PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Salad

SteevieG
08-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone,

My wife wants me to smoke some chicken thighs to grind up for chicken salad sandwiches and to put between crackers and such, much like tuna.

I went and got some thighs, put them in a short brine and took them out of the brine and went to start the smoker. When I came back in she had run about half of the chicken through the grinder. Her reasoning was it'll take on more smoke that way. She likes a lot of smoke, bless her heart!

Is this going to end poorly for the chicken or will it be OK smoking preground chicken in a colander type thing?

Ron_L
08-28-2015, 12:02 PM
It will be fine, but will probably dry out quickly, so just watch it and when it hits 165 or so take it out. You may want to spread it out on a sheet pan so it cooks evenly. if it is clumped in a colander the outside will be done before the inside.

SteevieG
08-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Good point and thank you Ron!

landarc
08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
I would smoke them like a fatty, form logs, chill and then on to the smoker.

SteevieG
08-28-2015, 02:22 PM
That's a good idea, too. Thank you landarc!

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 03:53 PM
I always cook the birds whole leftovers go in the food processor with Mayo and go for a ride then diced celery Pecans and Granny Smith apple get folded in.

smokestack willie
08-28-2015, 04:42 PM
^^^ Basically what we do except no grinder we chop and also add green onions. Tasty!