PDA

View Full Version : Need recipe for bacon ends

Huh? What?
08-28-2015, 09:35 AM
My first batch of bacon is gone, save for the ends and pieces from slicing. Now I need a recipe to use them. I'm looking for something different.

I have about a pound and a quarter of ends.

Anyone have a favorite recipe for ends and pieces?

Shagdog
08-28-2015, 09:56 AM
I will usually leave them on (mostly) cure them with the rest, and trim them before slicing. Then save the chunks separately in 1 lb bags for use in stews and soups etc.. I've also just cured them in their own bag, smoked them and done the same.

If you're looking for recipes to use the fresh belly in, I will usually grind it for sausages.

Huh? What?
08-28-2015, 09:59 AM
This is cured. It's what was left when it was too small to slice into bacon strips. Normally, it would go into soup or chili, but I'm looking for something different to do with them this time.

HookedOnQ
08-28-2015, 10:03 AM
I cure and smoke my bellies before trimming that way i can use any trimmings to season beans or greens. I will occasionally trim first to grind with sausage but you can also use the cured ends in your sausage grind.

RolandJT
08-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Bake em in BBQ sauce--sort of like cocktail weenies extreme version

Joe Black
08-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Beans, Potato Salad, Baked Potatoes, Greens, Brocolli, Brussels Sprouts, Omelets, Sweet Potatoes, plus all that has been said above. Bacon trimmings are good for anything IMO.

sbramm
08-28-2015, 05:19 PM
i always square off my slabs for slicing and since i also make sausage, save the trimmings to include in bratwurst!

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Beans!

Huh? What?
08-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Looking for something more inventive than beans.

Bludawg
08-28-2015, 09:47 PM
ok

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
INGREDIENTS

12 ounces bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice*
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup reserved bacon fat, chilled
make some bacon jam
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon liquor
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
8 ounces dark chocolate
DIRECTIONS

In a large saute pan, cook out the diced bacon until the bacon pieces are golden and crisp. Remove the bacon pieces from the fat and drain on a paper towel. Strain the fat through a fine sieve and measure out a 1/2 cup bacon fat and chill the bacon fat until it congeals and is set.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Beat the butter, chilled bacon fat, granulated sugar, light sugar, dark brown sugar, bourbon, and vanilla, in a large mixer bowl, until it is well combined.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the cooked bacon pieces and chopped chocolate bits. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment-lined baking sheets at least 3-inches apart.

Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Keep in a dry, airtight container for up to 5 days.

Chef John's Bacon Jam

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds bacon, chopped
2 teaspoons butter
4 large yellow onions, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves,
divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

Place bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and cook over medium heat until bacon is crispy and the rendered fat is foaming, about 10 minutes. Pour bacon and rendered fat into a strainer placed over a bowl to drain fat. When fat is drained and bacon is cool enough to handle, remove bacon to a cutting board and finely chop.

Return pot to medium heat; drizzle 2 teaspoons reserved bacon fat and butter in pan. Saute onions and 1 teaspoon salt until soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes.

Stir brown sugar, sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, black pepper, and cayenne into onion mixture; add bacon. Stir water into bacon mixture and cook until jam is a brick-brown bacon color and has a jam consistency, 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme into jam; stir until shiny and heated through.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
08-29-2015, 12:56 AM
Fry them up and make breakfast burritos

1buckie
08-29-2015, 05:08 AM
Beans, Potato Salad, Baked Potatoes, Greens, Brocolli, Brussels Sprouts, Omelets, Sweet Potatoes, plus all that has been said above. Bacon trimmings are good for anything IMO.

2nd item.......

Deep Fried Tater Salad

Chunk up Yukons or reds....soak for a short bit in water....dry off (just a quick dry in paper towels, etc.) deep fry....deep fry your ends, cut into small pieces....mix w/ celery, onion & whatever else you think to add ......
I've added artichoke hearts (UN-marinated, because the marinade overpowers) olives maybe....pickles, yes....I use bread & butters....

Here's a more concise rundown posted at Weber Kettle:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/deep-fried-potato-salad/msg124768/#msg124768