PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day cookout ideas

jsmorrow2s
08-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm going over to my families gathering next weekend and was looking for dinner ideas. I won't be cooking but my uncle who is well versed on his BGE, L, is will be and is looking for ideas. This weekend I had steak, pulled pork and burgers. Their family had ribs. Has anyone made something fresh and fun lately? Don't get me wrong I love the staples, but just looking for good ideas.

All that being said, a fattie will be on the menu!

Bludawg
08-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Beefcheek Barbacoa

Joe Black
08-30-2015, 08:10 PM
How about meat loaf, CSR's, Brats, pulled chuck roast. Good luck.

mrbill
08-30-2015, 08:45 PM
flour dredged wings. easy and tasty.

take plain chicken wings and coat with flour, cook them indirect with med-high heat until almost done. then baste with sauce/glaze of your choosing for the last 15min or so.

Zin
08-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Mollejas or Sweetbread meat.

Big Red Fan
08-30-2015, 09:37 PM
My anniversary is Labor Day weekend, 24 years, so steak is definitely on the menu, some chicken or pork will be as well. The 22" Weber kettle will get a workout. Thankfully, there will be charcoal on sale!

gun smoke
08-30-2015, 09:49 PM
we had a crayfish boil at work last week it was great so I picked up 10 lbs. of shrimp to do one for the family.

Fwismoker
08-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Stuffed chops (rotisserie) and ABT's, some with jalapeno and part sweet

LMAJ
08-31-2015, 08:48 AM
How about pizzas?

Gulfbeachman
08-31-2015, 09:09 AM
Instead of smoking a brisket or butt, I grilled some tri tip kabobs.

It was easy, tasty and pretty quick.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=950&pictureid=9779
http://http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=950&pictureid=9778

BIL'S BBQ
08-31-2015, 10:01 AM
this weekend I'm doing pork shoulder for pulled pork, hot dogs and hamburgers on the pellet popper. 2-3 spatchcock chickens, BBQ beans, and Mac and Cheese on the COS! plus whatever else family and friends bring!

so I'd suggest chicken since yall didn't eat it this weekend.

cowgirl
08-31-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm looking for ideas too. Sounds like I'll have a few guests for dove hunting.

Beefcheek Barbacoa
Had this in mind too.. one of my favorites! :thumb:

we had a crayfish boil at work last week it was great so I picked up 10 lbs. of shrimp to do one for the family.

A crawdad boil would be great too. I just did one a couple weeks ago while camping. Great way to feed a crowd!

I'm going to need at least one breakfast menu too. Might go with biscuits and gravy.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more ideas!

Trailer Trash
08-31-2015, 12:05 PM
A Taco Fest;
Carne Asada
Al Pastor
Deep Fried Baja battered fish and shrimp.

longhair75
08-31-2015, 12:29 PM
I have found a home for my very cheap Supertarget Special offset. A co worker will be picking it up maybe as early as this afternoon. I have the necessary parts either in hand or to be delivered in the next few days to add the mods needed for my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn. I will be assembling it and running a meatless seasoning cook probably Saturday, and I have a pork butt planned for Labor Day

BlkBear07
08-31-2015, 12:35 PM
I've got a dutch oven I haven't used for a while. I'm going to cook a pot roast on the BBQ smoker this Labor Day weekend.:clap:

arclite
08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
I cooked my first Pepper Stout Beef this weekend, with very little modification from the original recipe. It was really delicious.

If you want to keep it short & simple a butterflied, then rolled pork loin stuffed with whatever you like (pesto and gouda are easy standby's) is always a crowd pleaser.

LYU370
08-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Beefcheek Barbacoa

Mmmm... Whenever I can find beef cheeks, I always buy them up and make a batch of Barbacoa. So much better than the crap that Chipotle peddles as Barbacoa.

jonfromjersey
08-31-2015, 04:50 PM
Seafood paella cooked on the WSM
and
Meat paella cooked on the Weber kettle

Can't wait!

Kyle Serlington
08-31-2015, 05:33 PM
i'm smoking a pork butt and brisket and then i'm going to buy some slider rolls and have a little sandwich bar. homemade bbq sauce, pickles and onions for a McRib type sandwich, fried peppers and fried onions with cheese wiz for a mini brisket philly, and then raw onion and some tiger sauce for a pit beef brisket sandwich.

Spudco
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
My little brother and his new love will be visiting for the weekend. Not alot of time for the grill...

We will serve Aloha burgers with roasted potatoes one night:

Ground 80/20 beef from (our own cow) in 1/2 lb patties cooked over charcoal with addition of a bit of apple wood.
Grilled pineapple slices.
Served with spiced mayo, lettuce, onion, sharp goat cheese on sour dough buns.

A variety of potatoes (6 different types) dressed with garlic, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt and roasted hot in a grill box. Served with dressing of blue cheese, sour cream and spices.

Desert will be chocolate flan cake.

For Saturday college football viewing:

Peach salsa and chips
jalapeno stuffed with a bit of blue cheese, wrapped with prosciutto
shrimp ceviche