PDA

View Full Version : Full Packer Brisket and Pork Butt at the Same Time on the WSM.

Happy Hapgood
08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
I have an 18.5" WSM and am going to try both at the same time. I don't want the flavors to intermingle too much. So far I'm thinking Pork on top shelf fat side up and beef on lower shelf fat side up since the fat cap on the beef should shield the pork drippings from cooking into the beef. Also the pork will be done before the beef. Empty foil lined water pan and I don't plan to wrap either pork or beef. Going to use the Party Q to run a steady 250*F.

Anyone else ever smoke different meats over eachother? Is there a better arrangement?

Thanks! :thumb:

MisterChrister
08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
You're the right man for the job Mike, I'm sure they'll both be great!

hachi-roku_fan
08-30-2015, 06:20 PM
You can't stagger them so they don't drip on each other? The only thing I'm interested in finding out is how the wood you're using is going to interact with the pork and beef!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
08-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Sounds fun. I always use the same wood for beef and pork

Smokedawg86
08-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if you have any racks, but when I find myself in this situation, I would use a rack in the bottom of a foil pan for the pork butt. You'll still set your bark since the pork butt never touches the bottom, but you'll prevent the drippings from hitting the brisket at all.

PatAttack
08-30-2015, 06:37 PM
^^^This.

Pan the butt on the top rack, Brother.

LMAJ
08-30-2015, 06:39 PM
I usually do pork over brisket - and they are both delicious...
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m329/LMAJ/Sohappytogether245am.jpg

cowgirl
08-30-2015, 06:46 PM
All I can do is offer the use of a second smoker. Send the brisket my way and I'll smoke it for you if I can keep half. :becky:

Fwismoker
08-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan to me Mike.

Happy Hapgood
08-30-2015, 07:12 PM
You can't stagger them so they don't drip on each other? The only thing I'm interested in finding out is how the wood you're using is going to interact with the pork and beef!

Hickory/Pecan mix. Works well on both. :thumb:

landarc
08-30-2015, 07:20 PM
I think your plan is solid, if you wanted to pan and rack, that would work as well. I like to offset the meats as much as possible, although there will be some overlap no matter what you do. Another option, would be to go fat cap down with the brisket, but, to use a foil ball to tilt it at an angle. That will encourage any drippings to run off.

In truth, I have never gotten a porky beef brisket cooking butts over packers. For some reason, it works out, and I cook fat cap down

Meatguyver
08-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Pork and beef are my spirit animals, so you have my support!

BBQLuver
08-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Another option would be to put the butt on the top grate on top of a pan with a grate in the pan that allows for the drippings to go into the pan but not fall on the brisket on the bottom grate.

Good luck, sounds like your gonna have fun.

Happy Hapgood
08-31-2015, 06:55 PM
What I gather from most of the replies is that it is better not to let the pork renderings drip onto the beef and then a kinda sorta maybe. :becky::doh:

LMAJ
08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
When I let pork drip in brisket, my brisket never tastes porky...
Also - I would do both fat side down in a WSM.