PDA

View Full Version : WSM Brisket - Spritzing and Rub

bob3
08-29-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm getting better at cooking briskets on my 18.5" WSM. Every time I cook brisket, I compare it to the best I've had in Austin at La Barbecue. I think I've pretty much got it down with texture, tenderness, moisture, etc. I'm lacking smoke flavor and bark. Smoke is light, bark is good, but there's still room for improvement. I've been cooking around 250-275, although I've done some cooks closer to 225 and others over 300. I'll use about 10 big chucks of oak, maybe six to start and then add a few over the course of the cook. I don't spray, and I wrap in BP after about 5-7 hours, then let it go until its probe tender. Does spritzing help get better bark and more smoke by keeping the meat temp down over the cook? Is smoke and bark a limitation of the WSM where offsets just make better brisket? My rub is S&P. I've done 50/50 by volume and by weight on different occasions and have hit it pretty heavy with rub. So I've done more wood chunks than most people recommend, more rub than most, and I'm lacking smoke and good bark. I'm thinking of adding more to my rub (such as paprika, OP, GP) and spritzing when the meat starts to get above 140 where it supposedly stops taking smoke in. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Shagdog
08-29-2015, 09:31 AM
I would try hickory or mesquite for a stronger smoke flavor. I find oak to be mild.

I don't spritz so I can't offer any help there...

darkoozy
08-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Spritzing will just soften the bark, no need for it. For better bark, let it run naked longer before you wrap. I run my briskets naked 80% of my cook, sometimes 10-12hours until the bark is nice and thick.

For heavier smoke flavor try a mixture of hickory and mesquite, you wont be disappointed. I smoked on WSM for 2 years, and still have one, and used about the same amount of wood you are using...

landarc
08-29-2015, 10:24 AM
I believe offsets create better bark and better smoke flavor

Bludawg
08-29-2015, 11:07 AM
You will never match the smoke depth of flavor of a stick burner with any other cooker. Run a dry pan and use less rub and your bark will get closer. Bark don't come from rub it comes from the maliard reaction.

Pork butt cooked on UDS at 300 no rub
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0131.jpg