PDA

View Full Version : How long to smoke

walley_eye
08-30-2015, 09:01 AM
I have read different things in regards to how long you're supposed to keep the smoke going while smoking.

Just yesterday I read only 1/2 hour but previously I was under the understanding you keep it going the whole time.

What say you?

BaronVonOttomatic
08-30-2015, 09:13 AM
That would depend on what you're cooking and how much smoke you want on it when it's done. I cook on a wood-fired smoker so the amount of smoke varies as wood is added to the firebox, but there's smoke from beginning to end.

If you wrap a piece of meat there's no point in keeping smoke going.

smokingkettle
08-30-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm no expert but it seems that it would be pointless to have smoke going once something is wrapped. Now, if you don't wrap, that's a different story. I did my first brisket yesterday. I did three fist-sized hickory and one mesquite chunk and those sent out blue smoke for like 6 straight hours. I had a really strong smoke ring. I received advice to add more smoking wood than that through out. I forgot to take the advice, yet was happy with how it turned out anyway. To be honest, any more smoke than that and I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. I guess the point is that it's subjective.

I've always feared over smoking and making my food bitter. As a result, I've always been on the conservative side.

Bludawg
08-30-2015, 09:31 AM
^^^ same here^^^ your best bet is to bury 3-5man fist chunks of wood in your unlit charcoal. BBQ is simple don't over think it. IDK where your getting all this bad info from but your confusing yourself with it. The interwerbs are full of self proclaimed experts full of misinformation. Sites like FNW &CC are the worst then there is that BBQ U fellar :tsk: YT "The BBQ PitBoys" they're the real deal for good info & recipes if your a visual learner and come here for your answers and advice that is what the Brethren do Mentor green horns and turn 'em into Pitmasters.

Bludawg
08-30-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm no expert

I've always feared over smoking and making my food bitter. As a result, I've always been on the conservative side.
No such thing as over smoking I cook on a stick burner quite a bit and there is smoke moving over my meat the whole cook. Bitter heavy tastes are from creosote and that comes from ; a smoldering fire that can't breath:> either from poor pit design, poor draft-- restricted exhaust or intake or both.

lashing1c
08-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Just because you can not see the smoke does not mean it does not have smoke flavor entering the meat. As a matter of fact, most all brethern will tell you the best kind of smoke is the thin blue that you cannot even see. White smoke is the worst because of the creasote flavor. You want you fire to smell good.

With that being said. After 5-6 hours smoke will know longer peneatrate the meat. That is why some people have no problem wrapping the meat during a cook.

Fwismoker
08-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Smoke is going the whole cook regardless unless you're electric or propane and charcoal to a degree depending on if wood chunks are still burning.

Smoke is always going, just because it isn't visible doesn't mean it's not there. In fact the "invisible" smoke is the best smoke. It's the smallest of small particle and combustion gasses flavoring the meat.

Joe Black
08-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Blu is right on. I use oak in my stick burner for the heat to cook. I personally think that Oak is a "flavor neutral" wood. The flavor that I use is in the form of chunks that I add at the beginning of a cook. When that's gone it's gone. The oak is still there for the heat. That's my $0.02. Joe

smokingkettle
08-30-2015, 10:40 AM
No such thing as over smoking I cook on a stick burner quite a bit and there is smoke moving over my meat the whole cook. Bitter heavy tastes are from creosote and that comes from ; a smoldering fire that can't breath:> either from poor pit design, poor draft-- restricted exhaust or intake or both.

Good to know. With my WSM, I let the chunks catch. They have a heavy white smoke for a few minutes. Once that calms down, I throw my food on. It's the blue to clear smoke from there on out. Seems to produce great results for me.

jbounds286
08-30-2015, 10:55 AM
^^^ same here^^^ your best bet is to bury 3-5man fist chunks of wood in your unlit charcoal. BBQ is simple don't over think it. IDK where your getting all this bad info from but your confusing yourself with it. The interwerbs are full of self proclaimed experts full of misinformation. Sites like FNW &CC are the worst then there is that BBQ U fellar :tsk: YT "The BBQ PitBoys" they're the real deal for good info & recipes if your a visual learner and come here for your answers and advice that is what the Brethren do Mentor green horns and turn 'em into Pitmasters.

ha! i just stumbled upon a bbq pit boys video yesterday...i hit the subscribe button after watching that video....def some good stuff

smokingkettle
08-30-2015, 11:44 AM
ha! i just stumbled upon a bbq pit boys video yesterday...i hit the subscribe button after watching that video....def some good stuff

Yeah. I've seen the Pit Boys videos. They are awesome.

SmittyJonz
08-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Whole cook

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/4B1687E9-3B2C-41A1-8656-C2A221931EF7_zpsbxcng1um.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/4B1687E9-3B2C-41A1-8656-C2A221931EF7_zpsbxcng1um.jpg.html)

leboshade
08-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Wow it looks like I better add more wood to my smoke.
Do you guys add wood to WSM little by little or all at the same time?

Bludawg
08-30-2015, 05:42 PM
I use Chunks 3-5 about the size of my fist buried in the unlit charcoal, it's a one time application.

Bludawg
08-30-2015, 05:44 PM
I use Chunks 3-5 about the size of my fist buried in the unlit charcoal, it's a one time application. When I had a UDS I'd stand a Split(as long as the basket) up in the center of the basket It would last the whole cook.

cayenne
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM

When I had a WSM..I'd add a few chunks every 1.5-2 hours as the cook went along....

cayenne