PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Depot

smokerpa
08-29-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm new to RD. I forgot that my KCBS membership afforded me a day pass to RD.

With that being said, I have gone the last two weekends and stocked up on meats and household items. A bunch of stuff for the back to school push. I don't buy anything in cases, but rather as individuals when it is available.

Both times I have submitted to them my drivers license, KCBS card and day pass. Both times it is met with speculation and questioning. I definitely don't mind answering questions, but today it almost didn't fly. Finally the person saw it say that all KCBS members are allowed to shop at RD and she finally accepted it.

I was advised that they have never heard of KCBS and/or seen anything like this day pass where I am. It definitely makes sense that they would not have. Anyone else experience this problem? Anything you can recommend to hopefully avoid this each time I go there? If not, I have no problem with dealing with it, as some of their prices are simply ridiculous.

Smokin69th
08-29-2015, 06:10 PM
I've only been to two RD locations (Nashville TN and Louisville KY) and I've never had a problem. I would just have a manager come up, and if they still have an issue, have them call RD corporate. I also carry a copy of the RD ad from the KCBS website with me, though I've never had to show it.

LYU370
08-29-2015, 06:53 PM
I've never had a problem over here. One time had a gal at the desk that was new and it took her a while to figure it out what to do. Bring a copy of the KCBS info with you, the code will make it easier to look up. If you start going there enough times, they'll remember you.

lantern
08-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Go here.
http://www.kcbs.us/discount_program.php

Print out the part about the restaurant depot day pass. It includes instructions FOR THE EMPLOYEES for the day pass. Have a great time...I sure do at RD.

IamMadMan
08-29-2015, 07:00 PM
I have never had a problem, nor other people who I know that are KCBS member have no problems here.

I am a registered business with my tax number on file at RD. Much easier than printing and showing a day pass.

jbounds286
08-29-2015, 07:42 PM
i had the issue in fort worth, tx and in norcross, ga

smokerpa
08-29-2015, 09:03 PM
I bring the pass with me so they can read it. It's definitely not even close to a deal breaker. Just wondering if I was the only one in this boat.

It will probably all take care of itself when I keep showing up all the time.

TuscaloosaQ
08-29-2015, 09:12 PM
In birmingham you just walk in and shop.. I have no card of any kind at all...

nmeyer414
08-29-2015, 09:42 PM
In birmingham you just walk in and shop.. I have no card of any kind at all...

but your paul Shirley.....................:becky:

bob3
08-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I've had a similar experience. Sometimes they need to call over a manager and it is a little frustrating, but eventually I'll be let in. It sure is a little more complicated than going to costco, but as you said, the prices make it worth the hassle. They often ask "What company?" and I've started to respond KCBS and that seems to help.

smokingkettle
08-30-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm assuming it costs money to get a membership with them?

ButtBurner
08-30-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm assuming it costs money to get a membership with them?

nope

unless you are buying a KCBS membership to get in

but a regular membership is as free as a bird

ModelMaker
08-30-2015, 09:51 AM
nope

unless you are buying a KCBS membership to get in

but a regular membership is as free as a bird

If you have a business license or are non=profit.
Ed

smokerpa
08-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Are you suppose to stop somewhere on the way into the store? I might not be following the rules then.

I shop for all the awesomeness that I want and then checkout with the KCBS day pass, my membership card and drivers license.

Am I missing something?

jread23
08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Well of course there is a membership fee, why else would you need a free day pass?
Ed

No, there isn't a fee. Without the KCBS pass, which is advertised as a one day shopping pass and not a "free" pass, you need a business tax id or non-profit info to get a membership.

Red Valley BBQ
08-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Are you suppose to stop somewhere on the way into the store? I might not be following the rules then.

I shop for all the awesomeness that I want and then checkout with the KCBS day pass, my membership card and drivers license.

Am I missing something?

Stop at the service desk on the way in. They will give you a temporary pass that the cashier will scan when you check out. That's what they do when I forget my RD card.

smokingkettle
08-30-2015, 10:25 AM
No, there isn't a fee. Without the KCBS pass, which is advertised as a one day shopping pass and not a "free" pass, you need a business tax id or non-profit info to get a membership.

Ahhh. Well. I'm just a dude in a backyard with a regular day job. So it doesn't look like that will work. Oh well, Amazon has most of what I want anyway.

smokerpa
08-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Stop at the service desk on the way in. They will give you a temporary pass that the cashier will scan when you check out. That's what they do when I forget my RD card.

This is probably what I have been doing wrong then.

gcs
08-30-2015, 01:04 PM
The KCBS day pass, is that a one time only thing, or can you use it continually?
There must be some limits?

don24
08-30-2015, 05:30 PM
I was wondering the same as above

ButtBurner
08-30-2015, 05:35 PM
If you have a business license or are non=profit
Ed

I am neither

I just asked what it took join, they told unless I was to purchase tax exempt all I needed was a EIN (tax ID), which I provided. Its on your W-2.

But this requirement varies from store to store so I would go to the service desk and ask what exactly it takes to join. Thats what I did

another angle is if you belong to a church or other non profit ask them for their info and you join on their behalf and give them a card

but to answer his question is does not cost anything to join which you cannot dispute

smokerpa
08-30-2015, 06:20 PM
The limitation is once per day. No other restrictions.

Bperkins01
08-31-2015, 06:50 AM
I got lucky - my first time there with the KCBS pass - the service desk person said what a pain that is.. and gave me a permanent RD Card..

Try hinting to the desk person about just getting them to issue you a card.

Right on Q
08-31-2015, 10:17 AM

This is what I do every time at the Memphis RD. Works like a charm.

Just had a friend buy a cambro, so the next time i was at RD i checked out their cambro prices. It was $35 less than he paid on Amazon. The 400 series was roughly $50 less than what was on Amazon.

Can't beat those prices!

posey's_pork_pit
08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
The KCBS day pass, is that a one time only thing, or can you use it continually?
There must be some limits?

The KCBS membership gets you in on a daily basis; that is the only limit. As has been said, stop by the desk, show your KCBS membership card or the RD flyer from the KCBS website. You will be given a slip of paper for the day which you will hand to the cashier who will keep it.

Although it is supposedly a daily pass, I have used my KCBS membership more than once in a day without issue. I'm hoping one day the Norcross location will tire of my day passes and just give me a card. A girl can dream anyway. :thumb:

NC Big Dawg
08-31-2015, 05:19 PM

Am I missing something?

At mine, there is a desk on the right, just as you enter the store. I have a membership because I have Tax ID. and scan my card there. I assume that's where you would go in to show your KCBS card.

BD

ButtBurner
08-31-2015, 06:05 PM

Am I missing something?

yes you stop where they give you the day pass. In your case you are already there!!

smokerpa
08-31-2015, 06:14 PM
I'm good with the original question. Unless someone else has a question about this, you can let this thread die.

funstuie
08-31-2015, 06:46 PM
I went into the San Francisco RD office last week for the first time. I gave the KCBS voucher to the guy at the service desk and he just wrote out a day pass and handed it back to me and told me to have fun. When I was checking out the cashier gave me back the pass.

No restriction on number of uses and although it's supposed to be a daily issued pass they don't seem to care if you come back on the same day.

I spent too much money in there and I am planning on going back soon.

Goddahavit
08-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Do not forget Bethlehem is a relatively new store seems to be some things are not totally smooth yet, that said i used the kcbs pass in phillie, and had the same issue.

I now just have my own business card, so no issues