PDA

View Full Version : Test cooking a Wagyu next weekend.... looking for some input

pwa
08-30-2015, 10:22 PM
I've ordered a wagyu brisket to test cook against my 60 day aged choice. I normally cook everything at 325 on an offset with red oak. I'm looking for what you cook a wagyu at and how long ball park it takes so I can get an idea. This is for comps, and will get my full comp treatment. I'm trying to decide/get experience with it before the Jack.

Thanks for you time and experiences
Clint

SGH
08-31-2015, 04:45 AM
I have cooked a few Waygus so I will offer this. They get done MUCH sooner than select, choice and prime. I have ran the SRF Waygus Golds from 275-350 degrees. I see very little difference in the end product. If time allows, I prefer 275-285 degrees just because my Shirley will idle at this temp at will. Above you simply said that you ordered a Waygu. I can't speak for every supplier out there, but if you have a SRF Waygu Gold Grade, trust me when I say the cook will be far shorter than what you are accustom to.

Untraceable
08-31-2015, 05:38 AM
I say the opposite and don't be surprised if it takes longer. It's still a brisket, just a really nice one. A lot of fat to render

landarc
08-31-2015, 05:43 AM
My experience is with SRF Black Label. They cook faster with less stall. Of course, above 300F, there's hardly a stall at all. Other than that, they are very similar to what you're used to with any aged or Prime packer. Temperatures were similar, the Wagyu just got there sooner

bubbletop
08-31-2015, 08:31 AM
i cook SRF golds on a regular basis...4hr 45min @325 good luck and enjoy

pwa
08-31-2015, 11:59 AM
I appreciate the input, Exactly what I was looking for. I'm getting it from Paradise Meats (https://shop.paradisemeats.com/14-16-lb-briskets-c44.aspx). I have plenty of Freezer space to wet age briskets, and shipping to a brisket to Alaska will make you cry so I normally use the aged. But since I'm head to the land of cheap shipping thought I'd give a try up here to get a idea of how they cook, before I get a couple to cook along side my normal briskets.

Thanks for your Help, and I'll post pics this weekend of the 2 cooking side my side.

Clint

SGH
08-31-2015, 03:06 PM
i cook SRF golds on a regular basis...4hr 45min @325 good luck and enjoy

This is right on par with my cooking times as well with the SRF Waygu Gold Grade. Depending on which smoker I use, it can be a tad longer or shorter. Even on 20+ pound ones the cook is always right around the 5 hour arena. Give or take a little either way depending on conditions. Looking back through my cooking log, I found only one that went all the way to the 5 hour mark. The rest finished in under 5 hours. I haven't encountered one yet that even seriously approached the cooking time required be a select or choice grade. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but I have yet to see it. Everyone that I know that cooks them agrees as well, the cook time is dramatically shorter.

Cayman1
08-31-2015, 07:05 PM
We cook briskets from Paradise every competition. Generally 13-15 lbs prior to trimming.

At 275, on at 4 am., wrap at 8 am, and generally in cambro by 10:30 to 11:00.

Jason TQ
08-31-2015, 07:40 PM
I've cooked a good bit of choice and wagyu (primarily SRF black). We shifted last year to just cooking 1 waygu instead of 2 choice. But in the transition there were 4 consecutive comps where I cooked 1 choice and 1 wagyu together as an experiment. Same method to both all 4 times and the results were no cooking time difference. 2 times the choice finished first (including one when the choice was 20lbs and the wagyu was 16lbs) and 2 times the wagyu finished first. Neither finished more than 1hr difference.

Maybe others see it, but I actually do not think they cook faster or really any different. So timing should be similar to what you've done. Oh and I've cooked them both low and hot and still timing was nominally different in either direction.

Hog1990
08-31-2015, 07:48 PM
I trim them much more aggressively than choice or prime. I will remove fat cap on point and 90% of the deckle fat. 300°is my number as that is where the Gateways like to sing. 4.5-5 hours max.

Red Valley BBQ
09-01-2015, 07:19 PM
I also trim aggressively and have noticed they cook faster.

mikemci
09-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I cook SRF gold......no difference in time is my experience.