PDA

View Full Version : WSM Chicken Wings

vandy13
08-28-2015, 06:19 PM
I had been craving some wings so decided to throw some on the WSM. Normally, I cook wings hot and fast on the kettle. But since I just got the WSM last week, I wanted to test it out.

I threw together a rub for the wings. Hit them with: 4 tsp Cajun, 1 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp onion,1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp lemon pepper

Threw them on at 275 for 2 hours. Once 2 hours was up, I mixed up a sauce of: 3 tbsp honey, half cup of franks red hot, half of a vinegar based bbq sauce, 1/4 stick of butter. Tossed them back on the smoker and going to let them go for about 30 minutes. Will report back once they're done.

You guys stay safe and have a blessed weekend.

Fwismoker
08-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Looks great so far, H&F over a fire and you can't go wrong. If you went w/out the water pan all the better.

Happy Hapgood
08-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Good looking wings Sir!

Stingerhook
08-28-2015, 06:31 PM
I want wings NOW!

Bonewagon
08-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Lookin' good! :thumb:

Wornslick
08-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Fine!!!!

bbqwilly
08-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Killer wings!

landarc
08-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice wings

ShadowDriver
08-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Those sure look tasty (and I like the flavors that come to mind when I read through your rub ingredients)!

I was already planning wings for Sunday... but now I'm seriously looking forward to it!

vandy13
08-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Well fellas, thank you for all the kind words. I planned on posting a follow up as soon as I tasted them but I got caught up with a beverage and watching my Titans suck it up against the Chiefs.

Anyway, here is the final product plated. The flavor profile of these was just what I had in mind for a sweet heat wing. The first wing had a sweet bbq flavor but then 2 seconds in I got a kick in the mouth. On the second wing, I had another sweet flavor but again the kick was right on the back end. By the third wing and throughout, I was definitely picking up the cayenne with a touch of the sweetness. Overall, very pleased with the turn out.

When I'm making my rubs I just throw things together based on my mood. I rarely keep a recipe but this time I think I'll keep this rub for future use.

You guys enjoy the time with family and have a blessed weekend.

vandy13
08-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Also, forgot to mention these guys but had some quarters that needed to be cooked. I hit them with the same flavor profile and let them go at 275* for 3 hours. Going to vacuum seal each of these and a cup of rice for lunches next week.

robert-r
08-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Looks great!
Happy Camper?

Harbormaster
08-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Interesting that you sauced an put back on the WSM.

When I do wings, it's always on the WSM with a little birch for smoke. I eat them "dry" if you know what I mean. So juicy, so good they don't need sauce.

Gotta admit, your sauce recipe does sound tasty.

No salt in the rub? Was the 4 tsp Cajun a cajun seasoned salt?

vandy13
08-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Interesting that you sauced an put back on the WSM.

When I do wings, it's always on the WSM with a little birch for smoke. I eat them "dry" if you know what I mean. So juicy, so good they don't need sauce.

Gotta admit, your sauce recipe does sound tasty.

No salt in the rub? Was the 4 tsp Cajun a cajun seasoned salt?

I know what you mean on the dry eating. I sampled on before I sauced and it was a perfect spicy wing, nice and juicy. I wanted to layer the flavofs and get the sweet then the heat so I sauced. Personally, when I think wings, I think all over your hands and face messy goodness.

As far as the no salt in the rub, the Cajun is a Kroger brand mix. From looking at the ingredients it does have salt. Also the garlic I listed was a garlic salt so that added some salt as well. I will work on being more precise in my descriptions going forward.

Cajun seasoning: http://www.shopwell.com/kroger-cajun-seasoning/seasonings/p/1111072996

BobM
08-29-2015, 03:30 AM
Looks great! :thumb:

cheez59
08-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Nice wings and nice lunch too.