PDA

View Full Version : Butt question

ugaalf
08-31-2015, 06:27 AM
Smoked one this weekend and it turned out excellent. However, I do have a question regarding capturing the drippings during the cook. In the beginning I placed a pan under the butt for the drippings. I wrapped the meat in tin foil at 165 degrees, and when the butt was done there was a lot of drippings inside the wrap, all of which I saved. Just curious whether there is another way to capture the drippings, I dont know if it messes up the bark while cooking and resting. I noted that the drippings captured in the pan during the first half of the cook either boiled away or were burnt into the roasting pan.

qman
08-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Put some water in the drip pan from the beginning. That will keep drippings from burning or drying out. You can reduce the drippings later to get rid of excess water. I do not wrap till after butt comes out of cooker, so can't help you there.

Diesel Dave
08-31-2015, 06:43 AM
If you want to save the drippings I pan and cover my butts when they have the color/look I like. Also I don't trim the fat cap off of it as it protects the butt from the meat sticking to the bottom of the pan. Also to firm up the bark, when it's getting close to done, you can remove the foil, or take the butt out and put it on the smoker grill to finish.

IamMadMan
08-31-2015, 06:52 AM
Instead of wrapping, I also have panned the butts.

When wrapping the butt to go into the cooler stick the pan in the freezer for a few minutes to harden the fat. Scrape out the fat and the remaining juices can be mixed back into the pork.

ugaalf
08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
If you want to save the drippings I pan and cover my butts when they have the color/look I like. Also I don't trim the fat cap off of it as it protects the butt from the meat sticking to the bottom of the pan. Also to firm up the bark, when it's getting close to done, you can remove the foil, or take the butt out and put it on the smoker grill to finish.

Thanks, so when you like the bark, you place the butt in a pan and wrap the pan with the butt inside? Just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Bludawg
08-31-2015, 08:46 AM
I wrap mine I drain off the pig love before I let it rest on the counter top bark don't suffer that way.

cheeaa
08-31-2015, 11:13 AM
I don't usually wrap until it's done, but there is generally a fair amount of juice in the pan after it rests. I just pull and mix it all together.

ugaalf
08-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks to all that responded, good information

Roguejim
08-31-2015, 01:20 PM
I wrap mine I drain off the pig love before I let it rest on the counter top bark don't suffer that way.

Interesting. I was under the impression that you leave the pork in the juice while resting to reabsorb some of the juice. I'm not convinced any significant reabsorption even occurs, actually.

Boston Smoker
08-31-2015, 02:16 PM
I too pan mine at around 175 degrees (or when I like the color), hit with a dusting of rub and add some apple juice to the pan and cover with foil. Half of the time, I'll just finish it off in the oven. When probe tender, I'll take out the butts, rest for 15 min on the counter, then FTC. I'll separately pour the juice from the pan into a fat strainer (looks like a measuring cup with a spout coming up from the bottom). I'll save these juices and mix in with the meat after I pull it.