PDA

View Full Version : PBC Spares Smoked w Madrone

Brew-Bq
08-28-2015, 07:45 PM
I hung 8 racks of "Light" Spare Ribs in the PBC today. The Rest Depot employee explained they are simply smaller spares weighing an avg of 3lbs per rack vs regular 4+. Not sure but it seems right. They were not trimmed any different than normal spares just a bit smaller. Smaller Pigs? Anyway I used four big chunks of Madrone my Dad brought back from Northern Cali. Man they were good! And the smoke character was great. A couple other Bbq guys commented on it. I did drop one rack in the fire at the 4.5 hour mark. I guess the Light spares cook faster. Either way they turned out great. It is one downfall of the PBC, if you wait too long you get falling racks! You open the lid and see that lonely hook with the tiny chunk of rib meat. Its like reeling in a fishing line to discover they got your worm. The rack was actually decent looking. I saved it for a buddy that likes em extra crispy. Anyone else use Madrone?

Fwismoker
08-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Sounds great! I'm sure they were tasty. Madrone the tree? Nope but as long as it's a hard wood it's all good!

Ron_L
08-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Yep, smaller pigs. And yes, they will cook faster because they are smaller.

landarc
08-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Shhhhh! We don't tell other folks about madrone as smokewood

16Adams
08-28-2015, 09:49 PM
OP- help a brother out. I've cooked guessing 200+ racks of ribs both baby back, loin back, full spares and St Louis cut. I've always followed the protocol of hooking in the thick end 2-4 bones down. I've never dropped a rack yet.

Did you unhook glaze-season-spritz- and rehang or move them in any way other than hooking to cook and unhooking to eat?

Just curious when I see a dropped anything. I dropped some chicken due to not hooking under the wing- but not when I hook it properly.

Brew-Bq
08-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I hang under the third bone on the bigger side unless it looks suspect then I go four down. Ive dropped three racks but one I hooked on the thinner side one of my first PBC cooks. The other two were on the same cook where I just let it go too long. I put em on and dont mess w them til around 4 hours then I probe em for doneness (toothpick). Ive cooked a lot of racks on the PBC so I havent dropped a high percentage. This cook I had a grate on top of the rebar w rib trimmings going w a Kingsford lid w the vents open. I think it cooked hotter than I realized because the charcoal was done around 5 hours and I will usually get 8 or 9. The "light" spares didnt help matters either.

worktogthr
08-28-2015, 11:02 PM
I lost one rack on my first cook and now when I do ribs I turn the rack upside down and push it over the bar of the charcoal basket. If anything falls,at least it's not covered in spent charcoal ash.

Brew-Bq
08-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Everytime it has happened I have had surprisingly little ash. Todays rack had a Qaurter sized gray ash spot. It also got a bit blackened all around but I think I caught it pretty quick. Makes me want a Shirley where I could lay out multiple racks and not worry as much about time! One day. I do have a set of Rib Racks so I can cook quite a few on my Weber Kettle or WSM. Honestly I love the simplicity of the PBC. It certainly has its limitations, but w my little mods it can turn out a ton of Q w little monitoring. One day I would like a stick burner when I have the time to babysit a cook. I love watching/helping my Buddy smoke on his stick burner.

AClarke44
08-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Were the spares trimmed St Louis style or full racks. I've only dropped spares once in my PBC and they were a full racks (dropped 2 in the same cook). I just figured the full racks probably need to be double hooked because of the weight. But I've only done St Louis spares since.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
08-29-2015, 12:38 AM
Never would have thought to smoke with madrone. Sounds interesting

Roguejim
08-29-2015, 02:10 AM
I've often wondered about madrone, living in the Pacific Northwest. It's everywhere, and is a popular firewood.