PDA

View Full Version : New BGE XL came

cayenne
08-28-2015, 06:17 PM
They dropped it off...and it was 99% put together...so, I think I got the floor model other than the NIB...but hey, that saves me assembly time.

They forgot the ceramic cap too...I also asked for all the instructions and paperwork too...they are supposed to drop it off in a bit.

I'm not firing it up till I get everything, in case I have to tell them to take this back and bring me a NIB one.

But I think it will be ok. LOL...the handle...had the logo upside down, I suppose I can unbolt and flip it over, but I might leave it...tell everyone I "Just wanted to be different".
:)

Anyway..here's a pic of it!

Can't wait to light this puppy up.
I think I'll just light it first....bring to about 350F for a bit and then shut it down..just to burn it in a bit before I relight to cook with.

cayenne

ttix
08-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Congrats on the new cooker I'm sure you will love it :clap:

Fwismoker
08-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Beautiful good cooker, I hope it brings you lots of good food!

Ron_L
08-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Congrats!

Rusty Kettle
08-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Nice. I am so jealous right now. You going to go to Eggtoberfest? It is one of my bucket list things to go to Eggtoberfest some day.

LMAJ
08-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Congrats! Remember - do some low and slow first before firing it up!

Bonewagon
08-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Very nice!

Rusty Kettle
08-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Check into High Que gaskets the nomex ones they are a pain to install but I love mine on my vision grills kamado. It's very nice and air tight and can cook at higher temps.

jbounds286
08-28-2015, 07:04 PM
i wonder how long it will be before it cracks.....:shock:

but enjoy it until then!

cayenne
08-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Nice. I am so jealous right now. You going to go to Eggtoberfest? It is one of my bucket list things to go to Eggtoberfest some day.
I've heard of those and seen the videos of them on YT.....wondering if they will ever have one near the New Orleans area?

I'd love to check one out!!!

I'm still kinda p*ssed that I registered on the egghead forum, was accepted, but still for some reason....NOT post on there yet?!?!?

Strange....heck I got MUCH more infor before I bought on THIS forum than the one actually dedicated to the darned things, because they wouldn't let me post to ask questions.

Strange....

cayenne
08-28-2015, 07:18 PM
i wonder how long it will be before it cracks.....:shock:

but enjoy it until then!

Please..don't even JOKE about that!!!!

:O

bbqwilly
08-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm jealous.

jbounds286
08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Please..don't even JOKE about that!!!!

:O

lol oh come on...its a ceramic..its not if..but when! :laugh:

cayenne
08-28-2015, 11:41 PM
lol oh come on...its a ceramic..its not if..but when! :laugh:

Really?

I thought it was only if you shocked it badly like throwing water IN it at high heat, etc.

I'd not heard about any cracking problems that were common?

Rusty Kettle
08-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Really?

I thought it was only if you shocked it badly like throwing water IN it at high heat, etc.

Fireboxes or as some people know them fire bowls will crack but that is what a lifetime warranty is for. Mine cracked at the expansion joint on my vision grills and they said it would be replaced when it couldn't hold charcoal.

I am sure the Big Green Egg folks will take care of anything like that. Check your warranty as it would be covered if it does. It's not a big deal.

I would stay away from the high temps. It can do it but it's not needed in my opinion and puts wear and tear on it that you don't need to do. 450 is where I limit mine. I like Nomex Gaskets as they are durable and can go high heat but I got them so they would last. Mind my kamado was $190 for one with a 16" grate so it's cheaper but for the price couldn't be beat. Although your egg should be made better and from what I understand they are pretty durable. They even have a mount where you can attach it to a hitch. Take care of it and you will be fine. The Big Green Egg company is a great company and I have heard nothing but praise for them. There is reason there are egg heads. :thumb: you are in good hands or should I say their customer service is supposed to be Eggcelent! I had to say it lol.

Ron_L
08-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Really?

I have four Eggs, one of which is about 15 years old and none have cracked in the fire box. It happens, but it is nothing to worry about.

I'm still kinda p*ssed that I registered on the egghead forum, was accepted, but still for some reason....NOT post on there yet?!?!?

Strange....heck I got MUCH more infor before I bought on THIS forum than the one actually dedicated to the darned things, because they wouldn't let me post to ask questions.

Strange....

You can find more information here, anyway :-D

chingador
08-29-2015, 08:47 AM
my fire box has a crack in it and it just keeps on rolling. Nothing to worry about.

thirdeye
08-29-2015, 10:58 AM
One important assembly tip - Make sure the charcoal grate is installed correctly. One side of the holes have a slight bevel to them, natural instinct tells you (and many dealer assembly people) that the bevel should be facing up (on the charcoal side of the grate), but they really should be on the bottom side (the ash compartment side). If the bevel is up the holes trap more ash, with the bevel down it allows the ash to fall through easier.

joemat
08-29-2015, 01:59 PM
I bought my first Big Green Egg in 1996. Still have it along with my newer XL. In all that time only one issue with internal ceramics. I developed a hairline crack in the fire box. Dealer just wanted a picture and they sent me a new one. No questions asked.

Thats why you get a BGE :thumb:

Congrats. You will love it.

SimcoBBQ
08-29-2015, 02:15 PM
They dropped it off...and it was 99% put together...so, I think I got the floor model other than the NIB...but hey, that saves me assembly time.

They forgot the ceramic cap too...I also asked for all the instructions and paperwork too...they are supposed to drop it off in a bit.

I'm not firing it up till I get everything, in case I have to tell them to take this back and bring me a NIB one.

But I think it will be ok. LOL...the handle...had the logo upside down, I suppose I can unbolt and flip it over, but I might leave it...tell everyone I "Just wanted to be different".
:)

Anyway..here's a pic of it!

Can't wait to light this puppy up.
I think I'll just light it first....bring to about 350F for a bit and then shut it down..just to burn it in a bit before I relight to cook with.

cayenne

F
Oh hell no man / at least put some sausage in there to get the burn in!
And congrats on the new smoker. I will say putting the hing on those are a pain in the a$$ , so no harm in the floor model being already assembled. Just make sure to tighten everything back up in case it was over-fondled by want to be owners!

SimcoBBQ
08-29-2015, 02:19 PM
my fire box has a crack in it and it just keeps on rolling. Nothing to worry about.

Chingador / give the factory @ primo a call. Some of the Primo's had charcoal grates that were like a 1/4" to big causing the fire box to crack from the metal expanding & contracting. They'll replace it , all you'll need is the serial # off the hinge cover