PDA

View Full Version : WSM 14.5, Diffuser Plate

Calicoast
08-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Hello, greetings to all from Southern California.
First post - love to barbecue, and get better at it.

Q:
Been looking around for diffuser plates for my 14.5 WSM, found a few online, just about same width of water pan that came with the WSM. But would like some feedback on what type of metal would be best to use + overall thickness. Going to foil the metal plate up + pie pan on top, no water pan. This WSM is going to be put to work in Baja / Camping so clay saucer won't hold up.
Thanks, C

16Adams
08-29-2015, 04:04 PM
I've pondered this question as I've got a brand new in box 14.5. It may be a wedding gift- or not. My first thoughts are a cast iron griddle, a broke handle #6-7 Griswold cast iron skillet. You could fill with sand and wrap with foil- and play with a defective piece of Americana

ebijack
08-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Do you strictly want a diffuser or would you rather us a drip pan. A 9 inch alum pie pan covered in foil works great.

For a diffuser, for me, I prefer steel, drill holes as required to get an even temp. The aluminum ones I've made, the drippings seem to really stick and hold on tight making clean up more difficult.

Fwismoker
08-29-2015, 04:20 PM
If you can't find a holy diffuser I would simply drill out 1/2" and 3/4" size holes in the water pan.... Let the fire see the meat (so to speak)

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a pizza pan and cut it down to size worse case.

Calicoast
08-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Nothing set in stone, but curious what the brethren thinks. Be nice if its one piece drip pan with handles. Diffuser plate I am looking ar is 1/2 thick, 304 stainless. Would that work, or snuff the lump? Thanks, C

robert-r
08-29-2015, 06:16 PM
I use a 1/4 thick steel disk with a 1/8"x1" rim welded to it. I cover it with alum foil. It fits into the bottom supports for the bottom rack. It works well.

Lately... I haven't been using it much at all. Gone nekkid.

Calicoast
08-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Hello all, thanks for the replies. I have a 304 stainless flavorizer plate for my gas go anywhere, love it. Looking for the same type effect with WSM, juices hit the plate, smokes - evaporates. Not to concerned about catching drippings, just low slow even temp. Fire being able to see the meat is important. Going to try the Stainless 11-1/4 round plate. Drill holes as suggested, get her fired up. C