PDA

View Full Version : Do ya'll usually make your own spice rubs/mops or buy store pre made?

cayenne
08-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I've just been perusing many of the threads here and I've seen a number of them with folks using store bought pre-made spice rubs. Just struck me a bit strange, I dunno why.

I try to as much as possible from scratch when I cook anything. I will say, there ARE some spice blends out there that are great. I mean, I live in NOLA...and I'd be lost without Tony Chacherie's creole seasoning. I basically use it in place of salt for most any day-to-day cooking, but when I fire up the smoker I just do my own spices.

Now, my stuff is VERY basic...when doing brisket, ribs, butt...etc. I pretty much do black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. I sometimes add or substitute a bit of sugar for pork.

I've just found that those seem to stand up to long smoking...and subtlety of other bits and pieces of seasoning are lost...at least I can't taste them.

But I digress. Just curious...how many of you regularly by pre made spice blends to use for rubs vs mixing your own?

For that matter, what about mops? Also, do many of you inject too? If so, store bought or home made?

Thanx!!!

cayenne

aawa
08-28-2015, 10:21 AM
There is nothing wrong with using commercial rubs. There are a lot of great commercial rubs out there that companies have put in countless hours in making it right.

Now that being said, I do make my own rubs and sauces a majority of the time, but will use commercial rubs from time to time.

Maylar
08-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Both. I like something I found on the web called Magic Dust - it seems to go well on anything. Plus, if I see an interesting recipe, I'll mix up a batch and try it. Otherwise I'll pick from the proven results of the commercial stuff.

pvcollie
08-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Mix my own

KevinJ
08-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Make my own Rubs and Mops, it's easy todo and it's fun to tweak a recipe from time to time. I'd make my own BBQ Sauce but I really like Sweet Baby Ray's so I haven't found the need and when I use sauce I use a little.

SD_Smoker
08-28-2015, 11:52 AM
I do get some of the commercial ones from time to time but my homemade rubs and sauces win the crowds are are easier on the wallet so I use them the most.

I agree, a little tweak from time to time gives it enough of a change.

jbounds286
08-28-2015, 12:00 PM
i mix my own....usually the stuff in the stores premixed has fillers and anti clump stuff and all sorts of weird things

dsp2
08-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Used to make my own but then used mostly commercial ones for a while. Tons of Dizzy Pig and would also buy these yearly special packs of popular rubs and sauces.

Last few months - inspired by reading up on central Texas BBQ in prep for the trip we just took - I've been going simpler and simpler. Mainly salt and pepper.

Actually to be fair even before this central Texas kick I cooked Mark Bittman's simplest roast chicken a few times. Preheat cast iron pan in oven to 500 degrees. Season 3-4 pound chicken with salt pepper and olive oil. Place on pan, breast side up, and roast for 15 minutes. Then lower oven temp to 350 and roast until done, usually about 45 minutes. It is delicious and I drink the accumulated pan juices like soup if I don't stop myself.

Anyway, those two influences plus lots of what I read here lately have me making my own very simple rubs lately.

Ray43050
08-28-2015, 12:02 PM
I find commercial rubs to salty for my family.

landarc
08-28-2015, 12:16 PM
I do both, I have some favorite brands I use, and then add, supplement or just roll with my own rubs and such.

SmittyJonz
08-28-2015, 12:18 PM
I buy them. Too lazy to make them plus I don't think I'd do as a Good as Stubbs, Sweet Baby Rays, PlowBoys, Butchers, Oakridge etc etc so why even try.

Ron_L
08-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I do both, I have some favorite brands I use, and then add, supplement or just roll with my own rubs and such.

Yep... This ^^^^

Smokin69th
08-28-2015, 12:22 PM
I used to do my own, tweaking some basic recipes. But once I sampled a few commercial rubs, I've settled on a flavor profile I like and I use them most of the time. Oakridge Black Ops, Plowboys Yardbird, and Bad Byron's Butt Rub are in the forefront of my spice rack.

lantern
08-28-2015, 12:29 PM
I do both. I can't recommend Oakridge rubs enough due to their flavor and grind. But I HAVE TO HAVE my cabinets filled with every herb and spice I can so I can make whatever pops into my head. When it comes to building a crust(not a bark) on burgers and large roasts its hard to beat the kind of rubs you make at home using large chunks of the spices.

blazinfire
08-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm just starting to make my own rubs/seasonings due to being in a small town in WV the only store we have here with rubs is walmart. and our walmart doesn't have a very good selection of rubs. they do not supply the flavor profile I'm looking for anymore, just getting burnt out on the very few options I have.

Considering ordering rubs online trying to find new flavors to try? would you guys shop on amazon? Is there better/cheaper places to buy rubs and sauces online? Does anyone have good suggestions for Rubs I could buy online that I couldn't get here?

cheez59
08-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I use about 90% commercial rubs and 10% home made. It is easier and less time consuming for me.

dadsr4
08-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Mix my own. Purchased rubs tend to have too much salt and sugar for our tastes. Plus, I can tailor the rub to the flavor I'm interested in at the moment.

hachi-roku_fan
08-28-2015, 02:47 PM
I use to use Memphis Meat Dust, and recently bought some Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple. That stuff is goooooooood!! For grilling beef I usually stick to Salt and Pepper.

dport7
08-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Make My own, don't know if Iv'e ever made a batch the same way twice though.
Always the same ingredients, just say oops sometimes.

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 03:45 PM
I buy mine Kosher salt & Tones Course black pepper, Slap Ya Momma oh almost forgot sugar & McCormick Season All.
Good BBQ don't need no sauce but I do give my Pig meat a healthy dose of Inner Beauty Habenaro Hot Sauce on occasion I not because it needs it I really like the sauce.

jermoQ
08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I like to try stuff and making it yourself is rewarding and in my case necessary as some of the ones I like have msg and I have family members allergic to msg. It is also fun to find an ingredient that makes your rub better!

RevZiLLa
08-28-2015, 04:32 PM
I usually make my own. There are tons of great commercial rubs too. Some of the recipes I find are unique and not available commercially. As for sauces, I do not like most store bought sauces. That is just me.

fat_bastard
08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
I have a rub that goes great on pork and poultry but I don't think it'll do well on beef. I'm smoking a brisket flat this weekend that I'll likely just use salt and pepper on. As for sauces, again I make my own in general that has a bit of heat but sometimes for some sweetness, I just grab some Sweet Baby Ray's.

Bonewagon
08-28-2015, 07:08 PM
I mostly use commercial rubs. I'm a lazy farker and there some great commercial rubs out there.

BaronVonOttomatic
08-28-2015, 10:13 PM
What's the difference between "flavor profile" and "taste"?

I've played around with some store bought rubs and made some rubs myself but most of the time I fall back on salt, black pepper, and some red pepper or chipotle. Let the meat and the smoke do the talking.

Harbormaster
08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
I have cupboards and cabinets full of commercial rubs and seasoning mixes that I use in my own cooking.

Butts and Brisket get my custom Wyocena Yacht Club competition rubs. Just mixed up a huge batch of pork rub for the butts I'm doing this weekend.

For chicken, I use a rub called Backyard BBQ that I pick up at a grocery store on the Northwest side of Dothan, AL when we drive through every two years or so.

As far as sauces, I'm partial to Big Butz sauces made in Siren, WI. The Hot sauce is fantastic with my pork, and the No Butz is freaking great on everything.

pga7602
08-28-2015, 11:41 PM
I mix my own. Comes out cheaper for me in the long run.

Win nut
08-28-2015, 11:56 PM
I do classic SPOG for brisket, ribs get John Henry's East Texas Pecan rub, pork shoulder get Lambert's Sweet Rub O Mine and chicken gets Adkins Western bbq rub. I have made Magic Dust, it's pretty good. I have tried many rubs that are way too salty, Yardbird comes to mind! :-) I usually doctor up the rubs with a touch of cayenne and cumin. For sauce I like KC Masterpiece and Bullseye.mixed 50/50, or Head Country Hickory.

mytmouz
08-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Usually commercial on the rubs, do my own mop though...

BobM
08-29-2015, 03:40 AM
I mix my own rubs, I use commercial sauce.

J-Rod
08-29-2015, 07:51 AM
I do both. I have a pork rub recipe that I make that I'm pretty happy with but don't have one dialed in for beef yet so I just use Montreal style steak seasoning most of the time.

That said, when I buy a rub or sauce I read the label. If it has anything weird, or high fructose corn syrup in it I won't buy it.

TropicDad
08-29-2015, 08:00 AM
I like to make my own but I buy the Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria steak seasoning, I love it on turkey and chicken.

Diesel Dave
08-29-2015, 11:22 AM
I've tried making my own. But that being said I can't make a flavor profile like my favorite Simply Marvelous rubs. I use 4 of them on ribs, plus BPS Money Rub. 2 of them on pork butts that I inject with Mad Hunkey Meats Pork Brine in apple juice. Brisket is always Oak Ridge Black Ops Rub and injected with Kosmo's Grand Reserve.

These rubs/injections have never done me wrong and are consistent.

arclite
08-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Mix my own rubs.

Vinegar finishing sauce (for shoulder) is homemade since it's only 3 or 4 ingredients.

Other sauces were usually doctored-up store bought, but have been leaning toward more homemade sauces this summer.

cseymour45
08-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I mix my own. Comes out cheaper for me in the long run.

Agreed, too many rub recipes out there not to make em. I made Franklins recipe for sauce and tweaked it a little (thinned with more vinegar and beer) and I don't know if I will ever buy a sauce again.

Smoke Dawg
08-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I stopped making my own rub when I found Oakridge through the Brethren.

We still have a full stock of seasonings and spices and use them regular but have been very happy with Oakridge products

Try the sampler https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/vip-sample-rub-8-pack/

It is a great deal and chance to try 8 different rubs at a very low cost.

Don't mop very often and don't sauce often either. When I do I start with Sweet baby Rays and make it my own

cseymour45
08-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Try the sampler https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/vip-sample-rub-8-pack/
It is a great deal and chance to try 8 different rubs at a very low cost.

I had no idea they were in Kearney, MO! I pass through there all the time, it's only 45 mins or so from my parents home. Do they have a brick and mortar store also?

qnbiker
08-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Buy my spices in bulk and make my own; I'm cheap.

btcg
08-29-2015, 11:40 AM
i buy mine kosher salt & tones course black pepper, slap ya momma oh almost forgot sugar & mccormick season all.
good bbq don't need no sauce but i do give my pig meat a healthy dose of inner beauty habenaro hot sauce on occasion i not because it needs it i really like the sauce.

+ 1

dmenke725
08-29-2015, 04:04 PM
I make my own, primarily because I've read that most commercial rubs are at least 50% salt. Salt is cheap, and there is a significant savings in making your own rubs at least. Besides, I enjoy it as part of the process.

JoeSmoker
08-29-2015, 04:31 PM
I have to say both. I make my own and enjoy tweaking them to see how it changes. However, there are some really good commercial ones out there and a few of them are in the rack here!

BB-Kuhn
08-30-2015, 06:41 AM
I use my own 90% of the time. As with the store bought ones, I too have spent countless hours crafting them and I like them a whole lot.

People often will buy me some rubs and sauces they find,and I occasionally buy some myself. I'll use them here and there, or when I'm running low on my own stuff and don't have time to make more for a week or two.

But at the end of the day, I developed my 2 rubs and sauce to be exactly what I want, so I do prefer them to just about anything else. Plus, as a competitor I like sing to take the credit. I can't imagine winning an award using something that I didn't make.

Smokesignalsfromtx
08-30-2015, 07:20 AM
I came up with my own. Took almost a year of tinkering to meticulously get it exactly like I wanted it. When I finally got it, BAM! It was magic! It was AWESOME! Then I kept hearing how everyone was recommending the Oakridge Black Ops, so I gave it a try......... Tastes just like mine, so now I order it. In my case it's was easier, and cheaper to order than make it myself.

nmeyer414
08-30-2015, 07:46 AM
for the most part, we use a doctored version of a commercial rub and head country sauce.

I like tinkering with sauces, but the wife does not like bbq sauce, that was until she had some head country hot and spicy, now that's all she will eat sauce wise.

Al_T
08-30-2015, 10:33 AM
I make all of my own rubs and sauces. It is what nakes my cooking unique to me. Being in and from Texas my brisket rub is very simple. Not as simple as S&P but close. My rib rubs are more complex and IMHO better then most of the commercial rubs I have tasted. Sauce to me is a condiment that I do like from time to time, and my scratch sauce is unique and good. I spent several years getting it where I liked. Now I have people asking me for it. I like experimenting with different flavor combinations of food and spices. It to me makes cooking fun.