you're coming out to help us eat this thing, right?

^^^^^ That sounds very good. it really depends on How much you want to affect the taste of pure pork. I think apple juice enhances pork but doesn't stand out dramatically. I have done the Caja China thing a couple times and liked the Cuban, Sour Orange/Cilantro influence but it's a completely different hog cook in my opinion.