PDA

View Full Version : Pulled pork help

FiremanVinny
08-28-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm having a party at my house for our baby announcement/gender reveal this Sunday. We are having around 50 people. About 35 adults and 15 teens/kids. We are having pulled pork sliders with a bunch of sides.

2 questions

1. How much uncooked pork shoulder should I buy?

2. I ran out of my SM sweet seduction (lock me up I know). There's no way I can get some before Sunday so how should I season all this pork?

Any and all help is appreciated
Vinny

smokingkettle
08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm having a party at my house for our baby announcement/gender reveal this Sunday. We are having around 50 people. About 35 adults and 15 teens/kids. We are having pulled pork sliders with a bunch of sides.

2 questions

1. How much uncooked pork shoulder should I buy?

2. I ran out of my SM sweet seduction (lock me up I know). There's no way I can get some before Sunday so how should I season all this pork?

Any and all help is appreciated
Vinny

What are you smoking with?

Ron_L
08-28-2015, 04:44 PM
If it is your only meat, figure 1/3 lb per person cooked weight. Most guys use 50% yield, so that is 2/3lb per person raw. For 50 servings that is approx. 34 lbs. The younger kids and women will probably eat less, but the men and teenage boys will probably eat more :-D

For the rub, what do you have on hand? Salt, pepper, onion powder garlic powder and some turbinado sugar is a pretty simple, and good rub on pork.

gtr
08-28-2015, 04:50 PM
There are a lot of ways to go about it, but Chris Lily's recipe comes to mind right away - you can make it with stuff you probably already have and it's quite good. If you do the injection recipe I'd cut the salt in half (for the injection).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chris-lillys-six-time-world-championship-pork-shoulder-52415241

As to amounts - since some are teens, I'd figure them as balancing out smaller kids in how much they'd eat, so for 50 folks at 4 servings per pound you'd need around 12-13 # cooked. I always figure 50# loss to be safe, so you'd start with around 25# raw. If you're more inclined to 3 servings per cooked pound then you'd start with approx. 32# raw. Depends on what kind of eaters you're expecting, but somewhere in that range should be good.

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Butts loose 50% I always figure 1 lb raw per eater

FiremanVinny
08-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Thank you. I'm cooking with a uds. I Have lots of spices on hand.

gtr
08-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Congrats on the baby btw!

jbounds286
08-28-2015, 07:06 PM
i use this....and a couple spoonfuls of apple jam the last hour on top which gets mixed in during the pull

worcestershire slather...then

rub recipe:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

everyone says its the best they have eaten